Thread: Pt. Mackenzie?

Default Pt. Mackenzie?

Anybody been out that way? Is the Refuge open yet to travel? Any Pike being caught Flathorn? Trail Boss, mentioned Yentna, Skwentna, Maybe Mr, Pid jump in here.

I was out there two days ago. Very little snow, varied from about 4 to 7 inches along the full length of the pipeline. The refuge was still closed on Saturday. There were about 30 or more people fishing at Figure 8 and Flathorn. All I saw laying on the ice, were small and very small hammerhandle's. The creek coming out of Flathorn was wide open and about 40 feet across and real deep, at the pipeline intersection, so no going on out to the Su from that point.

Default Conditions

Trail to Figure 8 good. Trail to Flathorn good. Fish Creek was wide open at the gasline crossing 2 days ago. Stay on main trails, Game Flats not open yet - too little snow.

Parking? Someone said it was, pay parking now, at old school parking lot. State always got there hand in your pocket.
    If refuge is closed how to get to fig. 8 without crossing into it?

The parking area adjacent to the LP gas plant at Point McKenzie does have a pay station. It was there last year, too.

I saw the lower Su from the air on Saturday. From what I saw I have no reason to go there. Very little snow. Open leads on the Su. Jumbled ice. I'll wait. There's plenty of winter ahead of us.

Ah! There you are I fig. this thread get your attention Mr. Pid I heard the same, for you to get to your place there would be water to deal with. Little snow. I should be ok if i can get to North end Flathorn. Guy i know was one of those fishing all small ones,And a hassel at the road,He didn,t want to pay so parked down on the end, along the Rd. Farmer guy came out told he couldn,t park there,Had to move so forth guess got little ugly there for a bit. What you thoughts on the us land owners Maybe getting a break on these fee,s We pay Taxe,s and really have no other sevices to speak of that we use, except for that. Just a thought.

Default to get to the lakes ?

do you use the trails to get to Flat horn or Figure 8 is that so ?????

Mark

I believe the pipeline corridor and the two trails (1 to Flathorn and 1 to Figure 8) are considered "easements", or have a general permit that allows usage after Nov 10. I used to have a DNR or ADFG website bookmarked with that stated and I'd print it out before I would go out there, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I believe the pipeline corridor and the two trails (1 to Flathorn and 1 to Figure 8) are considered "easements", or have a general permit that allows usage after Nov 10. I used to have a DNR or ADFG website bookmarked with that stated and I'd print it out before I would go out there, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
    That's correct, general permit for the gasline (full length), to figure 8 and flathorn lakes. You do have to remain on the designated trails though or risk getting a ticket. The trails are clearly marked with posts and well defined, as there has been a bunch of people going to fish for pike.

ADFG Pg. 66. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/refuge/pdfs/susitna.pdf Pg.10. Is this what you thinking of Mark.
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 11-18-2008 at 22:25. Reason: add more

Default Pt. Mac Parking

Concerning the parking at Pt. Mac: Yes I agree, for folks with remote property in the lower Su that pay taxes out the wazoo to the Mad Zoo Borough and get nothing for it - they should get a sticker and get to park for free. At least then they would get something for their tax dollars.

I personally say screw the Mad Zoo Borough. I park at the Pt. Mac Store instead. The cost is the same - $3.00 a day. Yes it adds an extra six miles (3 out and 3 back) to your trip. But I'd rather get better security for my vehicle and give money to nice folks (General Store owners Julie and Jeff) than piss more money into the Mad Zoo black hole.

+1 To That. Yea the store good option.