Thread: Halibut Fishing around Ketchikan

Default Halibut Fishing around Ketchikan

I just moved to ketchikan and would like to catch a few Halibut's for the winter. If anyone could point me to some good hot spots I would be very greatful. Thank You in advance!!

Not sure what you'll find near town, most big ones have probably migrated out of the area. You might try around Guard Island lighthouse and South Vallenar Bay. You could get lucky.

I might try the Light House this week. I've heard Point Alava is a good place to go. Do you think I might catch some out there? If so could you let me know where at near Point Alava?

Point Alava is an option, but going is definetly weather dependent, especially this time of year. Earlier this week the weather channel said 15'-20' seas were forcast out there. Remember, that's almost a straight shot out to the ocean.

I don't fish a whole lot south of town but I have fished Alava in the past. Check out some charts and find shelves that are 120-300 feet deep. We were typically 1/4 mile from shore before you go around the corner into Alava Bay.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 11-16-2008 at 11:09. Reason: spelling

I believe that I might stay away from Point Alava unti summertime comes. Thanks for the hints I might try them out if we get a good day this week.

Not sure if it was just beginners luck but the first time we went out (which was last weekend). We caught a 50 pound halibut in Carroll inlet kind of by those 2 islands before you get to shoal cove. Maybe it was just beginners luck because people seemed pretty surprised that we caught anything there. But we went out yesterday to Helm bay and Caamano Point and did not even get a bit.

kingfisherktn,

Thanks for the hints on the halibut spots! I ended up catching some so now I have enough for the winter! I will be moving on to the winter Kings come Saturday

Great! Did you get them in the area I suggested or another honey hole?

I caught the Halibut at Guard Island Lighthouse. I also saw a few schools of what could be Kings! So I think I might troll up there or maybe mountain point on saturday.

Good eye, you're probably right the winter kings should be coming thru.

Well I went King fishing on friday and caught a keeper! It was our first time ever to fish for king and we had one hooked within 20 min!!! I guess all the research paid off

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish25 View Post
    Well I went King fishing on friday and caught a keeper! It was our first time ever to fish for king and we had one hooked within 20 min!!! I guess all the research paid off
    Great job!