Thread: good place to get rabbits/ grouse near anchorage

Default good place to get rabbits/ grouse near anchorage

I am relatively new to town and just got a new 10/22 and was wondering if there are any places near town to go shoot rabits or grouse? i have had good luck up near eska creek but my wheeling rig has a blown motor right now and i really want to go shoot. feel free to PM me if you dont want to tell your spot on the open forum, or if you are free this saturday i will pick you up and i will drive.

Any help is greatly apprecuiated, i really dont know many people in town and get bored easy sitting at home.

Thanks,

Ryan

Went out today and hunted the area across for the Jim Creek shooting gallery. Hunted the thick stuff and kicked the stumps. Nothing, not even a sighting. So I would say that area is a no go. Think going to Lake Louise the next go around.

Default Long Lake - On Glenn Hiway

There used to be some decent rabbit hunting up around long lake on the Glenn - Also around mile 89 just north of there. There are some newer land owners in the area - so be sure and check 1st.

any one know any place that is closer or in the wasilla area? even if you have to hike in i am game?

or anything between anchorgae and palmer besides jim creek?

Got 2 rabbits at Pt. Mac today, 2wd car accessible, no wheeler needed. Have gotten lots of grouse in same area, but none today. Want ptarmigan? Go above treeline to any mountain ridge in SSC Alaska, and you will probably find ptarmigan.

Default Knik river area

Ryan,
    the easiest place to get to around Anchorage/ Palmer rea is the Knik river access road. All you have to do is drive towards Wasilla from Anchorage and take the Knik river acess turn off ( It is right after the first river bridge) Once you take that exit, just park on the shoulder and walk into the tree line to your right. You will go over the train tracks and there are plenty of bunnies in that area for sure. I would suggest hitting it early enough to beat the crowds b/c alot of people know of/ use the area for rabbits. It is extremely thick down there (where the AK rabbits like to be), so just walk slowly and wait for em to jump up. Good luck and post the pics...

David

Default houston

gobs of bunnies, just go for a walk. Myself I'm gonna sneak around by the little su to fill up the stew pot. If youd like to go give me a call
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    gobs of bunnies, just go for a walk. Myself I'm gonna sneak around by the little su to fill up the stew pot. If youd like to go give me a call
    Is it hard to find public land to hunt in the Houston area? I'm never had a chance to really look around out there.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

lots of tree'd swamps both sides of the town with lots of public ground to explore. Trails systems from big lake to nancy and everywhere in between. I think motor mushers has a map of the area trails
    Μολών λαβέ

I was at the Little Su today, did the rounds, no bunnies. They are in deep hiding from all the traffic out there as of late.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Went out today and hunted the area across for the Jim Creek shooting gallery. Hunted the thick stuff and kicked the stumps. Nothing, not even a sighting. So I would say that area is a no go. Think going to Lake Louise the next go around.
    Assuming your talking about the Knick river road side. Not exactly a small game paradise but I have picked up a few birds and bunnies along the river. This year the small game hunting has been for poo on my side of the river. If I hike out back up the mountain a ways it gets a little better but the country is strait up and strait down and I don't tolerate trespassers.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick how much land do you own?

Lots of rabbit out in the houston trail system around the little su.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Lots of rabbit out in the houston trail system around the little su.

i have heard that from a couple people now.

i might have to go check that one out too if i ever get a day off!!

I would be careful of what others tell you, this is just FYI and nothing more . We spend many hours off both sides of Houston/Little Su manning our rabbit snares. There aren't as many as you are being told, that being said, there are a few. I just want you to be aware that you will at one point end up on (one of the 4 kids I know who are snaring there) rabbit snare line that belongs to some kids I know who are being mentored in the world of trapping. I recall some other trappers not liking the idea of folks being on their trap lines. We don't mind, just don't get caught tampering with anything. Happy Hunting!

My buddy was out there this weekend and got several buns and a some grouse, lots of things moving with the warm weather
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Give me a call and ill go with ya. Hunting partners 9076028989

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post