Thread: Small metal frame semi auto...CCW

Default Small metal frame semi auto...CCW

I'm sure this info is already on this forum SOMEWHERE, but I've searched around to no avail...

I have plastic guns coming out my ears - XD's, Glocks, Walthers... I'm looking for a very small metal frame semi auto in a caliber LARGER than 9mm. Preferably .40 SW, but I'm not stuck on that.

It just seems like the industry has all gone to composite frames and handles with only the slides being metal. Size is important to me - not weight.

Seems like Kahr might have something? But they've never struck me as too impressive a manufacturer.

I'm imagining a 3" barrel and a 6-8 round mag.

Thanks!

I saw an AMT Backup .45 in GunRunners the other day. I think that they hold 6 rounds.

Default Ditto at Northern Securities

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I saw an AMT Backup .45 in GunRunners the other day. I think that they hold 6 rounds.
    AMT Backup in .45 ACP with one magazine, pretty good condition. I wasn't interested in something that small so did not spend too much time with it, nor remember the price, but it seems to me that it was pretty reasonable.

Northern Securities is on Old Seward a little ways north of Tudor on the right as you are northbound.

I don't work there, nor am I (or acquainted with) the seller of the gun (it is in their consignment case).

I just want to help and to get it out of my range of temptation.

Lost Sheep

Thanks guys - I'll see what I can do! This looks like exactly what I had in mind. For arguement's sake, does AMT have any competition?

Default Give Kahr a chance!

I have a Kahr PM9 (9mm subcompact polymer frame) with over 1000 rounds through it without malfunction. They make a metal framed .40 S&W that is the same size called the MK40 which is really nice. I found the best price in town for mine at Northern Security (I got the night sights and coated slide model for less than Sportsmans was selling the plain Jane model for), if you go there to check out the AMT I'd suggest taking a look at a Kahr or two also.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

AlaskaSD wrote:
    Thanks guys - I'll see what I can do! This looks like exactly what I had in mind. For arguement's sake, does AMT have any competition?

Has anyone ever heard of the Semmerling? Smallest .45ACP ever made except for the 2 shot deringers and the single-shot WWII Liberator.

As I recall, it had a 2" barrel in a 2.5" package. The cop shop on Muldoon near 6th Ave (sorry, I can't remember the actual name) had one a while back. At $2,000 it probably is still there.

Unusual feature is that it used a "blow-forward" action. Trouble is, blow forward does not work as a self-loader. So Semmerling built the gun as a manually operated slide-action pistol. That's how the designer (Lichtman?) got the barrel into a slide so short.

The other competition to the AMT is the .357 C.O.P. (compact off-duty police). A four shot double-action only pistol. It had 4 barrels, kind of like a pepperbox pistol but the barrels are stationary and a striker rotates around. To load, the barrels tilt up, like a double barrel shotgun.

Pardon the little trip down my lightly travelled memory lane.

I think AMT has the ultra-sub-compact 45ACP market cornered, (Also known as "belly gun) partly because you have to be that close to be sure you will hit what you are aiming at.

Lost Sheep

+1 for the all steel Kahr. I have a K40 that's been 100% reliable as my main carry gun. For something smaller, the MK9 and MK40 are very compact and still pack a punch.

Northern security was out of MK40's. I wish it was as small as the PM9. I'll keep looking around. Thanks!

Here's a good chart that compares pocket guns:
    http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

The specs for the all metal Kahr's are to the right under the pics of the polymer ones. According to the chart, the MK40 is the same exact size as the PM9 in all dimensions except length, where it is only .05" longer.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.