Thread: Easy pull throttle

Question Easy pull throttle

I have a question: I'm looking for an easy pull type throttle for my old Polaris Sport 440. I broke my wrist several years ago, and my pull has lessened in my thumb. Anyone know of a source?

Have you thought about a twist throttle like on a motorcycle? Also, I have seen modifications that let you 'pull' the throttle like a brake lever on the front of the bar. I'll try to find some examples for ya.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have a friend who simply rotates his thumb throttle upside down. The kill switch is on the bottom but otherwise no big deal. In fact it may be a benefit for those times you "almost" go over the bars and end up grabbing a handful of throttle because you're trying to hold on!

Twist throttles are the devil on a sled. Been there, done that, had a wrecked sled to show for it. Too much surface to ice up under the grip. Also very difficult for slow speed manuevering. If you have wrist problems, many times the twist throttle is worse than a thumb throttle.

I too suffer from severe injury related carple tunnel problems on my throttle hand. I modified my thumb throttle on my last sledby adding an additional 3" to it using aluminum bar stock. It worked pretty well.

On my current sled I have a Gold Finger http://www.fullthrottleinc.com/ left handed throttle setup that I use when going down the trail when my right hand goes numb. USE WITH CAUTION!! One of my buddies drove a sled right through a garage door when he mistakenly grabbed the left hand throttle instead of the brake

Do a google search for thumb throttle assist and you will see some options that are for ATV's.

Sayak, I have rheumatoid arthritis and the "grip" issues associated with the disease. Some days are worse than others and it does effect riding.

On my Tundra 550LT, I took two different approaches to overcome my throttle issues.

#1. Is the Powermadd throttle flare to give me a larger area to connect with on the throttle with my thumb.

#2 Is the Lefties left hand throttle kit. This way, when I wear out my right hand on long rides, I can unpin the left hand throttle and I can switch over to the left to ride with for awhile. I keep it pinned out and the pin flagged when not in use to avoid the potential for an accident. I also place my right thumb on top of the grip when I use the left hand throttle to keep from accidentally using the right side while I'm supposed to use the left using the left. The install was quick and painless.

I've also seen a thumb throttle extension that extends the length (the Powermadd throttle flare "widens" the throttle and doesn't extend it length wise) of the throttle, but I haven't used one.

Default I've seen these options

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    I've also seen a thumb throttle extension that extends the length (the Powermadd throttle flare "widens" the throttle and doesn't extend it length wise) of the throttle, but I haven't used one.
    I've seen both the lefty systems and the lever widener. The lefty system looks like it could cause problems where the cables join(?). The widener might work too, but what I was really looking for is a lengthener like they have for ATV throttles, or a two stage system like they had on some older machines- maybe Skidoos- which acted kind of like a cam, and gave mechanical advantage after you opened the throttle half way.
    Mr. Pid's idea of turning the whole unit over to make it a puller sounds intriguing also. Thanks guys.

On my Honda rancher the thumb throttle seemed awkward so I rotated it down so it could be worked with my index finger, works great for me.