Thread: Powder for 06

Default Powder for 06

I know this question must have been asked before but searching turned up everything and nothing.

I am just starting hand loading.

I am looking for a powder for .30-06. I have read several reloading manuals and it looks like H4350 is a good powder for 150 to 220 grain bullets, which I plan to load.

My question are as fallows:
    1. Am I even on the right track with this Powder, is it a good choice for this range of bullet weights?
    2. Is this powder good over a range of temperatures, the Hodgdon web pages says it is "insensitive to hot/cold temperatures" is this true?
    3. Is there another powder I should be looking at as well in case I can't find this locally?

On a side note, where is a good place to purchase powder and primers in Fairbanks? Sportsmans is just a bunch of empty shelves.

Thanks

I have loaded and fired thousands of 06 rounds and 4350 is my powder of choice!

X2, tuff to beat any of the 4350's in a 30-06. My second choice would be IMR if I couldnt find the Hodgdon. Some guns may have a particular preference for one over the other with a given bullet weight.

Ditto on the H4350 or IMR4350 for the '06...H4350 is reported to be the less temperature sensitive of the two. I've also used RL-19 with very good results, as well as IMR4320.

If Fairbanks retailers are like Anchorage right now, you'll have time to do some more research before being able to buy primers and powders...mostly sold out for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I know this question must have been asked before but searching turned up everything and nothing.

I am just starting hand loading.

I am looking for a powder for .30-06. I have read several reloading manuals and it looks like H4350 is a good powder for 150 to 220 grain bullets, which I plan to load.

My question are as fallows:
    1. Am I even on the right track with this Powder, is it a good choice for this range of bullet weights?
    2. Is this powder good over a range of temperatures, the Hodgdon web pages says it is "insensitive to hot/cold temperatures" is this true?
    3. Is there another powder I should be looking at as well in case I can't find this locally?

On a side note, where is a good place to purchase powder and primers in Fairbanks? Sportsmans is just a bunch of empty shelves.

Thanks
    I have had the best performance with 165 grain and heavier bullets using 4350. For 150 and lighter it's a toss up between 4895 and 4064. My favorite all purpose bullet is the 180 grain Nosler partition.