Thread: First fish/Anchorage Ice

Default First fish/Anchorage Ice

Well I caught my first fish in Alaska, I have no idea what it was. I'm guessing it was a landlocked salmon but I guess it could have been a rainbow. It was purpleish with black spots and about 7 inches long.

I spent almost the whole day on Sand Lake and didn't get any bites. I soaked herring under a tip-up for pike and jigged swedish pimple w/shrimp for trout/char. On the way home I stopped at Jewel lake and went out to the first hole left by someone else and began catching (salmon?) as fast as I could get the jig in the water. I'm waiting on a phone call from a friend to maybe go fish Upper Fire tomorrow or else I'm going to try the other side of Sand Lake.

When it comes to landlocked salmon/trout/char, what (if any) size is considered "eatin size"? Are any of the stocked fish decent eating? All in all it was a great day and I can't wait to get back out there!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

your buddy must have a house or know someone that lives on upper fire? as far as i remember there is no public acess to upper fire lake.

Maybe I ment lower fire lake, I can't remember what he told me. He is "in the know" however.

Congratulations! I am assuming the ice must be thick enough now. I have had some good luck at Sand Lake in the past the fish there tend to be a bit larger than at Jewel lake.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

I quit eating trout/char from the local lakes after I discovered parasites in the guts for about half the fish I was keeping. Asked ADF&G they said, you are good to go as long as they are cooked properly. As far as size goes, I would say anything that will fit in the skillet. Most of these stocked fish do not make it to see spring in the shallow lakes. Congrats on the first catch, sure is fun when you get into them. If you are after some biiger fish, try shrimp or jigs in lakes that have a bit more depth. Make sure you post a report on fire lake, good luck.

Default Good luck at Sand Lake

I fished that lake have a dozen times last year and only caught two fish. I know where to fish the lake as I have done very well in the past there. With the lower level of stocking and everyone keeping their fish the lake sucks. It was my favorite lake for the past three years. I have had to move out to the valley for bigger and better fish. Good luck though, maybe you will catch one of those lunker pike swimming in there.

I went back to Sand lake this morning and got skunked again. Some people down the way said they got a 18" rainbow and that is the only fish I have heard of being caught so far this winter. I stopped at Jewel Lake again on the way back and kept a pair of 12" stocker rainbows. I'm going to head out of town next weekend and try to catch some bigger fish.

That's too bad to hear about Sand Lake. It has been one of my favorites the past few years as well. Only got out there once this summer and I caught a few fish. We always just fish catch and release for sport. I was using powerbait, rainbow scent. It seems both the trout and pike like that.

If any one has any luck this winter there please let us know. I have been looking forward to fishing there since it is only a few blocks from where I live.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Just FYI,

Those stockers didn't taste too bad. I'm still not keeping any more though, I'd rather leave them for kids and girlfriends from FL who have never really fished before to catch.