Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why the big ammo buy out?

Default why the big ammo buy out?

I can picture that the new administration wants to redo the Assault weapons ban, and probably can do so in a hurry. But what is the deal with everyone hording the ammo? I dont think they are going to ban that in a few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I can picture that the new administration wants to redo the Assault weapons ban, and probably can do so in a hurry. But what is the deal with everyone hording the ammo? I don't think they are going to ban that in a few weeks?
    The oboma team is going to put a hate tax on ammo.... if they can't take your guns right away they'll make them so expensive and ammo so expensive that soon only the rich will be able to afford hunting and target practice.
    Like what Anchorage did with tobacco taxes so now the only way kids can afford cigarettes is to rob someone first
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default Take your chances

I've always stocked up quite a bit, simply because I can't stand getting low on anything. It's the same reason my gas tank never goes below half and my pantry/freezer is almost always full. There's a certain level of everything I always want to have and when I consume something or shoot some, I get some more.

Well over a year ago, with the prospect of a Clinton/Obama in the White House, I upped my desired stock levels of ammo, mags, and reloading supplies a lot and have been buying as I could afford (and sometimes even though I couldn't) over the past year. You propose that they probably wouldn't or couldn't do it that fast; our process and history says that they can. They'll have the votes, probably the will, and the arrogance to do it.

If they don't...fine, but I'm not willing to take that chance. I'm a self-reliant person and I'll be fu-bared if anyone is going to take that away from me. In the least, I've got more ammo/supplies than I normally would and now will be able to shoot at less cost for years to come.

(Oh, and ditto on Bear Buster's points regarding ammo taxes and the effect)

TAXES~TAXES~TAXES~TAXES~TAXES....

You know, (not picking on you matt) but this kind of question scares the hell out of me;

"I can picture that the new administration wants to redo the Assault weapons ban, and probably can do so in a hurry. But what is the deal with everyone hording the ammo? I don't think they are going to ban that in a few weeks?"

If people actually did the research about Obama and paid attention throughout this last campaign, people wouldn't be asking this question. I have seen it asked a few times "here" and at a few other forums as well. Friday I picked up another 3500rnds of ammo and twice at the store I heard, "Man can you believe these shelves? Wonder whats been going on, a sale or sumthin'?" And I am just dumb founded.

Not "my president Obama" cannot not "take" your guns away from you, period! There's is no way in hell congress will pass a bill to change the constitution, but, however there is a huge straight open hwy for them to create/pass/sign a bill in to raise the tax rate on gun's and ammo. And that my friends is going to get expensive, this is what I am hearing.

Up to 600% for ammo/reloading stuff.

up to 750% on guns.

I know I sure as hell can't afford that, so, hence me running around looking for deals. I don't know when this will happen or if it even will happen, but if it does happen I will have all I need for a long time and be happy as a hog in ----- ........ Not to mention if you look at some of the prices the stores are already starting to gouge you for this ripple affect.

Gosh dang it, you guys got me spun up first thing in the morning! Going to get a cup of java.........

The original NFA of 1934 wasn't a ban per se but a tax. A very high tax at the time that amounted to a ban because hardly anyone could afford to buy a machinegun or such afterwards for years until inflation lowered the impact (at which point they went to an outright ban on new machienguns, in 1986). Taxing ammo heavily is one of the antis' goals...

Maybe if you can't afford ammo you can by drugs or something that they will be more sympathetic to.....they'll give you a check and free needles
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default Rate of return

A case in the basement is worth 2 on the store shelf. I am beating inflation with my stock pile. Better return on my investment than my 401K.

3500 rounds for one person! No wonder I cant find anything. I went to sportsmans for a box of 22 ammo today. All they had was a couple of boxes of the real expensive match stuff.

This paranoia is out of control.

You know Ken at wild west said something in the newspaper article about how everybody needs to calm down, and think of a better way at tackling the problem rather than buy buy buy. Thats a good piece of advise. Time to be proactive rather than reactive.

Lets say they do pass that tax. Are you going to use that 3500 rounds of ammo? probably not. You'll think to yourself "man all I got is 3500 rounds, that has to last me and my family for generations"

In the meantime Im pissed cause I cant even find a box of 22 ammo to use this weekend cause of all the doomdayers hording it all.

I hope this just backfires and provides plenty of cheap ammo at the gunshows for decades to come.

Thumbs down the whole thing is silly...

how much ammo do you need? and what for?
    i need a few boxes of 20 ga, and enough .22 for the boy to practice, but realistically i have enough .338 and .270 ammo for all the hunting i ( and my wife) will likely do in the next 4-5 years. that's about 5 boxes, total.
    the only thing driving prices up and availability down is fear and profiteering.
    i have never seen so many semi-autos being bought and sold with no REAL justification... just wild speculation based on paranoia and innuendo.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Its so funny how hording causes such extreme panic. I was in Sportsmans the other day to buy a box of ammo and cant believe the sillyness that has gone on in the last week or so. Cleaning the shelves out and for what? So your fellow hunters cant buy a single box of ammo to be used today , ensuring that you will have ammo for the rest of your life? The whole thing is crazy to me! The time it will take for the local businesses to restock the shelves will be quite lengthy and many will go without as a result of folks being greedy.

