Thread: Charter price skyrocket!

Default Charter price skyrocket!

Wow i just looked at some charter prices and they have sure jumped! I looked at silver charters out of Seward and some went up by 100.00 per day. Fuel is dropping like a rock so i hope that helps them out. 300.00 per person for a days salmon fishing is getting to be a rich mans sport

Some have changed now on you pay for the gas you use along with a small fee.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Let's hope these gas prices continue to drop...and that Alaska's prices actually catch up with the rest of the states. We're still almost a buck higher then some states
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

$1.95 in Helena MT yesterday, beats the current $2.84 here. Diesel is at least under $4 now.

Default Charter Prices

It will hard to figure what charter prices will be for the up coming season. The prices at the fuel docks will be the biggest factor and we will not know what they are going to be until around April. As far as the Halibut Fishing goes if the 1 fish limit for 3A goes into effect that will have a major impac. Last but not least is the economy. People will not go fishing if they do not have the money.

Default Kodiak Fuel

Fuel in Kodiak is still 3.54 unleaded 3.74 premium and 4.06 for diesel. So no matter what fuel does around the nation we still have to live here year round and that's why a lot of guys are sticking with the price they set last year.

I guess that's the price of living in paradise.

I agree with the number of people going not going out with high prices. It's sad on both ends. People not being able to go out and have fun and watching good people that major lose in there charter business.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I sure hope you guys in Alaska see fuel come down soon! Its just not right as down here in MN gas is 1.67 a gallon right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I sure hope you guys in Alaska see fuel come down soon! Its just not right as down here in MN gas is 1.67 a gallon right now.

With that price I can go out few more times a season.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Charter rates...

The charter business has always been a tough one. The price for a gallon of diesel was devistating to many charter operators last year. As a matter of fact there are at least 8 charters that were put out of business in Seward last year and several more than that for sale right now.

Right now, with tourism being predicted to decline sharply this year ( as it did last year) I would not be surprised to see that many more go out of business this year.
    I know my rate is based on what it costs me to operate and make wages on top of that for running the boat every day.

It does make you wonder why our fuel in Alaska is more than a dollar a gallon more expensive than it is in Seattle. We have product and refineries in this state. The prices are killing all industries that are dependant on fuel to run. Which is in turn is making it more expenisve for you to go fishing.

Come on Sarah.....work your magic and get everyone a fair shake on fuel prices!

At a gallon per mile (or two at most) it took a big stack of Lincolns to go where the fish where this year. Don't forget that everything else has gone up also. It takes a lot of cash to keep a boat going strong for 12-15,000 miles a season. When the subject comes up, most of my customers agree that taking a charter is still much, much cheaper than owning a boat.

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the "unregulated, exponential, growth of the commercial charter industry" takes care of itself in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    At a gallon per mile (or two at most) it took a big stack of Lincolns to go where the fish where this year. Don't forget that everything else has gone up also. It takes a lot of cash to keep a boat going strong for 12-15,000 miles a season. When the subject comes up, most of my customers agree that taking a charter is still much, much cheaper than owning a boat.

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the "unregulated, exponential, growth of the commercial charter industry" takes care of itself in the near future.

I agree between the increased operating expenses, a moritorium on new halibut charters that will be in effect in 2010, and the present economic downturn, I would think the argument of the charter industry growing too much or catching too many halibut will be put to rest. The bloodletting has already started. Just check Craig's list and type in charter fishing businesss for sale....you will see three or four a day that are trying to get out before it is too late.
    Glad a I have a winter job....

Unhappy What!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I just filled up the sno-go and i Paid $7.49 a gal x 8 gals,, get the pic? Pleas email ma 100 gals of that cheap gas ASAP!!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue

Default 3A is not going to a one fish bag limit at this time

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    As far as the Halibut Fishing goes if the 1 fish limit for 3A goes into effect that will have a major impac.
    Area 3A is not scheduled for a one fish bag limit. The NPFMC has not made that recommendation and if the catch sharing plan that was recommended was in place, it would not trigger a one fish bag limit at the current biomass levels in 3A