Thread: cats

Default cats

Once a cat is frozen how long do lice live ?

not long..........leave it out all night,you'll be good in the a.m. But a visual check is the best way.

I have been throwing them into a garbage bag and spraying raid into it. I would leave them about 4-5 hours in a cool area. Once they freeze it takes a day or so to get them thawed good. Plus if you leave them to long they get green belly and DUDE it stinks when your skinning them. This has been my experience so far. Good luck!

Default longer than a night

You need to leave a frozen cat out side longer than one night to get rig of the fleas. Either put it in a plastic bag and spray it with raid or leave it outside frozen for a week or more.

Dont know about lynx, but I put flea'd marten in the deep freeze for 48 hrs and they were still crawling when I pulled the marten out. I think I'll stick with the raid method. Too much marital bliss at stake...lol

flees on fox I have seen move for days. yup a plastic bag and some raid tie it up and in a hour and you can start peeling the hide off.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Do you spray the animal directly or the inside of the bag?

Either way it should kill whatever is on it. I put the cat in a bag and then sprayed the raid in. Then I flipped it over and sprayed again. I had no issues at all.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

In Alaska we have lice not so much for fleas,,, the lice you can immediately take care of by getting the powder from the feed store.. poultry /horse powder should work fine, it only take a few moments and the live buggers are gone. good thing about lice here in AK they are critter specific meaning they only live on fox, or cats,or horses. they can not change host animals and survive. though we do get some fleas up here with pets coming and going from the states Fleas/ticks do not normally make the winter. so a good lice powder from the feed store should take care of any issue you guys haul home from the trap line.

as another note... Sheep will get a bug that Looks like a tick.. they are called KEDDS.. they too are HOST specific...guys going Caribou hunting this month steece or Taylor highway.. will see a bot type of bug under the skin but they will not get into the meat if the hide is removed in time as the surface cools.. however they will migrate into the warm meat if the bou is allowed to freeze before skinning.

lots of luck
    Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

Our Lynx carry fleas, as do some of the other fur bearers (marten, mink, fox etc.). I've seen them live for almost a week on lynx hanging frozen. All it takes is one to ruin your day. I always hang my lynx from my gambrel, pull an over size garbage bag up over it and spray Raid into it, tieing it off and leaving for a couple hours. Flea powder works well also.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tjmeyer1 View Post
    Vince,

Our Lynx carry fleas, as do some of the other fur bearers (marten, mink, fox etc.). I've seen them live for almost a week on lynx hanging frozen. All it takes is one to ruin your day. I always hang my lynx from my gambrel, pull an over size garbage bag up over it and spray Raid into it, tieing it off and leaving for a couple hours. Flea powder works well also.

Ted
    well Ted i stand corrected, all the years on the farm i have never seen a flea and they have never been an issue on the pets up here. lice however are common every summer.

my summations are from talking to the vets about the lice being host specific. I can honestly say I have never seen a flea here.

thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

I've seen Lice on wolves, they are becoming more prevalent on wolves in the Interior, they can do a real number on a wolf. http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...rticles_id=363

The first cat I get this year I'll take some pics of the little critters and post them. Here is a post from Trapperman about fleas on lynx. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...lynx#Post69472 You can get on Trapperman and do a search for fleas, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the little ba$%#@*s.

I'll be up your way Friday & Saturday getting the line set up on the Rex, if your around pop out for a while.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

We for sure have fleas up here. every snow shoe hare i have shot has had them. The house cat killed 5 snow shoe hares this year and he got fleas like crazy. We also have ticks. I found ticks on a couple squirels I shot out of the back yard. The cat also killed a few squirels this year and he got ticks too. He passed a tick off on to me. I woke up with a **** tick in armpit. Crazy cat, he acts like we dont feed him.