Thread: Russian river silvers

Default Russian river silvers

Has anyone been down there lately? How is the silver fishing?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default heading to the Russian and Kenai

I just posted a similar question...I'll keep an eye on your posting as well.

Default Last Week

I was fishing silvers on the Russian a week ago. Fishing was great. Lot of silvers and most of them still pretty fresh though some were showing considerable color. Have to work through the old reds and the smell of the dead ones. Rainbow fishing was exceptional and dollies were everywhere. I just about wore out my new 5wt (I went in looking for rainbows and dollies but couldn't resist taking a shot at the silvers. I wouldn't try them on a 5 wt anywhere else).

Hopefully you'll find plenty still available. Last year I had good luck through Sep....Rob

rob on the trout what were you using? if a bead what color?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Russian River Silvers

I fished the confluence of the russian and the kenai today. Most of the silvers were up stream by the grayling parking lot or below the ferry in the kenai. I got two silvers in the Kenai that were bright silver. Many more of them too. I didn't take care of them until I got home and they both had that parasite that they get. They smell awfull. Three out of my last four from down there had that parasite. If anyone has some good reading on this I would sure like to know more about it. Good luck fishing, plenty of silvers in the russian and below the ferry.

Default Trout

AlaskaGray -

Used both beads and flies. Started with beads and then switched over after a while. Action was pretty good both ways. Beads I was using a color called salmon swirl. I have very poor color vision so I can't tell you for sure what color they are (look to be a washed out pink to me). They worked very well. As for flies, I was fishing a Battle Creek special and later I switched over to an egg sucking leech. very light pink on the egg, purple body. I have fished the same pattern before in a black body anbd done well also. With the salmon dying off in there at the rate they were, flesh flies or white woolly buggers should be good soon. Unfortunately, I am done for the year. The Air Force sent me to Texas last December so I have to squeeze my time in when I can get leave. No matter, I hit 30 years and mandatory retirement in three years.....then it is back home to Alaska.

Tight Lines....Rob

Thank headed down there tomorrow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK