Thread: 1st Alaska hunt 2009 Coastal brown????

Default 1st Alaska hunt 2009 Coastal brown????

I have booked a hunt for fall of 2009 in unit 9 for coastals, I am shooting a 101st bowtech 70 lbs with CE rebel hunters and Muzzy phantom 125's. This being my first trip to Alaska I was wondering if anyone had any advice. The outfitter I am hunting with did not book anyone else for the fall season, because my buddy and I are both military and he wants us to have the best possible opportunity. As far as gear I have the new military sleep system, Badlands 4500 pack and quite a bit of wool and fleece hunting clothes. I understand that most of the time that we are moving we will be wearing chest waders so bought some of Cabelas neoprene bootless waders and will be using my hiking boots. I would really appreciate any help you guys or gals could give me and really appreciate all info. Your thoughts on glass and gear is greatly appreciated, as I understand it most of your time is spent glassing. Thanks once again....

Default Your Hunt

Brian,
    Good planning for your hunt next fall. Unit 9 covers a large area both geographically and weather wise.

Where in Unit 9 will you be hunting and when? August is generally a wet month in SW Alaska, and expect temperatures from 40-65. If you are on the south side of the Alaska Penninsula, the weather can be ugly for days/weeks on end. Once you get to the interior part or north side of the Penninsula you can expect some relief.

In September, you can expect cooler temperatures, and generally, it is not as wet.

There are lots of guys in the AK Bowhunters forum, from the wetter parts of the State that can offer suggestions on good wet weather gear.

I am not sure I believe unit 9C, the dates for the hunt are Oct1 to Oct 21. I appreciate the other site info looking on there now. Thanks again!!

Default Ask your guide

I do not know anything about the military sleep systems, but as stated earlier temperatures should be relatively mild. I would steer clear of neoprene waders. Have you done much walking in them? I am not a heavy sweater, but I sweat like an old hog in neoprene. Did your guide recommend chest waders? If so, you might consider a breathable pair. A lot of people just go with an ankle fit hip boots such as Lacrosse. Definitely look into helly hanson impertech for the rain gear versus breathable. It will more than likely be blowing rain sideways on you for a portion of the time. Listen to your guide's recommendation on gear. Good luck on your quest for a coastal brownie!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

neo chest waders are quieter, but they'll take alot longer to dry out after you sweated in them...and you will even if cold. the breathable dry plus from cabela's are pretty nice to wear, easy to walk in and dry out pretty well as only the footies are neopreme.
    the best glass you can afford is what you want...bottom line.
    practice shooting in the wind and not downwind...light breeze and alot of breeze just to get a feel for what happens, that way you won't try a shot thinking the wind won't effect your arrow flight much...
    If you don't mind, whos your guide going to be? someone who only takes two fall guys on unit 9 for three weeks is an interesting situation...i'd be curious to know who it is.
    The peninusla has some great bow hunting opportunity, since the season is earlier than kodiak, i'd recommend you call all his references and ask them about weather, terrian, FISH RUNS, bear sightings, what they thought about getting close on the bears and how many guys were in camp....take all the info you get and cross reference it with what the outfitter is telling you and see if it all matches up. your droppin' some good coin on a awesome hunt, make sure your research it all. i know your booked already but just drillin' the references for specifics, (write some questions down before you call them...) will help you out alot!! best of luck!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My guide is Burr Henricson of Alaska Safari outfitters. I have already been down his list of clients so already did that check, and from their opinion he is top notch I didnt hear a bad word out of any of them. Well earlier I said chest but they are more like waist waders, I have done alot of walking through marsh and so one with them and because they dont come up as high they really didnt bother me, but I believe I was using them in colder conditions so that may have had something to do with it. Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. Brian

Good luck on your up-coming bear hunt. Last spring I experienced an unbelieveable hunt near where you'll be hunting. I also shoot the 101st Airborne. Last day of my hunt (15th day) I took a great boar, since then finding he ranks 12th in P&Y.

What ever you hear about the Peninsular weather, don't believe it. ........ It's far worse. That said, I can speak only for my limited experience regarding the weather plus I hunted the spring. Keeping dry was very important. Since we were in tents along with the almost constant winds being wet could take some of the fun out. Your guide should be able to help with the best gear for your hunt.

brian.riley4,
    I hope you keep us informed on how your hunt went. I'm planning a bowhunt for Brownies in fall of 2010 should I be lucky enough to draw Kodiak. I wish you the best of luck! I'm just curious, are you taking a rifle just in case things don't pan out with a bow?