Thread: New single bevel broad heads

Default New single bevel broad heads

Alaska bowhunter supply has a new line of broad heads out that I cant wait to get my hands on. They are based on the data developed by Dr Ashby during his extensive study of broad head penetration. They have a 440 stainless single bevel blade that rates 58 on the Rockwell hardness scale. They are available in 2 shapes, I really like the Samurai. They are about 10 bucks cheaper than silver flames but still very pricey. However if they are of silver flame quality I'm sure they will be worth the price.......$79.95 for 3.

OK I'll stand back and let the bashing begin.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I read Dr. Ashby's article a few months ago in TBM and was pretty intrigued. Before that point I hadn't given much thought to single bevel versus double bevel. The pictures of the cracked pelvis bone was impressive.

$80 / 3 does seem pretty pricey. But if they really are a quality broadhead that can be re-sharpened and used time and again, that price would get a little easier to swallow with each animal harvested. Just don't lose one

These are not your average stamped steel plate, the blade is thick and stunningly sharp. The silver flames remind me of my really good German carving tools. If the Samurai is the same quality it will be the new gold standard for big game. According to the web site one has scored a pass through on a Asiatic water buffalo from a 66# bow!

BTW TBM published the short version, the complete report leaves no doubt of the benefits of a single bevel.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I can see the benefits of single bevel & may try them, but don't think I can swallow the price of those. If there was a huge difference in performance maybe, but will they really outperform the new Eclipse single bevel, or even the old Grizzly at only a little over $3.00 each? I'm not sure...
    I like the one piece dcesign of the Ashby special, but the weight would be a bit much for me at 300gr. My grizzly Sticks are just about right with 175gr right now.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

for all you guys wanting to try a single bevel head 3 rivers archery has the Zwickey NO MERCY in a single bevel and are 165 grans. They may not be the best in german engineering buy at 16 bucks for 3 they might be worth trying and doing some testing with before commiting that much money to something that you are not sure of. I have read the good Dr. artical and am planning on shooting them out of my compond on next years grizz hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mac87toy View Post
    for all you guys wanting to try a single bevel head 3 rivers archery has the Zwickey NO MERCY in a single bevel and are 165 grans. They may not be the best in german engineering buy at 16 bucks for 3 they might be worth trying and doing some testing with before commiting that much money to something that you are not sure of. I have read the good Dr. artical and am planning on shooting them out of my compond on next years grizz hunt.
    Hmmm...
    The No Mercies in my fall 3 Rivers catalog are standard double bevel. Is ther a new one available??
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

yes they are on there web site. also wenzal is supposed to be coming out with a 125 grain screw in head that they sould be getting any day now.

My two cents on $27 BH's...
    I used to pay $90 for 100 ash shafts and $13 for 6 Ribtek 190's. My only limitation then was putting the arrow in the kill zone. I've read Dr.A's article and see the benefits of his study. I'm all for improvement but if I pay $17 a shaft and $27 per BH I am still faced with the same limitation as before. A heavy shaft with a razor sharp double bevel BH in the basket will still work the same as it did before Dr.A.
    Zwickey's single bevel looks good but they lost me when they decided to sell them in threes and jack the price up. When Grizzly decides to grind a left wing BH I will buy them unless they double the price. I recently bought some 160 Stos to replace my aging Ribteks. They're double bevel, have a good angle, are 55 rw hard, don't plane and are about $25 per 6. I'm confident they will do the job as long as I do mine.
    I switched back to traditional gear 16 years ago inpart because I was tired of needing the latest greatest gizmo to improve my bowhunting. I don't want to think about a $40+ arrow when I'm trying to pick a spot.
    I've seen a number of threads and posts on this sight and other sights that blast Black Widow for the price of their bows. To put this in prospective, if you shoot and hunt alot, 2 dozen high end shafts and a dozen high end broadheads equal a new BW bow about every 1-3 years. Speaking only for me, that is too much to pay.

DW, I agree with most of what you said, although for my the Grizzly Stick shafts have been an investment well worth making. I was a woody guy before that, but these are always straight & I've onlty been able to break one in almost 3 yrs. Shot it into a piece of solid concrete (not on purpose) & the insert was loose. It drove the inset up into the shaft. If not for my own mistake I still have them all.
    Vance in AK.

I've seen all the mentioned broad heads and they share one common trait 16ga steel that is less than a millimeter thick! The silver flame and the samurai are closer to 1/4 inch. Really compared to the cost of rifle ammo and the fact these will last for years I think the cost is negligible. I can bend most of the mentioned broad heads by bracing them against a board and pushing down with my hand, hows that going to preform when it hits bone? Premium ammo for my 338 win mag is at $75.00 a box and I'll never get those back after pulling the trigger. You stare down a pissed bull moose with tin can broad heads if you want but now that there is something better on the market I'm going to give them a try. I'm good enough to keep my shots in the boiler room but threading an arrow through the 1 inch gap between ribs at 20 yards is another story.

Guys I felt the same way you do till I saw a silver flame, there was no other broad head on the market anywhere near it's quality! It truely is a fine quality double edged hunting knife you mount on a arrow. I have a rep for being shall we say tight fisted with my money and very resistant to new gadgets, this is the one exception. If the Samurai is of the same quality it will be the new gold standard in broad heads.
    BHA Member

Rick, I certainly respect your choices. I wear King of the Mountain wool, use Swarovski binos, Leopold scopes, and recently ordered my first Black Widow. I have my reasons for all the above. I may even give the Grizzly Sticks a try but the Alaskan test pack I order contained an Alaskan and Safari shaft that was so crooked I wouldn't think of shooting either. I almost sent them back but gave'em a stout straightening and they have remained straight.? Haven't shot them yet. Still waiting for the Widow to arrive. We'll see. One thing is for sure. I'll need to break my selfbow/wood shaft/stump shooting habit if I get sucked into $15 shafts. Still haven't give up on wood and I plan to order some heavy spined hickory. Will put hickory up against anything for tuffness. Take a look at the Stos again. They're triple thick down the center. I think you would break a shaft before bending them on the bench. Plenty strong to penetrate the thickest ribs.

[quote=DWLong;369366]One thing is for sure. I'll need to break my selfbow/wood shaft/stump shooting habit if I get sucked into $15 shafts. quote]

I haven't given up stumping with Grizzly Sticks. I just use Judos so I don't loose them.
    I have however given up shooting at grouse high up in trees when there is no backstop behind them, but that's a different story ....

By the way, you should send those back!!!! Mine are all straight (and I bought them all used !). Not sure how you would straighten one & get it to stay.
    Vance in AK.

I got a set of Samurai's for Yule and I am totally thrilled with them. Spooky sharp, amazing craftsmanship, these bad boys even look like they're hungry for Bear. I got the 150's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

Default wow

seems to me that a zwickey or a wensel - or any decent cut on impact broadhead kills elk quickly if you put it in the right spot...

80$ for 3 broadheads - guess you might want them if you are hunting tyrannasouraus rex.

Anything smaller I will use my "cheap" broadheads.