Thread: Inside Passage trip, 2009

Default Inside Passage trip, 2009

I am tenatively planning on bringing my new boat up the inside passage in the springtime, at least as far as Juneau. I have been reading books on it, but I was wondering if you guys can give me any insite as to where to stop at and where to fish at along the way.

Specifically I am looking for halibut and salmon spots along the way, along as any sightseeing opportunities from those that know the area.

I would like to get my boat up here early, so I am thinking of sometime like early May. Any advice on the timing would be great as well. I plan on using the Alaska Ferry from Juneau to Whittier, which runs twice a month. I will have my trailer shipped from Bellingham to Juneau, and then put the boat on it there using a friends truck, and pick them up in Whittier.

I promise not to deplete any of your spots, since I will only be there once. Feel free to PM me with suggestions if you don't want to make them public.

Jim

Default Inside Passage

That will be a nice trip. There are some good spots to fish along the way up, you probably will not get into halibut until the Port Hardy area.
    Crabbing gets better also north of Hardy. You should be able to get some chinook at that time of year. Khutze inlet across from pricess royal island usually has a few halibut and cod plus the crabbing is good. This area has a population of kermode, grizzly and black bears which you may see also. Bishop bay has a nice hot springs which is worth a visit.
    What type of boat are you bringing up?

Chuck

Thanks for the information Chuck,

The boat I am bringing up will be a 31' Aluminum with a Volvo Penta D6 diesel, currently being built by Seawolf Marine. Here is a link to the boat:

http://www.seawolfmarine.com/30/index.html

Jim

Thumbs up trip up

You might want to recheck the ferry from Juneau to Whittier, I work on it and we as a crew have been told that by May we will be back on a once per month cross gulf schedule. If that happens space for a 31ft. boat (most likely approx 38 ft overall w/outdrives and trailer) would be at a premium...be sure to book as early as possible. I leave tommorrow to go to work and will be back in 2 weeks, pm me if you wish.

Default HP?

I have a similar boat but with a D4. How many hp will your D6 be? What will you be able to hold for fuel?
    Maybe we should switch this to the boating forum

Chuck,

It is a 370HP D6, and the boat will hold 198 gallons of Diesel and 9 gallons of gasoline for the 9.9 kicker. I will carry 20 gallons or more of extra gas in case I have to rely on the kicker.

The boat cruises at 30mph and burns 9 gph, yielding around 3.1 mpg and a range of over 600 miles, so I don't plan on carrying any spare diesel.

Also, I would not mind hooking up with another boat on the way up, so if anyone is considering the trip, let me know. I just made my ferry reservation today for the Juneau to Whittier leg, which will be the May 26th sailing -- Thanks for the tip Kjashen, they are only going once a month this summer.

Jim

Jim,

So what does it cost to ferry the boat and trailer across the Gulf? Sounds like a great trip.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Volvo trip computer

Do you have the trip computer for your D6? I have it installed on mine and also interfaced it with my raymaine system, it is pretty slick. It gives you range,hours till empty and gpm among other things.
    That is pretty good economy! What will the boat weigh? I'm 28 o.a.l. with a 10' beam and weigh loaded about 8500lbs and that is what i'm getting for economy. Top speed of 41mph and a cruise at 30.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chuck,

The boat is still being built. It will have the standard Volvo Penta electronics. I am not sure what you mean by it having a trip computer. Loaded the boat was 11,370 lbs with full water, fuel and one person. I have the sea trial numbers from one they finished a couple of months ago that had the exact same configuration as I am getting, and I have seen other numbers from running another one of these myself and they are consistenly in the same range. The top speed is 40.5mph at 1.92 mpg and the economy cruise was at 30mph. The boat has a 10'6" beam.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Jim,

So what does it cost to ferry the boat and trailer across the Gulf? Sounds like a great trip.

Pete,

Just got my numbers back. It costs $2224 to get the empty trailer from Bellingham to Juneau, and then $2433 to get the boat on the trailer from Juneau to Whittier. If you are thinking about putting your boat on there to get it down to southeast to play around with for a while, the trick is to find someone in Juneau that will offload your boat for you. If not, it will cost a bunch more to send your truck along. Also, I am sending it unaccompanied, so there are no charges here for me on the ferry. Fortunately I have a friend in Juneau that will do the offload of the trailer and the onload of the boat and trailer together. The key here is to have a true friend, since he has to meet the ferry at 1:45am to get my trailer, and I think they say he may have to wait up to three hours to get it.

Jim

Thanks for the info, Jim. I suspected it would be a couple grand. I look forward to hearing the account of your trip. The Inside Passage is on my list of places to boat...some day.

Thanks

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Trip computer

This was an option when I got my engine. What it will do is show you fuel burn rate, ecomomy, time left until empty & distance until empty when you connect it with a gps. If you want I'll try to find the info on it and pass it on.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    This was an option when I got my engine. What it will do is show you fuel burn rate, ecomomy, time left until empty & distance until empty when you connect it with a gps. If you want I'll try to find the info on it and pass it on.

Chuck
    I know that I have the burn rate, and I think most of the information you are talking about. Don't worry about digging into it more. My dash is fixed at this point, and I am trying to get 'out the door' without spending any more money.

Jim

Jim-

Shoot me an eMail or PM when the trip gets closer... The places to stop, stay and fish are virtually unlimited, depending how much accommodation you decide you need at night.

I'm not sure what my schedule for May will be just yet, but chances are great we can meet up for at least a portion of the trip (maybe a lighthouse tour and some fishing)...

In all the 34 times I've made that run, it's never the same, and always a life-changing experience. I'd love to make the full run with you, but it looks like the Can Can is heading in the opposite direction right about then... at least we have fair odds of crossing paths!

Happy Alaska Travels.
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]