Thread: angled or strait?

Default angled or strait?

Ok Im thinking about making the plunge for a high quality spotter. My question is which is more useful a strait or an angled and why?

Its all personal preference, neither one is better than the other. I have used both and prefer Straight, but know several guys that like Angled.

x2 What Cub said... only I like the angled... Here are some things to consider--

How do you hunt? Do you spend more time at the bottom looking up? If you like to hunt from the top and will be looking down most of the time or just peeking over a ledge then the strait may be better. It is also a little easier to keep yourself concealed with a straight scope. How tall are you? I am 6'5" and it is easier for me to use an angled scope. I also like the angled scope because I carry a short lightweight tripod in the mountains and I find the angled scope is easier to position in most situations I have encountered.

Default 5'11"

Im 5' 11", I typically hunt from the top down. That may change as I get into sheep hunting more but Ive always hunted that way. Im leaning toward strait for the reasons you suggested and I would think that a strait would be a bit easier to pack.

I went with an angled when I purchased by Pentax two years ago. I think its more comfortable to use when glassing flatter ground or up hill. I can sit on a three legged folding camp stool and glass for moose with just a slight forward head tilt.

I like to pack as light of a tripod as possible. The angled allows me to pack a smaller tripod and sit on my knees or indian style and not have to cock your head sideways to get down to see through a straight spotter. With a straight you need a taller tripod to get the scope into a comfortable position.

When glassing down hill you simple roll the angled spotter to the side. This lets you stay in a comfortable position. The only down side is that it takes a bit longer to acquire that point of interest. After a trip or two you get used to it though and will acquire these points faster, though still not quite as fast as with a straight spotter looking down hill.

I've found I'm just as fast at acquiring points from a slight down hill up to the top of the mountain with the angled spotter as I am a straight.

Default good point

AK Wonderer,

Those are some good points. Im not a moose hunter, (too much meat for me), but I can see your points about being able to sit down and glass and still be reasonably comfortable. I guess Ill have to make up my mind for myself.