Thread: wood stove heat distribution

Default wood stove heat distribution

The fans just are not distributing the air to the back rooms ,The den is 85 the back room is 65 . Anybody ever run duct work above the stove in the ceiling with a blower motor to other rooms ? Or any other ideas the last 2 days at 89 is hot ,Feel like I'm in Carolina again
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Growing up we had a blower motor feed our whole house. It wasn't a huge place, but the wood stove was in the basement and there were two floors above that. All I know is that we hated the furnace, it was never as warm as the wood heat.

How long is your run? You may be able to do an in-line motor if it is just one run.

I have a single level about 1800 Sq ft ,I was going to run it to the back bedroom about 20 ft.

Heat distribution from a wood stove totally depends on the design of your house. Ranch style houses are the worst because the heat usually has to get from one end, down a hall, into rooms at the opposite end. Fans and ducting are the best solution, but not always real effective. Unfortunately, modern houses aren't always designed with wood heat in mind.

Default re moving heat

I had wood stove business in CO for 15+ years and have run into this many time in the past.
    First of all single story homes are very hard to heat because you have to create a natural confection with in the house. If you can not create a viod for the heat to go the cold will not move.
    There are several options to travel on this. If you have a furnace in place then you can add a HEATING / COOLING T-Stat. PM me on this and i will go into more detail.

If you don't, then the next is as stated earlier by using a insulated flex duck into the far side of the house. This has to be installed as flat as possible in the attic and will create natural movment of warm air. If you wish to get fancy then install a low end fan on the far side away from the heat( it will last longer) install a T-stat so you will not have to turn it on and off.

The other option is there are 6x6 door fans to be had that are designed to mount right in the door on the upper corners.

Either way you go you have to leave doors open for all this to work right.
    I hope this helps T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Our stove is about to be installed in the living room of the lower level. We were concerned about getting heat down the hall to the bedrooms. Our plan is to install a room-to-room fan exchanger in the living room wall that butts up against my son's bedroom. Then another in the far wall shared between that room and my daughter's bedroom. Here is a link to what we are looking to use:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90186+500971

Here is where we got the idea - scroll down to where the pics are in the vaulted ceiling wall:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index...ead/14900/P15/
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    The other option is there are 6x6 door fans to be had that are designed to mount right in the door on the upper corners.
    Where do they sell those ? I have seen them on the internet but have never been able to find them.Right now I have 3 box fans hanging from the ceiling in 3 rooms it's working but looks funny

jmg
    I thought about those but my cabin is all set up wrong for that.

Default Circulating Fans

The air movement fans are available at Grainger.com
    They also have the insulated ducting in 20 foot lengths.

They have a store in Anchorage & I believe one in Fairbanks

Default Roger

I am not sure where up here you would find it. I use to order them from a company that i bought chimney suplies from called Copperfields. I think i have seen them in the past at places like Homedepot, walmart, places like that. I am still new in AK so i am not sure what all is out there to be had. T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Where do they sell those ?
    http://www.plowhearth.com/product.as...type=&pcode=78

If you can't buy online you can try a woodstove store.

Grew up in a rancher with a wood stove at one end and BR's at the other. Dad installed an insulated air duct, with a 6" fan in one end, in the attic going from the room with the stove to the hallway that all the BR's were off of. It sotra helped but I still remember it being really cold in that end of the house. Not sure how well insulated the duct was but you can always add extra insulation to keep the air as warm as possible.

Right now in current house (a rancher also with a wood stove at one end and BR's at other) we use a box fan and it helps a lot to get the warm air out of the LR to the kitchen and dining room but BR's are still cold if we don't turn our CAC circulating fan on. We basically use the box fan to get the air to the CAC return and let the whole house fan do the rest.

In a 2 story house, especially with high ceilings, use a ceiling fan to get the air circulating. It works pretty good in our house. We have a cathedral ceiling over the living room with a fan. We keep the fan on its slowest speed and just let it run 24/7. All it takes is a little air circulation to really distribute the heat throughout the house.

Default Doorway fans

I found these fan just the other day at a place online call hearth & plow, they looked better than the older ones that i use to sell. They were not too expensive if i recall.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''