Thread: Kepler-Bradley report...

Default Kepler-Bradley report...

Fished it today and was somewhat disappointed...SMALL rainbows! Although plentiful, I think the biggest one caught was maybe 8-9 inches. The majority caught were between 6-8"...and they were skinny! Shrimp was the only thing working. The last time I fished it was last summer-- trolling leaches....and they were equally as small...I thought it was a fluke or something. (I figured there's got to be bigger fish in there!)

All in all it was better than sitting at home and listening to my Cougs get pounded by ASU. (Heck, any day fishing is better than sitting at home!) Oh well...

I fished the lakes last weekend had about the same luck, small ones. I was picking them up on jigs and salmon eggs.

sounds about right... They need the free hot water at the hatchery... They miss out on 7 months of growth a year nowadays.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I went out there this summer in my float tube with a buddy and had some luck but I guess it depends on where you fish. We were using spinners so that may make a difference. Had a couple decent size rainbows but nothing huge.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    sounds about right... They need the free hot water at the hatchery... They miss out on 7 months of growth a year nowadays.
    Are you a fisheries biologist Powder? (Fisheries management?)

I've read many of your posts, and you seem to know quite a bit regarding the various bodies of water...rivers and lakes.. statewide.

Just curious.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    When the Ft. Richardson Central Heat and Power Plant closed, the free hot water came to an end. Char and grayling can be reared in cold water, but not rainbows.

The Elmendorf hatchery is currently being rebuilt/upgraded, and I understand when it's done, the Ft. Rich hatchery will go into mothballs (like so many other hatcheries have).

Rainbows can and are raised on cold water at both hatcheries...but it really slows down the growth

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Actually, both hatcheries currently use heated water on all species. Both hatcheries are using heated water from boilers they purchased. There isn't as much hot water as in the past and it's no longer free. Fort Rich hatchery isn't necessarily going to be scrapped after the completion of the new hatchery. It's still up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Are you a fisheries biologist Powder? (Fisheries management?)

I've read many of your posts, and you seem to know quite a bit regarding the various bodies of water...rivers and lakes.. statewide.

Just curious.

Not yet, I do spend most of my free time going through technical reports from fish and game though... Also I work for ADF&G as a fish tech, and I fish a lot and study them when I'm not fishing as a hobby.

Anyway yea Mark you can put rainbows in really cold water they just aren't gonna grow much... I mean they do survive the winters up here, but just don't grow much... AK_Trout can fill you in better than me about the hatchery situation... The bottom line is that F&G can't grow "catchables" as big as they could before the Elmendorf power plant got shut down or whatever.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Actually, both hatcheries currently use heated water on all species. Both hatcheries are using heated water from boilers they purchased. There isn't as much hot water as in the past and it's no longer free. Fort Rich hatchery isn't necessarily going to be scrapped after the completion of the new hatchery. It's still up in the air.
    Actually they use the warm water on start up and depending on what size they are goin to be stocked out at...they are on it till they are stocked out or until they outgrow there raceways and then they are cut off.

The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    .......Fort Rich hatchery isn't necessarily going to be scrapped after the completion of the new hatchery. It's still up in the air.
    I hope it stays.

Why did the Eklutna hatchery close?

Fort Rich. uses well water year round, where as Elmendorf uses well water in the winter and well/creek water in the summer. Elmen. uses the boilers during the cold months to keep the raceways from freezing and of course for growth. If the water gets too cold, a host of things can go wrong. There is a disease that thrives in coldwater (Bacterial Coldwater Disease). Since Fort. Rich. has all the incubators, warm water is used for incubation, thermal marking, broodstock production, and rearing.

FishGod sent you a pm

Eklutna Hatchery closed because Cook Inlet Aquaculture was loosing money. I believe the sockeye came down with IHN (Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis) a few times which did not help with recapture. They also supposedly owed the state a chunk of money.