Thread: Are you kidding me???

Default Are you kidding me???

Anyone read the big headline in the Daily New Miner this morning about the mallards behind the Carlson Center. That guy needs to be banded and sent on his way. These are migratory birds and need to do their natural habits and migrate. I cant beleive he started a feed the ducks fund....you have to be kidding me...I think this is total bull****....

Well, I've called them "Welfare Ducks" for years!

According to fish and feathers last year, no one is allowed to even harvest those birds (It would have to be a bow because of city limits.) because they are considered as baited game.

There was a big article last winter about them. Evidently fish and feathers had overwhelming phone calls about harvesting those birds.

I say if those birds have adapted not to fly for warmer weather...To bad and let nature take its course.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

That guy called my husband to ask for DU (Ducks Unlimited) money to care for those "starving" ducks last winter. My hubby told him politely that he was crazy and that DU would not be giving him any money.
    If someone was giving you free food would you move?
    Those ducks are not stupid regards,
    sherri
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wasnt going to say anything ...........but since you brought it up, I was under the impression that you where not allowed to "feed" wildlife in general other than baiting and with that said are you nort supposed to attend a class for that purpose? So how is it he can "feed" wild birds which fall under federal law and not be cited for this?

I know Im going from Birds to Bears but would this not be the same as me going out and baiting um! "feeding" the bears? Hell maybe come spring Ill throw a bunch of feed out in creamers field real close to the fence so I can get better pictures.....cant get in trouble for that can ya?

Hey Bowtech how bout we start a feed the bears fund? Man its a long ways up to my bait stations and them bears sure are hungry Sorry bud I just had to poke a little fun at the situation so Id feel better......but In all seriousness I think this is wrong what he is doing and on another note, I almost had the feds on me last year about some baby ducks that where being run'd over on the Richardson and I called the local Fed office and asked If it was alright for me to pick them up and haul the off the bridge so they'd have a chance since the Hen was already dead and I swear that guy dang near gave me an earfull for attempting to touch a federal bird and asked me a ton of question basically trying to catch me in a lie and a few hours later I had a return call hmmmm! how'd he get my number. Well there's more to that but this is long enuf. Daniel

What i don't get here is what is stopping people then from going out and feeding birds in another location during the season and then shooting them. They should not be able to feed the birds or they should open up and archery season for them I would probably make that drive for that

The article related the feeding of the ducks to bird feeders everyone has - Both are feeding wild life. Not saying it is correct thing to do but the ducks have been wintering over longer than the guy has been feeding them - Open water keeps them here - his feeding them probably increases the number. If you travel to Delta and Fielding Lake you will find open water year round with mallards that stay the winter and no one is feeding them. Doesn't fish and feathers feed the birds at Creamers every spring to entice them in?

I think there might be some confusion. There is nothing against feeding wildlife, baiting, yes, feeding no. Now feeding bears, that is an entirely different subject. Almost all birds, including waterfowl are managed by the feds. Bears, since they don't migrate, are managed by the state so the rules are state specific.

As for feeding the mallards. A hugely bad idea. If there is natural open water and plenty of natural food then ducks over wintering up here is what they do. But think back historically, birds don't winter up here very often because food is unreliable. I didn't say unavailable but unreliable. If you are a mallard and can make it work, great, if not you die. That is why most birds that can make the flight, fly south for the winter. It is a more reliable source of food. This guy feeding the ducks tricks them into thinking food is abundant and therefore reliable. If anything is to happen to that food source...the guy runs out of money, dies, or anything else...they won't be able to make the flight south. Come February, it is a hell of a long flight to get far enough south to get past the freeze line and find open water and food. Mallards aren't adapted to make a continuous non-stop multi thousand mile flight given a failure in the food source or a serious freeze that closed up the open water.

As an avid hunter and biologist I applaud LastFronteirLabs and DU for their response. In general DU is one of the best and biggest land conservation groups in north america. I am glad to hear the local chapter had the common sense to not get involved in this. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Doesn't fish and feathers feed the birds at Creamers every spring to entice them in?
    This is an entirely different situation. Those birds are attracted to Creamers purposely to keep them off of Ft. Wainwright and the Airport. If they weren't attracted away from those areas, they would be shot and killed like they are at Eielson AFB.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default You sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by LastFrontierLabs View Post
    This is an entirely different situation. Those birds are attracted to Creamers purposely to keep them off of Ft. Wainwright and the Airport. If they weren't attracted away from those areas, they would be shot and killed like they are at Eielson AFB.
    Folks, I don't know the Fairbanks situation much, so I admit I speak from ignorance of the details. But we had airport geese here in Anchorage for years. What finally got them off the airport property was the airport police shooting a few of them. Yes, I have first-hand knowledge of that. It happened after the AWACS incident over at Elmendorf AFB. So I would question whether ADFG MUST feed waterfowl at Creamer's Field to keep them off the airport property. I would bet that ADFG either has another reason for this baiting, or they have not tried forcing the geese off the airport. Believe me, it works. Those birds are smart.

For the record we have lots of waterfowl that nest in the Anchorage bowl every spring... but they don't use the airport anymore.

Not challenging anyone here, just tossing in another thought.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay