Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love the Black Rifles

Default Love the Black Rifles

I just love the AR platform. We currently own two (his and hers) in M-4 carbine. My wife loves the low to no recoil, plus the adjustable stock, so she can set it just how she likes depending on the how thick her coat is. One of my favorite things about the black rifle is how much the liberals hate them. Or better, how my wife's liberal friend hates it when her husband comes over and paws all over them.

We just purchased (last week) two stripped DPMS lowers from Gun Runners in Anchorage. $162 a piece. I am completing one as just the lower with standard trigger and butt stock. The other I ordered a 20" varmint gun kit from, http://www.m-aparts.com/ . The kit comes complete with everything except the stripped lower. I also upgraded to a two stage national match trigger. Looks like it will take awhile to get here (6-8 weeks), but it is coming.

Good shooting all.

I built my last AR almost 20 years ago using an Essential Arms lower and a Quality Parts Company CAR-15 "kit."

I've been considering building a couple more in the near future. Guess the news on the rise in guns sales compel me to think that if I plan on building anymore, I'd better do it sooner than later.

I'm amazed how many different options or possibilities there are now since my last build.

I love my AR. Ive done tons of research and its amazing the amount of different ways you can set them up. If you guys ever need help coming up with parts or want to find a cheap place for good rifles, or just have a few questions, pm me. (I love building these things)

Default Background

North Polar,

What is your background in ARs. Are you a dealer or a smith and able to get parts etc?

Default Interesting stuff to learn about

I am largely a backpacker/wilderness hunter type. A couple of years ago I decided to treat myself and I bought a M4A3 Bushmaster. It was a fun gun but my boy loved it. It quickly became his. This is the process that he wants to shoot it whenever we go to the range and is a great shot with it.
    He also cares for it.etc etc

I was reading about all of the mod ar15s and knew that I needed to get on the bandwagon.

I have found out much and there is tons that I still haven't discovered.
    The top end custom guns are probably some of the most advanced weapon systems devised. Many of the top shop foremen from the top shop custom rifle makers are now making AR-15 type rifles.

A standard AR15 used by a regular person is probably more accurate than the person. An accurized AR15 can compete with a bolt action. The best AR15's are just sick.

Ex. Noveske N4 rifles. considered the Mercedes of EBRs are made by the ex PacNor barrel machine shop foreman who continues to order his barrels through PacNor but doublechromes them and then specs them to match grade levels and then uses a contour that is workable in saw machine guns or is much heavier than standard hbar but workable on a carbine.

There are several outfits like this. White Oak Armory and like the Compass Lake facility use custom level quality for using rifles.

The engineering in the additions and in the different systems is incredible.

We have a short window before the chosen one is in. Thus, we need to read, study, order and buy like the other 25 million gun nuts because there could be no tomorrow.

It was said in the old west that some were bigger, faster and stronger but that Sam Colt made them equal. I would say that the EBR can definitely take the average game jockey into a decent shootist.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    North Polar,

What is your background in ARs. Are you a dealer or a smith and able to get parts etc?
    I'm just a guy with a hobby honestly. A buddy of mine is an army armorer and he gave me a crash course on the rifles when i got my first one. It sort of spun out of control after that.

As for ordering parts and whatnot, I just have an extensive list of companies i regularly order from, and would have no problem tacking something on for someone.

I'm waiting on my 003 FFL paperwork just so midway and them give me a dealer discount lol.

Wink Works for me

If you apply for an FFL just to get the online discount, you must be a gun nut! It probably would have been a good idea actually with the money I've spent this year.

The AR platform is an excellent choice for application versatility, customization potential, and availability of parts and ammo. I learned to shoot and maintain it thoroughly in the military, and it has become my primary platform for target shooting, hunting, and home defense because of the confidence, familiarity, and skill I gained from that experience.

Black rifles are disdained by many in the gun/hunting community, which I believe is a shame since our nation was founded by warrior citizens and this specific platform has been a part of our history for nearly half a century. Is it a perfect rifle for all situations in all conditions? No. Neither is any gun if you ask me....which you didn't...but I'm still talking.

