Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing heater/stove (homemade)

Default Ice fishing heater/stove (homemade)

For any of you looking for a cheap heat source while ice fishing, a friend turned me on to this years ago.

Start with a 1# metal coffee can and place a roll of toilet paper inside. The toilet paper should be close to the right size to completely fill the can. Then pour isopropyl alcohol into the can and let the TP absorb it. Stop filling when the TP is no longer absorbing the alcohol and the liquid level is about 1/8" below the top of the paper.

Then, simply light the end of the toilet paper like a wick. You will have a clean burning heat source that you can also cook over (with a grill of some sort). Add alcohol to the stove when the toilet paper starts burning. BTW - keep the plastic lid for transport. Snuff it out and let it cool before putting the plastic lid on though .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks Mud!

Good idea. The propane heater is pretty bulky to tote around sometimes. Do you need to burn off the paint first?

Rep for you for the tip.

We never worried about the paint, you might burn it for a little while at the house before you run it in a tent though just to make sure. It burns a lot like a candle so only the top of the can gets hot.

We had a small piece of grating to set on top and it will heat water/soup/whatever really well. It's really nice to have something warm to eat or drink sometimes!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKMud that's a "Yooper" stove you described! I usually get blank stares when I try to describe this method of heating, but it works like a champ. I used one for years but found it makes you a little lightheaded in a tight shack so ventilation is a must. Yeah, burning off all the coffee can paint and or lable before lighting in your shack, (that's odvious eh!) The blue flame is very hard to see and it will erase any trace of hair on your knuckles trying to light it. 2 bottles of alcohol will last you all day! Now if only it comes with a low O2 sensor!

Great Idea. Can you use Heat instead of alcohol like mushers do to cook or not.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Do you need to burn off the paint first?

Rep for you for the tip.
    A lot of the store branded cans have a removable label.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Great Idea. Can you use Heat instead of alcohol like mushers do to cook or not.

I imagine you could use the red bottle, but I don't know if they put in any additives that might be harmful.
    AKmud

That sounds like a great idea but what about spilling it. I would imagine that it is not to pretty site when it spills?

I have done this with Heat (outside). The biggest problem I had was 1 bottel burned too long for my purposes, and it was difficult to extinguish without distroying the tp.

Quote Originally Posted by barleydog View Post
    AKMud that's a "Yooper" stove you described! I usually get blank stares when I try to describe this method of heating, but it works like a champ.
    Us Yoopers are pretty good at getting heat out of anything eh?

Say "yah eh!" Big blank stares from dem' guys don't cha know!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    Us Yoopers are pretty good at getting heat out of anything eh?
    One of my best friends is a Troll and she claims the Yoopers are best noted for all the hot air they are capable of getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    One of my best friends is a Troll and she claims the Yoopers are best noted for all the hot air they are capable of getting out.
    tiz true, we be good for our hot air. for a long time i thought gods area code was 906, then i went to alaska, and found 1 better...

Good idea. The propane heater is pretty bulky to tote around sometimes. Do you need to burn off the paint first?

Rep for you for the tip.
    Not only that, but propane tends to peter out and quit burning if it's too cold.

Brian

PS: Thx for the stove idea... I'm going to try it.

try a paint can, you can prep ahaed of time, using a piece of wood. Put wood in paint can cut shorter then the can, pour in liquid, isopropyl, or methylhydrate then place inside of a 5 gal metal pail, light the paint can. to shut off put paint can lid on. NOTE DO NOT POUR LIQUID INTO CAN WHEN FIRE IS BURNING. MAKE SURE FIRE IS OUT BEFORE ADDING FUELS

Default Tried the "Yooper stove"; questions-

Well, we made the stove out of a small coffee can, t-paper roll, and alchohol, and took it out on the ice with us yesterday. Though the temp was hovering around 0 degrees on the ice, the stove worked well enough to roast us out of our ice tent several times, so we only lit it when we got too chilly.

When we got out into the daylight and were taking down the tent, my son commented that I was black around my nose; I made the same observation about him. We looked at our little white Jack Russell, and he was no longer white!

I followed directions, and even used the high-test 90 proof isopropyl. Did I miss something here?

Well, we made the stove out of a small coffee can, t-paper roll, and alchohol, and took it out on the ice with us yesterday. Though the temp was hovering around 0 degrees on the ice, the stove worked well enough to roast us out of our ice tent several times, so we only lit it when we got too chilly.

When we got out into the daylight and were taking down the tent, my son commented that I was black around my nose; I made the same observation about him. We looked at our little white Jack Russell, and he was no longer white!

I followed directions, and even used the high-test 90 proof isopropyl. Did I miss something here?
    did you use "fresh" toilet paper?

The alcohol should burn cleanly, no soot. I would suspect that the level of alcohol was maybe too low versus the t-paper? Does the t-paper show any signs of burning?

Brian

That would be my guess too Brian. We used to keep the alcohol within an 1/8" or so of the top of the TP. If the liquid gets too low, the paper starts burning.
    AKmud

Default carbon monoxide gas.

You do realize when you burn Gas, Alcohol, or any petroleum product you can produce carbon monoxide gas.

Please be careful, you can buy a carbon monoxide detector.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast