Thread: Mushing Pics from Today

Default Mushing Pics from Today

Had a good day on the trail today. Caught some sun right after leaving home:

Hit some overflow a few miles out, which is always a bummer as it takes time to bonk the rig off and scrape it clean again. Ended up breaking out some flats on the way back home:

And this higher flat that cuts off a big horseshoe in the river:

Was -10 or or so when I left, -5 on the return with clouds moving in. Dogs did well, first time I've had all eight of them out together so far. My leader is in heat, and so is my swing dog, the only two females in the team. Makes for some uh...shall we say "interesting" scenarios on the trail and in the yard <grin>. Maybe six inches of snow total here, really not enough for good going overland yet. Hoping for more snow and hope the rest of you mushers get some too.
    Best to all,

I always like your pictures. These are awsome thank you for posting them.

Good looking dog team you got there Bushrat!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Leader and swing in heat? Lol sorry, just have to chuckle at that fun. When you have them in single file like that, does the gang line rub on them? Does it make them more prone to getting it under their legs? I have only run in pairs, or singly but with other dogs in the team paired up so was just wondering.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default Hey Georganna...and single-file team

Georganna, how much snow do you guys have there?

Inre running in single file, I'm using fairly short tug lines, so the wheel dog and the one in front of him end up jumping the line or going under it quite a bit on windy trails. My old wheel dog used to like to run with the gangline between his legs, new wheel dog doesn't. It can be a problem, especially going overland with a lot of tussocks and up and downs...if those two dogs run with the gangline between their legs it can really rub on their testicles and cause sores. On the trapline trails I end up having to untwist the tug lines of the last two dogs quite a bit because they jump the line then go under, jump and go under and it ends up wrapping around the gangline. Just can't run double with those long tugs like you guys do, very narrow trails I'm using with an 18"-wide toboggan. So even on the river without a wider rig there is not enough of a trail to run double.

Yeah, this is great fun (not!) having our two females in heat. I tell ya, I am getting very frustrating going overland and having all the males stop at every tree to pee! I'll be glad when it is over and when there is no danger too of the females getting bred. As you know, just a hassle all the way around.

How's biz? You taking clients out yet?
    Best, Mark

More great pics mr. bushrat best of all don't see any motored tracks, just those of your dogs! Beautiful country your a lucky man
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Bushrat, great pics. Thanks for sharing them.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    It can be a problem, especially going overland with a lot of tussocks and up and downs.
    Undoubtedly this is beyond a total newbie question, but how does that affect their run/tug?

Moose-head,

The main gangline (that all the tug lines and neck lines are attached to) is about fifty feet long with an 8-dog team. What happens is that when the toboggan is riding over a tussock, the rest of team is already much lower, and toward the rear of team the gangline would likely be shoulder-high on the dogs. (Imagine the rig is going over a downed log to picture that scenario, and what happens when the rig is on top of the log.) So if one of the rear dogs has the gangline between its legs it will rub badly on their bellies/testicles. It can even lift them into the air as well when you are going over some large tussocks. There is just a lot of momentum and force there.

Not sure if that 'splains it but I tried <grin>.

That does explain what happens quite well. (Remember total noob here so sorry for silly questions ) is that a common occurance? How does that effect their run? What happens if it goes on too much/long? If they get Rubbed bare what do you do?

It was a problem with my old wheel dog now passed on, and some other past males who would let it rub their testicles. I don't have that problem now with any of the dogs. Tried various things in the past to try to stop it. Tried wrapping/taping cloth of some kind around the gangline at that spot, but it didn't tend to stay on very long as the gangline on sharp turns in the woods often rubs against trees. Tried tying a diaper around the dog to cover testicles...that didn't last long either. There just didn't seem to be a solution if I couldn't get the dog to not run with gangline between legs. Only solution was to stay off overland trails on the flats...which was impossible. On good snow years it alleviated much of it as it filled in all the holes and made everything fairly flat. It didn't seem to affect the dogs any way when they were running in the team...these bush dogs tend to be pretty tough and it's hard to tell when they are hurting, and in the past some of my bigger wheel dogs weren't too big on the brains department either <grin>. We used to put ointment on the dogs that would get rubbed, and sometimes give them some time off. Not much else we could do.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Georganna, how much snow do you guys have there?

Inre running in single file, I'm using fairly short tug lines, so the wheel dog and the one in front of him end up jumping the line or going under it quite a bit on windy trails. My old wheel dog used to like to run with the gangline between his legs, new wheel dog doesn't. It can be a problem, especially going overland with a lot of tussocks and up and downs...if those two dogs run with the gangline between their legs it can really rub on their testicles and cause sores. On the trapline trails I end up having to untwist the tug lines of the last two dogs quite a bit because they jump the line then go under, jump and go under and it ends up wrapping around the gangline. Just can't run double with those long tugs like you guys do, very narrow trails I'm using with an 18"-wide toboggan. So even on the river without a wider rig there is not enough of a trail to run double.

Yeah, this is great fun (not!) having our two females in heat. I tell ya, I am getting very frustrating going overland and having all the males stop at every tree to pee! I'll be glad when it is over and when there is no danger too of the females getting bred. As you know, just a hassle all the way around.

How's biz? You taking clients out yet?
    Best, Mark
    Oh yes I could see where they would get wound up. I knew you run narrow trails and sled.

No clients yet. Jan and the handler has taken the sleds out already though I dare say, the trails are still a bit rough.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?