Thread: .410 Barrel length limitations

Default .410 Barrel length limitations

So I've got a little pea shooter I wanted to chop down to a 12-14" barrel for easier packing on the snowmachine.

And the reason I thought this might be a possibility was because of that Taurus "Judge" pistol that can shoot .410 rounds - technically a "shotgun" - in a less than 5" barrel.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the .410 exempt from the 18" shotgun barrel rule?? I know the Judge isn't a Class III firearm!

It's a shot gun so 18" min, 16" for rifles. Keep it a little longer just to be safe, in case they measure.

The pistols that fire .410 get around this by having rifling and being setup to fire 45 colt.

If you have a rifled barrel and are larger then .500" then it is a destructive device, unless it is a shotgun with a rifled barrel they have a special exemption.

If you put a rifled barrel on a .410 I am not sure if the limit would be 16" or 18". There are so many oddities in the rules I would not want to guess.

After researching on the BATFE website, I have found that it is not illegal federally for you to alter your shotgun, but you have to obtain prior approval from the ATF, register it with the ATF, and pay a $200.00 tax. Check out page 186 of the attached. As for the state, I don't know what the laws are on this.

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pu...004/p53004.pdf

Hmmm - good info guys. Thanks. I guess I'll just leave it be.

Sure is splitting hairs when rifling inside a barrel makes it fine... HA!

Default TC?

You might check out the TC handguns for .410. They used to make a great .410 setup for the Contender.

Default Caution

You are about to commit a felony.

It is not the rifling. The Taurus Judge was manufactured as a pistol. Regardless of the projectile it is a pistol. The moment you modify that shotgun, which was not manufactured as a pistol,to less than 18" you are a felon (or at least committing a felony). A firearm manufactured as a pistol may be modified to a rifle with longer barrel and butt stock. But a fire arm manufactured as a rifle/shotgun may not be modified to be a pistol. This applies to AR pistol/rifle configurations, Thomson Center Encore/Contender as well as others. You may own a short AR barrel with upper receiver only if you have no lower receiver or have a lower receiver manufactured as a pistol. The lower receivers are identical just like the TC Contender/Encore. You or I can not tell the difference, but the ATF will be able to go to the manufacture with the serial number and find out if it was manufactured as a rifle or a pistol. Just remember the ATF is very good at splitting hairs and has lots of resources and time to do it.

Thompson Center took a case all the way to the supreme court. This is the only reason we can use common receivers at all. When dealing with interchangeable receivers be very careful you stay within the law. Do not accidently put an AR pistol upper, with barrel shorter than 16", on an AR rifle lower (even if you own all the necessary parts to have both gun configurations), or assemble your TC Encore pistol barrel (less than 16") with butt stock still installed, these are felonies. The TC pistol .45/410 15" or less barrel may only be assembled in the pistol configuration. Assemble the pistol grip first then attach the short barrel. Doing it the other way is a crime.

Again, this may seem to be samantics or spitting hairs. But it is the law. And the ATF has lots of time to make sure your not spitting hairs. Thats their job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...r_Arms_Company

http://stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

I believe the tax on a short shotgun is still five dollars not the two hundred like for full auto.If you do builda short shotgun you must only sell it to someone else whole has the five dollar tax stamp.

So, how about this question - what handguns can (Other than the Judge) can fire a .410 round? T/C?? Could you get a LONG cylinder on a .44?

I'd like a 6 round revolver with a 9.5" barrel that could fire .410 rounds. Rifled barrel OR smooth bore

I'd suspect by the time you cut the barrel down that short, thus robbing a fair bit of velocity, and add rifling which really opens up the pattern that you'd be looking at gun of questionable effectiveness. I'm all for handy guns, until they get to the point that you give up on performance.

Default TC

TC's web site has 12" and 14" listed for their single shot barrels for the new Contenders.

In the old days they put out a 10" smooth barrel in .45/410 with an external choke. Latter they came out with 14" vent rib with internal choke. May have been other styles.

I have one of the 10" barrels. I can hit a sitting grouse with it. I had a friend that could do very well on hand thrown clays...made me look pretty bad!

There are a few .410/45colt deringers out there.

alright Leonard - now we're talkin! I'll be researching these now!