Thread: Oh NO Another NOOB Question

Default Oh NO Another NOOB Question

Hi All,
    I want to start reloading and my friend suggested I get a single stage press the better to learn on. But I want to load .223 for my AR so I was thinking of a progressive press. For the single stage press I was looking at a RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit from Cabelas. It looks to have most everything I need to start out. In the item description it says it can be uprgraded to a progressive press, has anyone have any experience doing that and how much would the upgrade cost?
    If I went with a progressive press I was looking at the Dillion RL550.

Default Single stage for Starts

When I was introduced to reloading a few years ago by a family friend, it was all single stage. I was only allowed to look at the progressive from a far and dream...actually, I think he let me operate it once.

Now that I have my own setup - all single stage - I have no regrets. In fact, I doubt I will ever get a progressive. Reloading is fun and I'm not too bad at pumping out a decent amount of rounds anyway.

You actually learn the intricacies of reloading, which makes you a better reloader in the long run and actually saves time early on. If you start on a progressive, you can make a whole lot of mistakes in one session and not catch it until late. For load development, you won't want to produce a ton of rounds anyway until you know what works.

I have single stage set up and a progressive set up for loading metallic cartridges. Loading .223's just begs for a progressive machine.

The Dillon 550B is an first rate loading machine, and it's certainly easy enough learn on and get going. While you're learning, you can load one round at a time and use it like a turret press. After you get the hang of things and gain confidence, you can run it as a progressive machine.

Given what you want do, the 550B is a great choice.

Thanks for the input!! I guess I failed to mention that I also hope to reload for .338 Win, 9mm, 30.06 and .40 S&W. I think I will go ahead and get the RCBS RC Supreme Kit to gain some experience and save up for the Dillion 550 for cranking out .223.

Default Enjoy!

You've made a good decision to start single stage and a good choice with that RCBS setup! There's nothing wrong with getting a progressive early if a good bargain comes up, and setting it aside to deploy when the time is right.

Welcome to reloading and enjoy! Shooting may get a whole lot more expensive....the more you make, the more you save, the more you shoot - the more you shoot, the more you make. Viscious cycle.