Thread: Big Lake/Irene

Default Big Lake/Irene

Spent most of the weekend on Big Lake/Ireene/. Only 5 fish to show for it.

My buddy and I fished all day yesterday on Big Lake. We were jigging spoons off the island points from anywhere to 5 feet deep out to about 30 feet deep. Both his fish came from about 12 to 15 feet of water. We were using pretty big spoons hoping to land some larger fish. Smaller fish were biting our spoons in the shallows but none of them could eat it. The 2 he caught were about 15 inches. Today we split the day between Big Lake and Ireene. Once again we tried jigging spoons and spinners for bigger fish on big lake. I caught a rainbow about 15 or 16 inches long and that was all at Big Lake. We went to Ireene after and I caught 2 more on salmon eggs. Both small and the bites were very far apart. Not a very good weekend. Big Lake is thick enough to drive on it. Lots of trucks on the ice. Maybe someone had better luck than I did this weekend..

Thanks for the update. I have never had great luck at Big Lake myself. I guess it probably helps to know where to fish though.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

we put a shack on big lake for 2 years and caught nice (20-26 inch) dollies and char. With lots of small stuff as well. We had good luck on blues and golds.

I think I ran into out on Irene. You should have stayed a little longer the bite got really hot about a quarter after 4. My boys pulled in some dandies.

yep, that's you. I'll give it more time next time out. Were they char or rainbows?

All rainbows, I went back out there today and headed out into the deeper water I saw some really nice char swim by the fish cam but they would not bite. Next time I will take some herring now that I know they are cruising. Still caught a bunch of trout all little today.