The M4/AR platform will most certainly be replaced someday, possibly soon, although the better decision would be to keep the gun and throw out the FMJ-only NATO restriction for military use or employ the 7.62x51 full-time.

I own 2 ARs, a 5.56 and a 7.62, with a second 7.62 on backorder since May. I've never built one but hope to when I return from gun-ban England in April.

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    I'm just a guy with a hobby honestly. A buddy of mine is an army armorer and he gave me a crash course on the rifles when i got my first one. It sort of spun out of control after that.

As for ordering parts and whatnot, I just have an extensive list of companies i regularly order from, and would have no problem tacking something on for someone.

I'm waiting on my 003 FFL paperwork just so midway and them give me a dealer discount lol.

Default AR

I just ordered a 20" flat top kit from Del-ton. I got a srtipped lower from wainwright sports store. I cant wait for it to show up. Hillbilly

I'm happy with my Smith & Wesson M&P15 carbine. I bought it back in September with the energy rebate. I'm new to the whole black rifle scene, so I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by martialcanine.45 View Post
    If you apply for an FFL just to get the online discount, you must be a gun nut! It probably would have been a good idea actually with the money I've spent this year.
    A 003 FFL is a Curio and Relics license. Figure it lets you get mosin nagants and sks and a few other rifles and pistols shipped to your door, among other things. Lots of companies just count is as a dealer discount.

$30 for a 3 year license. Seems good to me

Smart thinking.

Default Dang 20 minute timeout

It used to be that FFLs were about as popular and simple to get as driver's licenses, to take advantage of wholesale prices. I'd love to open a gun shop when I get back stateside, but there is no way in hell I'd want to deal with the Obama BATFE.

mine was shipped from the lower 48 to my FFL holder. He emailed me tonight....Hopefully it is in. Can't wait to see my ne w flattop 16" BBL.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    mine was shipped from the lower 48 to my FFL holder. He emailed me tonight....Hopefully it is in. Can't wait to see my ne w flattop 16" BBL.
    Quick little trick that can save you some money: Buy the upper and lowers separately. There is a $200 tax on assembled guns. Do the 2 pins youself @ 200 an hour instead lol.

Beyond that, its easier to get an upper sent to do your door and then pick up an upper in town, but thats just a quirk of mine.

akjeff,

I just bought a Remington R-25, sort of spur of the moment. Are they up to par with other "black rifles". I think Dpms makes them for remington. Any negatives?

Default R-25

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    akjeff,
    I just bought a Remington R-25, sort of spur of the moment. Are they up to par with other "black rifles". I think Dpms makes them for remington. Any negatives?
    I don't know much about the R-25. I have been drooling looking at them online. I have heard nothing but good things about the DPMS 308s. What caliber did you get.

I just finish two more heavy barrel varminters one 20" and the other 24" both from DPMS stripped lowers. I am pleased with both. The 24" is a DPMS complete upper from Midway. I have not had the pleasure of shooting them yet. I just finished the 20" last night.

akjeff

Smile

.308, aka 7.62 NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    I don't know much about the R-25. I have been drooling looking at them online. I have heard nothing but good things about the DPMS 308s. What caliber did you get.

I just finish two more heavy barrel varminters one 20" and the other 24" both from DPMS stripped lowers. I am pleased with both. The 24" is a DPMS complete upper from Midway. I have not had the pleasure of shooting them yet. I just finished the 20" last night.

akjeff
    Im pretty sure that they are made by bushmaster. At least that was the word going around a while back. Something about remington and bushy being under the same ownership.

The 223 version R-15 is made by Bushmaster, the 308 R-25 is made by DPMS.

Rings, rings, rings........

Looking for opinions on rings to mount my 3-12x50 Burris XTR on the Stag. I dont know much about rings and looking for suggestions. Quick release? Brand? Are high dollar rings worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast