Thread: 06 Expedition electrical problem

Default 06 Expedition electrical problem

Hello All

I could use some advice from the more electrically inclined on the board.

06 Expedition sport 550 fan no modifications 700 miles.

Got it out of the garage where it was stored for the summer started it up and there were no headlights.

Went for a ride around the house and hit the high beam button and the lights came on and seemed extra bright stayed on for 2 seconds and died. Went down the street 200 yds and the parking brake light the oil level light and the over temp light came on, when I rev it up the digital mileage display seems to fade, let off and it is visible again.

The headlight fuse is OK and there is NO voltage to the headlight fuse.

The taillight and brake light seem normal as do the handwarmers.

If I shut it down and start back up the dash lights act normal until I increase rpm for about 45 seconds then they come back on and stay on. The headlight never has come back on.

I sure hope this sounds familiar to somebody. I ordered a shop manual yesterday, but if anybody has any ideas, it would save me some time as electrical problems are not my strong suit, if I even have a strong suit!

Thanks for your time
    Wade

Sound like your voltage regulator is bad.

The voltage going to your light is AC is your V meter on AC or DC?

Do you have a battery?

Thanks for the reply.

No battery.

The meter is an older Fluke 25, had it on DC for the headlight test.

Thanks
    Wade

You need to measure AC. Rev-up the engine and see if go over 13V ac. If it around 15-16v the regulator is bad. 15-16 v will burn out your light.

Thanks for the help.

I measured the voltage at the tail light 13+/- volts at idle then it dropped to 9+/- at increased rpm, just before the clutch engaged.

When it was just started before it had this problem, if it was about to stall from low rpm because it was cold ,the same lights would come on on the dash.

Can a voltage regulator fail in such a way that the voltage drops at increased rpm?

Thanks
    Wade

On a snowmobile the ac voltage changed frequency and amplitude as the rpm go up and down. Your using a digital volt meter, a digital volt meter sample the ac voltage. If the frequency is changing as the voltage is going up and down. You will get a bad reading.

"Can a voltage regulator fail in such a way that the voltage drops at increased rpm?"

I don't know. sorry

Talked to your Polaris Dealer.

I read your first post again. Sound like your head light are burn out.If you replace them they will burn out if you don't replace the volt regular.

Default 2007 mxz 550 f with same problem

I just purchase a 2007 mxz 550 f with the exact same problem. Upon advice from a snowmobile mechanic, I purchased a new voltage regulator that did not solve the problem. Do you have a fix for this problem? If so, please tell me.

Thanks

Sorry I just saw your ?.

I put in a voltage regulator and all seems well, but I only rode it around the yard. It hasn't snowed here in a month.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Good luck
    Wade

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php Dig around there on there history, might find something usefull on there treads. There some pretty sharp guys on there. My first thought was volt reg. too. or maybe the charging/lighting coil. good luck, Letus Know what you find!
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 01-10-2009 at 12:04. Reason: more