Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slick Trick for Moose??

Default Slick Trick for Moose??

What's your opinion on using slick trick 100's on moose? An aquantance says I need something with a longer cutting area.

The slick tricks fly really well for me and I would like to use them.

Anyone have any bad experiences?

Paul

If they fly well for you, that's half the battle right there. Making sure they're razor sharp and putting the shot in the proper location is the other half. Do your part and you'll have no troubles harvesting moose with SlickTricks. I shoot this broadhead, but can't provide any first-hand experience on moose - hopefully next season.

All else being equal, if I had a cut-on-contact broadhead and chisel tip style broadhead,like SlickTricks, that flew equally well with my set-up, I'd opt for the cut-on-contact broadhead. But if SlickTricks fly well for you, there's no reason to change your set-up.

Default Slick Tricks

I've killed a moose and various other alaska big game with them. All with excellent results. They only way I would consider a different head is if I was shooting a longbow or recurve at lower poundage. I have been using the 100gr 1 1/8" magnums BTW.

You're friend has no clue.....

I've shot moose with three or four different heads, all worked well with a well placed shot. Shot placement, like anything else is the key. Slick Tricks work great.

Killed a cow Fall 07 with 125 Slick Trick. She went 50 yards and piled up. Worked for me.

Thumbs up Slick Trick 100's (standards)

Do these answer your question? Both bulls shot with standard 100 gr Slick Tricks. Use 'em!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks for the input guys

I appreciate the replies guys. I will stay with the slick tricks.

Cast...that one bull is off of Ft. Rich isn't it. I will be there for the winter hunt.

Thanks again.

Paul

Default Go Get 'em!

When does your Ft Rich winter hunt begin? Is it any moose?

The hunt starts Dec. 15th through Jan. 15th. Bull or cow.. of course I am hoping for a bull. Gonna' be after them early, hopefully before they drop their antlers.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    Do these answer your question? Both bulls shot with standard 100 gr Slick Tricks. Use 'em!
    C&B, just so you know.....YOU SUCK!!

Yeah, I'm just jealous Good work, man!

Thumbs up One more thing about slick tricks....

The company is great. I get that Mom & Pop shop feeling dealing with them. When I first moved to AK 5 years ago, I couldn't find a set of slicks to save my life. Old Fletcher's carried them, but hardly ever in stock. The 'bou season was creaping up sooner than I wanted and I needed some Slick Tricks. I called the owner and he sent me 3 packs of Slick Tricks that day and told me to put the check in the mail when they arrived at my house!! Who does business that way anymore? I was seriously impressed. Just one more reason to support them....

The only moose that I shot with the Slick Tricks was a little bull. Shot was broadside through the ribs never hit any big bones. Did not get a complete pass through was just under the hide on the off side. The moose only went 70 yards. They will definitely kill a moose but I think there are better options out there.
    I switched to 100 grain four bladed Stingers. Since switching to the Stingers I have gotten a complete pass through on three moose. I have had no flight problems with the Stingers. So if you want to try a cut on contact head I give the Stingers a try.
    What ever you use make sure they are scary sharp. Shot placement is the key takeout both lungs on they won't go far.

Default 125's

Cast and Blast,
    I drew the same hunt and i am going to be using G5 montec 125 grains. I went back and forth between slick tricks and Montec's and ended up with the Montecs. I didnt really see that big of a difference between the two, just Aim in the right spot and let her rip, a well placed shot with either will do the job. Good luck on you hunt.

Default G5 Montecs

B-rad, I agree with what you said about the G5 Montecs. They shoot great (like field tips) and they are one piece (which I believe may add stregth?). Besides the slicktricks, G5 Montecs are my next fav. Good luck huntin'!

Default Slick Tricks

The company is great. I get that Mom & Pop shop feeling dealing with them. When I first moved to AK 5 years ago, I couldn't find a set of slicks to save my life. Old Fletcher's carried them, but hardly ever in stock. The 'bou season was creaping up sooner than I wanted and I needed some Slick Tricks. I called the owner and he sent me 3 packs of Slick Tricks that day and told me to put the check in the mail when they arrived at my house!! Who does business that way anymore? I was seriously impressed. Just one more reason to support them....
    I started with the Slick Tricks even before Fletcher began handling a few and also purchased right from Gary with the ST's in the mail and just send a check back after you get them. I can't believe that people don't give them a try since he has always backed them up with the stand that if you don't like them he doesn't want your money; just return them and he will refund. This shouldn't mean that you do much more than try out one or two, but is a product backing that you can't find anyplace else. If he had any significant number of unhappy customers he couldn't stand behind them in this manner. I won't ever switch!

B-rad, I agree with what you said about the G5 Montecs. They shoot great (like field tips) and they are one piece (which I believe may add stregth?). Besides the slicktricks, G5 Montecs are my next fav. Good luck huntin'!
    yeah, the one piece head was the reason i went G5, plus i was down in Chicago over the summer fdor a wedding and stopped by a Cabelas and picked up a set of the G5 practice BHs. I like it when a company offer something like that.

Default Razor Tricks

No experience on moose, but I was (and my wife still is) shooting the Slick Trick 100 Magnums. My spring black bear was a complete pass-through. I recently went to the Razor Trick for cut-on-contact performance. Nothing shot with them yet, but they might be another option for you from what I also consider an excellent company. Either way, you can't go wrong if they hit where you're aiming!

Chris

Slick tricks have provided consistent pass through on elk and deer for me. I have hit ribs and the broadheads sliced through. Might be the high KE, but they don't have any issues, and most importantly they fly well at higher velocity. However they do have a slight buzz as they fly.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Cast and Blast,
    I drew the same hunt and i am going to be using G5 montec 125 grains. I went back and forth between slick tricks and Montec's and ended up with the Montecs. I didnt really see that big of a difference between the two, just Aim in the right spot and let her rip, a well placed shot with either will do the job. Good luck on you hunt.
    B-radford, you might want to talk with Paul over at the Archers Den about those G-5 Montecs, he had some issues with them and I know another hunter that lost 2 animals using those broadheads and both shots were money shots.

I have too, What issues?? Just want to know, A,m not partial to either one, I use 125 thunderheads myself. 2 lost animals,{money shots} Must have a story. I mean the Indains where killing stuff long ago with sharp rocks, Not trying to pick a fight here. Some use the Form to learn stuff,without the story can,t learn Why? Did they fail, Not fly right?What?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast