Thread: buckmark cleaning

Default buckmark cleaning

I just bought a new Buckmark that is failing to fire certain ammo and failing to cycle the rest. I am hoping that a thorough cleaning will fix the problem before I go crying to the company. The takedown is simple enough, but the spring assembly is jammed in so tight I can't get it out with what feels like a reasonable amount of pressure and I'm afraid to force it lest I bend the rod. Some folks say the same thing, others complain that the spring fairly jumps out at them when they touch it. Is there a trick to easing or wedging it out or do I just force it and hope for the best? My manual doesn't give much information, and some of it doesn't even apply to my gun.
    c

I thought I had been suckered when I took my newly bought used Buckmark out shooting for the first time, very unreliable with the Remington and Federal ammo I was using at the time. After giving it a thorough cleaning it helped a little, but it was still not as reliable as I like. Then I discovered that mine likes to be well lubed, very well lubed, like after a normal cleaning and lubing, I spray 2 shots of aerosol can rem oil into the action without a mag in. This made it work MUCH better. I also found that my gun feeds CCI and remington yellowjacket's very reliably and accurately. I shoot only CCI's now, and haven't had any failures to speak of in at least 500 rounds, and this is with less cleaning than I should be doing.

For your gun, put plenty of rounds in it to break it in, play around with different levels of lubrication, and use different ammo until you find one that works well. Buckmarks are fine pistols and you made an excellent buy.

Well I did manage to budge that piece a little and then kept working it down and up with some oil until it came free. Turned out the guide rod was already a little bent so I guess bending it was not such an issue. Since the weather was cold when I was out at the range, I thought my trouble might have been excess oil gelling up on me. I'll try it out both dry and wet and include the ammo that you mentioned. I took it back to Great Northern that day and they gave me a box of American Eagle and a box of Winchester. It was Saturday so they were too busy to do much else. It fired every one of the eagles but failed to cycle 14 out of 50. The Winchesters had 2 ftf and 1 ftc out of 50. Both were an improvement on the Rems, which clicked without firing 1 in 4 times, but still not good. Kind of a bummer to get a fussy first gun, especially when so many people say they took the Buck out of the box and sent 1000 rounds of the cheap stuff through it before cleaning once. The Rems were mostly coming out with a dent in the rim that didn't look much different from the spent rounds, though some of them were coming out with barely a scratch. I put all of those aside for disposal no matter what they looked like. Noncycling is a nuisance (and will have to get better than 14 out of 50) but the nonfiring is just scary to me. I'll see what happens on Saturday.

Don't be discouraged, .22 pistols are notorious for being picky on ammo, but I am sure your Buckmark is a fine pistol and you will find ammo that works great in it. Also keep in mind that breaking in a gun with 500 or so round does a world of good, even in a .22 pistol.

Mine did that when I first bought it new until I figured out what was going on. After about 100 rounds one of the screws that holds down the rear sights vibrated loose causing it to no fire and jam... it has a lock/star washer under it.... mine was smashed flat and I called the Co. and they sent me two new ones for free.... it still does it sometimes so take an allen wrench with you in case it backs out....
    hope this helps ya
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default buckmark cleaning

Good gun, I am on my second as I sold my first. I currently have the sporter rifle and it is a kick.

I also have a BM and have had literally thousands of rounds through it. It doesn't like to be dirty! After 200 rds or so, it will start failing to eject or stovepipe on me. A quick surface cleaning and more lube and it is good to go. After the day is over, I break it down and get it clean on the inside as well.

.22 ammo is notoriously dirty and gumms everything up. You won't be disappointed in the gun though. At moose camp last year we were consistently shooting Skittles (the small candies) off a log at about 15 yds.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default The bent guide rod

may be slowing things down also.
    Mike
    No problems w/mine.
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

It could be worse... you could have bought a S&W M22A... like me... I finally decide to buy a .22 pistol like I have been wanting since I was 13 and it turns out to be a total turd! Hope you figure out what your BM likes. I finally found that my m22a prefers to be left at home...

This gun never got a chance to get dirty. The very first shot went click and the second also. It's a really comfortable gun and I want it to work out. I felt like I could shoot it all day and didn't want to leave the range, but decided its performance needed immediate attention. I'll ask the folks at Great Northern about the bend when I get the chance. I did also notice that one of the sight screws loosened up after 250 rnds. Might have to put some product under that one.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    This gun never got a chance to get dirty. The very first shot went click and the second also. It's a really comfortable gun and I want it to work out. I felt like I could shoot it all day and didn't want to leave the range, but decided its performance needed immediate attention. I'll ask the folks at Great Northern about the bend when I get the chance. I did also notice that one of the sight screws loosened up after 250 rnds. Might have to put some product under that one.
    That will cause a no fire
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Not to defend the S&W 22A too much, but I personally witnessed a stock 22A fire off magazine after magazine of remington brick ammo, competey submersed in a foot of water (DON'T DO THIS!) It was pretty impressive.

Even more impressive, is that the bullets jumped out of the water 15 feet away, and zipped across the lake and hit a rock wall 50 feet past where they left the water.