Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My e-caller (homemade)

Default My e-caller (homemade)

A big thanks to arrowslinger for getting me started on this project!

Here are some photos of the e-caller I recently put together -

I started with a basic bull horn style speaker (15watt) and a Coleman thermos

I cut the end of the thermos off and mounted the speaker in the bottom.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I got a small basic 9 volt amplifier from Radio Shack and took it apart for the board. My wife's Ipod made a great source for the sound clips I downloaded.

A power switch and LED power indicator in the lid and I'm good to go!

The completed unit!!

I still have to figure out a secure way to mount the circuit board and battery holder then I will give it a white paint job. It is functional at this stage, I just have to get a chance to go try it out!

Aside from the Ipod, I have about $50 into the unit. MUCH better than the $5-600+ I was looking at for a commercial unit.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'd really like to hear how it works. If it's effective, perhaps I need to try making one of those myself.

Default Thank you

Thank you for sharing. let us know how it works. Hillbilly

Thanks guys, the sounds I have played with so far really sound good and volume is easily as loud as any mouth call I have used.

Here is the site where a lot of the info came from as well as a lot of MP3 files you can download for free - Varmint site
    AKmud

Default very nice

Nice. I think that one of the best cold weather setups Ive seen. A little bit of insulation will help with the battery life. Just a note... remember to keep the ipod in you jacket on the really cold nights, they don't last too long at sub zero temps.

Thanks Byrd, it was mentioned on another forum that since the housing is insulated, one could put a couple of those chemical handwarmers inside and keep the battery/electronics nice and warm without much problem.

It will be fun to experiment!
    AKmud

Magiver, what's he going to do with that thing?

Way cool Rob, wish I would of known before spending the $499.00 for a fox pro.

Default Wow!!!

That is the coolest e-caller Ive ever seen! great idea with the cooler! I've never been interested in the electronics because of the price. it looks like such a cool project I might have to try building one.

Do you think you could could give us a materials list and about how much the pieces cost? My wife has an i-pod I could barrow too!!!

Default Im builing one

i was just about to ask where to get sounds. Thanks AKmud you just saved me about $300. Hillbilly

AKMUD did your trip for last night fall through? I was going to go but my son reminded me the UFC Lesnar / Couture fight was coming on.

AkMUD ordered just the right speaker for his setup. I use hand warmers with mine and it works fine. Depends on how cold the day is if you need them.

If AKMUD doesn't have the e-mail any more I have one all ready to go with all the links for sounds instructions and parts list (even the parts numbers so you can just walk right in and pick them up). Just send me your E-mail and I'll send you the list.

Default I use an insulated bag.

Here is the way I use mine. I can carry extra batteries, granola bars and hand warmers. Open one up and throw it in the bag and everything stays toasty. When I'm done everything tucks back inside and I'm off. AKMUD's definitely looks better. It will look even better once it's painted. I am making another one with the Speco speakers like MUD used. I want to see if there is any difference. There was some conversation as to which is better on another forum. Not trying to Hijack your thread AKMUD.

Default Sweet

That is awesome. A great project to do with the kids. Thanks for sharing. My dog was pretty amped when I started downloading the calls from that website. Thanks again.

A.S.- your always welcome up here to give it a try in the area .. we have a few predators to get...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Here is the basic parts list, I already had the Ipod but the one listed here looks like a good, cheap option (prices are not accurate, but the part #'s are) -

Rio 600 MP3 Player (bought off of E-Bay) $20.00 including shipping.
    (Or the sound source can be a Walkman Type Cassette Player, Walkman Type CD Player or even a Digital Voice Recorder)

Insulated Coffee Mug (5" outside diameter x 9 1/2" long) = $5.99ea

Speco SPC-5 PA Speaker (bought off the net) = $8.59ea

Radio Shack #277-1008, Mini Audio Amplifier/Speaker = $11.99ea

Radio Shack #275-1565, SPST Soft Feel Push on Push Off Switch = $2.19ea

Radio Shack #274-372, 90 Degree Adaptor 1/8 = $2.99ea ($5.98 2 used on amp)

Radio Shack #274-286, 1/8" Mono Jack = $1.99ea

Radio Shack #42-2387, 6 Foot Patch Cord 1/8" Stereo Plug on each end = $3.99ea

Radio Shack #276-084, LED Indicator Light for Amp (fits 3/16" hole) = $1.99ea
    AKmud

Default thank you

Thanks for the list Mud.

This is GREAT ! Just got back from hunting bunnies and birds on the Kenai peninsula and saw some fresh wolf and yote tracks across/around a few different lakes and was muttering to myself " I'd love to come back and try to call them in" but was hesitating to spend the $ for an electronic caller. This has inspired me to follow up. Thanks everyone for the sharing.

I haven't ever done any predator calling before, but that looks like a great project, and I'm gonna have to try and build one during thanksgiving thanks for the parts list, I'll post mine if i get it built.

Pretty slick mud!!!! Good luck this winter.

Ooooooo....this is getting better!

I just found a wireless mic system for $79 that will make the caller work remotely! dak.com

Using their Camcorder No Cable Mic Lavalier Lapel system, the unit can be used up to 250' away from the sound source. I think I have something to put on my Christmas list!!

AKmud

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast