Thread: Local ptarmy hunt

Wink Local ptarmy hunt

My buddy and I had a few extra hours after sighting in his new .17 HMR (sweet shooter) so we ran up the mountain for some snow chickens. It was all about the snow shoes with 2 feet of snow in our sweet-spot. We usually spot birds in the 50's, but only managed to jump 8. He pulled the trigger on 2 of them at about 75 yards, and his rifle that shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards had no problems on those chunky birds. He couldn't get stabilized on the slope of the mountain to get head shots.

I was too busy staying on top of an avalanch to get any shots off (scary as heck!). That fricking avalanch threat is real and already here!

We would normally run the 100 yards after the flock to shoot more, but his cramping legs and my near-death experience, joined with his 2 for 2 harvest convinced us to let them alone for another day.

If I ever have to leave this great land, I'm sure going to miss it. Where else can you get all of this? I love this place....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice

Looks like you guys had a good time out. Wish I could have joined you. Working for a living is for the birds. Well, not in this case.

I wish I would have been lucky enough to have even seen some ptarmy yesterday, didn't see any or much sign. Congrats on the birds and a great trip

my legs still hurt! AT least they're not locked up anymore...that little 17 hummer sure makes a big hole in them birdies...actually didn't destroy the meat too bad at all. must've gotten lucky cause it looked like a tennis ball plowed through those birds!!

Yeah i went and hiked around yesterday for about 5 hours, and started out by forgetting my coat, and my water when I got to the bottom of the mountain. Well i was like it'll be ok and man were my knees feeling it by the end of the day, because I was so dehydrated. Today luckily it's only in my calves thank goodness. Next time if I forget the water I'm turning around to get it.

Default 17 hummer

what bullet were you using? i have found FMJ's for my hummer
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

yea next time I go up a beacon shovel probe and partner will be required... Avy threat is real in the mountains here
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

i was using 17gr vmax..just cause I had bunch left over...they don't group as well. What really flies well out of my barrel are hte cci and federal tnt rounds...Those suckers are accurate!!!! Literally same hole groups at 50yards, 1/4groups at a 100yards....but man do they blow up stuff....

Vmax will do just as good but I prefer the tnt round...

FMJ would be great game head, preserve the meat better, but I could only find the 20 gr. and I like the 17gr better...

We got some too. Got a ghost too no black!
    Tim

porky and not pig
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    We got some too. Got a ghost too no black!

Good Job MIT!!! I wish I had a sled, but if I did have one I'm afraid my wife would never see me. I'd love to take her along, but that entails buying two of them and 1 with 3 kid seats . It's snowshoing for me.

BY THE WAY, an all white ptarmigan with no color is a "white ptarmigan"? Am I correct? ...thought I read it somewhere. It struck my attention because I shot one up by Anchorage the same day I shot a bunch of willow ptarmigan.

Keep those pics rolling MIT. It's what gets us through the long cold.

BY THE WAY, an all white ptarmigan with no color is a "white ptarmigan"? Am I correct? ...thought I read it somewhere. It struck my attention because I shot one up by Anchorage the same day I shot a bunch of willow ptarmigan.
    They are the "whitetail" variety. They inhabit the zone between the higher ( in elevation )rock ptarmigan and the lower more abundant willow ptarmigan. They are also smaller is size.

Default You know...

I thought nothing of it at the time, but my sons first ptarmy was all white. Yet another thing I like about this forum.

my ptarmy was all red........couldn't help it...dang 17....

mit, looks like good ridin' up where you were at. You up for a "general area" of where you were just for snow condition reports?