Default hording

Okay guys, obviously those nay sayers have not paid attention to the history of taxes, ammunition and rifle restrictions, etc
    For those of you who do not mind spending two,three or four times the money on the same box of shells that now cost 10.00, fine, great,
    for those of us who have seen what the 'anti-gun' consortium has done in the past , we will continue to prepare for the worst, and boy oh boy here it comes.
    IF you really want to know what may come and will probably come, join the NRA , join something and read what the Firearms/munitions industry is preparing for.
    Lawsuits, further restrictions, ridiculously high taxes to be prohibitive for purchase.
    I vividly remember Bush's assault ban, the Brady Bill etc.
    'Panic buying' labeling all you want, Good luck to you.
    I did not vote for this regime, I am very much aware of the Speaker of the House's agenda, aw heck, none of them are hiding it! Just read, read what they are saying, have said, and hope to accomplish.
    If it does not curl your toes and cause you to 'panic buy', then great, take that 'soma' pill and rock on.
    I hear this all the time around me, and it just irks me to no end.
    'What's the big deal?, they can't delete the Second Amendment, gosh gee, for Gods Sake read a little, just a little.
    I remember walking into Sears and buying a rifle,ammunition, Kmart, Walmart,
    ammo on the general store's shelves, 100 rounds of 9mm was 9.99 (about two years ago)
    I have worked off duty in sporting good stores and having the ATF come in and terrify everyone, threatening arrest and confiscation, and that was during the Republican era of Bush's gun bans. It became much worse during Clinton.
    If any of you voted for Obama, ..............speechless.
    If I offend anyone with this tirade, okay, freedom of speech, remember that one?

3500 rounds for one person!
    This paranoia is out of control.
    Yup 3500rdns and 1500 the night of the election.

Will I ever shoot it all? O heck yea, I've gone through 500-600rnds out at the cabin just messing around in a weekend.

As for the panick? I'm not panicking, I've got the ammo I need at the cheapest price for now. Wanna buy a box?

Yeah I did want to buy a box, I was at the store already, they are sold out. Thats my frustration. And I need CCI standard velocity or pistol match 22 LR ammo. Or if you have any 300 win mag ammo Id be interested in that too since all the reloading components are gone as well.

Ive read the obamma stuff on his website, I dont see in there where it mentions raising taxes on ammunition. His administration scares me when it comes to my guns, but hopefully they will focus on the bigger fish to fry wich should keep them busy for the 4 years they are in office. Also I hope they remember the blow they recieved the last time they messed around with our guns.

Im going to join the NRA. And enroll my wife and kid as well.

I think that will do more good than me contributing to the panic and the press reporting that a bunch of conspiricay theorists are stockpiling ammo in their basements.

Or if you have any 300 win mag ammo Id be interested in that too since all the reloading components are gone as well.

I shoot a .300WSM so that ammo is no good to you, I could part with 500rounds of .22 plinkers for ya.

I've been pounding the web for .220 swift reloading stuff and coming up with big goose eggs, still looking.......

I appreciate the offer but That hypervelocity stuff is not for my pistol. Im not sure if its true or not but supposedly you dont want that stuff for S&W model 41's. Just standard velocity stuff.

I have various 22 cal bullets, most are 40 to 50 grains, opened boxes, but a good selection for experimenting. I have lots of small rifle primers I put an ad in the classifieds check it out.

how much ammo do you need? and what for?
    EXACTLY!!!!!

As much as I want..... and it's nobody's business what it's for....
    That's why the rush is on....get it now?

lol if anyone in the FBKS area has a box of small rifle primers that they are willing to part with, id appreciate it. I cant find any in town. lol

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I will tell you what is even more frightning.......... now that you have all horded up all this ammo, they will find some lame brain excuse like they did in Callywack and claim that they have found some poor endangered someting or other that died from lead poisening, and they will ban any ammo with exposed lead. So your thousands of horded cartridges will be completely useless.............. which would make you an idiot unless all you bought was loaded with Barnes or similar all copper bullets. That means that the only guys out there that are dumber than you would be the guys like ME that have been hording LEAD to make bullets that would then be TOTALY worthless................. YIKES.......... I sure hope I am wrong.................. I really hate it when I am the dumbest of the dummies
    But hey........ its not like I can afford to hord the Barnes bullets. At least not enough of they to make much of a difference anyway.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Why I Hoard

I have been hoarding for the past couple years, not the past couple months. Why? That question has been answered, because now it is difficult to find ammo on the shelves.

Everyone on these forums seem like decent people, but if you can't get ammo due to your lack of preparedness, don't blame the guys (and gals) that got to it first. If you're comfortable entrusting your destiny and freedom to Washington one box of ammo at a time, by all means, carry on.

For me and my house.....been there/done that. I'll shoot every round I have and reload it a few times before the next decade loses it's virginity. Like Bear Buster said, it's no one's business anyway...this is the USofA, right? If they ban lead, tax the hell out of ammo, make possession of brass casings illegal (ballistic printing anyone?), or punish criticism of Obama with the penalty of death, I'm still doing it.

Very well said, gave you rep points for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by martialcanine.45 View Post
    I have been hoarding for the past couple years, not the past couple months. Why? That question has been answered, because now it is difficult to find ammo on the shelves.

Everyone on these forums seem like decent people, but if you can't get ammo due to your lack of preparedness, don't blame the guys (and gals) that got to it first. If you're comfortable entrusting your destiny and freedom to Washington one box of ammo at a time, by all means, carry on.

For me and my house.....been there/done that. I'll shoot every round I have and reload it a few times before the next decade loses it's virginity. Like Bear Buster said, it's no one's business anyway...this is the USofA, right? If they ban lead, tax the hell out of ammo, make possession of brass casings illegal (ballistic printing anyone?), or punish criticism of Obama with the penalty of death, I'm still doing it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast