Thread: My first grouse....

Default My first grouse....

yeah well actually it would be my living room windows' grouse ... but I'm sure it will taste fine ...

so far this year I've gotten....
    1 snowshoe hare
    1 grouse

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

alright it was great lunch (even my 3 y/o was munchin on it.) just melted butter in a pan w/ some pepper spices and cut up breast meat to "sautee" and it was mmmmmmmmmm.good.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

all.right I went outside to dispose of some leftover feathers and wings.. threw them into the ravine ... well I hear flapping and I though ohh well here come the ravens... but NO theres another one flying into the tree next to the house (trying to be sporty-I had to get him in flight).. well one shot with the .22 and he was down ... now I have some for my wife as she has never had any..

2 in one day.. cool. yummy..

Default Yea right,

OK Billy-the-Kid, you shot one in flight? With a .22 cal? Maybe I'm the devil's advocate, but.......

filled the freezer 4 out of 5 total count grouse

yeah i apparently took out a bunch of tail feather on the shot and it landed on my garage roof and was stuck in the snow ... I got it down with a snow shovel and finished it with a hatchet head

I couldnt say I was billy the kid , the first grouse took 4 shots, total on 4 grouse was 13 rounds.. unsighted buckmark .22

I tend to state my accomplishments ,not glorify my mistakes... I'll try and level them out for the board..

Default shooting grouse with 22

well i dont know about you but shooting grouse wit ha 22 out of the air is unethical and dangerous if you ask me. whose 22 rounds fly for ever and if you miss were is that round landing. prob not the greatest read for our young hunters. just me 2 cents

he lives in Glennallen so odds are he could find a pretty safe background for that type of shooting. Now as far as his wing shooting with a .22 it isn't really hard to believe at all... I have one friend that I witnessed shoot a clay out of the air at about 40 yards (akman00 here on the board you can ask him). I have also witnessed a half doz bunnies shot on the run with rifles. I personally won't risk hitting them in the breast and prefer to wait till they stick that long neck out to get a good look at me before taking a shot.

I am with LuJon. We don't know what type of area he lives in, the angle he shot at, nothing, just that he shot at one in the air. So quick to bash. Just a heads up for hunters out near knik, even with the short distance of shotguns don't shoot at grouse up in the trees, you will cover at least 34 hunters with pellets. As for the kids reading on the forum, I am sure there are quite a few on here that have had their parents let them pick one out of a tree with a .22 after it flew off the trail. That's shooting into the air. They don't always hang out on the ground or they'd be small turkeys.
    CaribouHunter1 make sure with that while caribou hunting you never shoot at a sky lined one. Especially if he is standing on one of those little humps of tundra on the Haul road with a little dip behind him. If I miss an up hill 200 yard caribou shot with my .338 and the bullet crests the ridge at the 500 yard mark barely skimming the top where will it land? Sighted in at 200, 42 inch drop at 500 yards, the back side of the hill is at least 800 yards to the bottom and the angle of the backside hill is 28 degrees.

O.K. now seriously, jumping to the conclusion that he didn't know what was behind that shot, who else might be walking in that deep remote valley that he may or may not live in, or the fact that he had the gun elevated to the position that he was launching small mortars into the town of Glennallen is wrong. If YOU teach your kids right from wrong reading this post isn't gonna affect them one way or another. Now if you turn them loose on here and expect them to get their know how's and do's and don'ts from this site you're in a bad situation already.

ret25yo- what hacks me off is you didn't save those wings and feathers for some marten or cats in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post

ret25yo- what hacks me off is you didn't save those wings and feathers for some marten or cats in your area.

you got me ... I was filling the freezer .... I am very aware of my surrounding and my "firing range" I believe I have enough experience to notice shooting hazards (these were .22 short rounds) at the angle and distance I was shooting from my rounds would have hit a tree or dropped into the copper river... // ... I have noticed the wings and feathers are gone from where I left them ( I only have a small game license right now so they were no further use to me.. )

Wink No disrespect meant...

ret25, I didn't say you didn't take a flying grouse out of the air with a .22 shot, or that it couldn't be done, just amazed is all. Now if you could do that consistently.....you'd sure 1. save money on amunition not having to buy ever increasing shot gun shells and 2. you're a serious misallocation of skill up in Glennallen. You need to put that skill to work with big bores in Southwest Asia and take out some of those freedom hating scoundrels we're up against.....but....something tells me that's where you acquired a bit-o-your skill. Kill them grouse and cook 'em up! Nothing better!

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    You need to put that skill to work with big bores in Southwest Asia and take out some of those freedom hating scoundrels we're up against.....but....something tells me that's where you acquired a bit-o-your skill. Kill them grouse and cook 'em up! Nothing better!
    LT's. gunner (Iraq)- .50 cal
    BFV gunner (Iraq) - 25MM chain
    M24 Sniper System (Iraq Overwatch) - Match .308
    9mm
    M-4 -5.56
    M203 - grenade 40mm
    all qualed expert. but the 203 took twice to get exp. and the BFV took 2 times through the gauntlet to get the position of lt's gunner w/my driver

been there, done that , got the purple heart and was sent home,..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

dad always said "flying birds are a waist of ammo"..we shoot them to eat them not to play with it..... as for shooting in the air in Glenallen either a persons never been there, or they blinked, and missed it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    dad always said "flying birds are a waist of ammo"..we shoot them to eat them not to play with it..... as for shooting in the air in Glenallen either a persons never been there, or they blinked, and missed it.
    I stopped in there recently and put 10 gallons of their finest petrol in my truck...2 bottles of heet and a bottle of fuel system cleaner later the rig is finally running right again.

ret25yo

I've never given a rats *ss about the "rep's points" on this forum but you just some from me .

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    LT's. gunner (Iraq)- .50 cal
    BFV gunner (Iraq) - 25MM chain
    M24 Sniper System (Iraq Overwatch) - Match .308
    9mm
    M-4 -5.56
    M203 - grenade 40mm
    all qualed expert. but the 203 took twice to get exp. and the BFV took 2 times through the gauntlet to get the position of lt's gunner w/my driver

been there, done that , got the purple heart and was sent home,..

thanks...

Default sorry

well sorry if i jumped to conclusions but i really didnt think about it i guess when i wrote. i used to hunt squirrels back in illinois with 22 and most shots were in the trees. so sorry if i affended someone but not my intentions. so well dun and keep up the good shooting.
    Last edited by caribouhunter1; 11-23-2008 at 23:07. Reason: spelling

well I'm getting my son a pellet rifle.. .177 for Christmas so (we) I can use it to get local critters here..

I remember when I was about 5 or 6 I was carrying my BB gun and a spruce hen flew up, raised the gun and fired, he leveled out, went about 100 feet a smashed right into a tree,I thought to myself "WOW" I walked over there and he was on the ground blind as a bat looking all around. Well you know the rest of the story ( don't know if I blinded him or the tree did)