Thread: Yamaha Rhino

Default Yamaha Rhino

All - considering one of these. I have a Polaris 600 atv already but these look fun for the whole family...any one willing to share info/experience on them?

Default Picking ours up tomorrow.

We just bought two. I have two small children, and the car seats fit perfect in the bucket seats. We looked at Ranger and Prowler, but they were just too big (61" width vs 55" for the Rhino) and our primary interest is trail riding and fun, with myself doing some hunting with mine. Everyone we have talked too loves theirs. Sorry, I can't offer you first hand experience yet on the ride but I will post more once I have them broken in.

Trailering - if you get just one no worries (113" long by 55" wide) but if you get two, you can't trailer them side by side because the exceed the 102" max trailer width. I ended up purchasing a 20' car hauler to accomodate mine which was the cheapest option because a 20' sled hauler is far more expensive (lighter though).

Aftermarket - lots of options. We have purchased windshields, cab enclosure with door kits for ours to keep the wive and kids warmer on colder/rainy days.

Thumbs up Atv Tv

reported that the Rhino was the best "off-road" of the bunch (comparing to the Polaris ranger and Kawi mule). I agree the narrower stance may be a big help in the woods on the 4x4 trails. There are a couple of guys that have them on the Arctic trails forum and swear by them. I think if you are going to be a serious off roader with them though, you may want to invest in a lift and bigger tires.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have watched these machines climb hills like a goat and tackle mud bogs better than any atv I have seen. They are truly impressive to say the least. I was even impressed with the SRA 4 wheeled rangers, but the mud ate them alive.

From what I have read the Rhino is geared a little high compared to other RUV's, but it sure looks like a fun machine.

If they would have been out when I bought my 02 griz I would have bought one for the wife and I. Hopefully we will still get one in the future. I know a guy in Fairbanks here who put the Gorilla 6 inch suspension lift kit on his with 28 inch Mudzillas and that thing is a beast. Check out this site. Lots of good info and videos too.

http://www.utilityoffroad.com/
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

For what it's worth, Rhinos are very popular down here in Southern California. Folks use them in the dunes, hard pack desert, mountain trails etc. There's a whole cottage industry down here for mods -- lifts, wheels, performance parts and so on.

They're almost as popular as sand cars and whole lot less expensive!

I've had mine since last spring and it's been great. I ran Honda Formans for 15 yrs and this thing will go anywhere I've taken them. It's better in the swamp/muck and with locking front and rear axles, nothing has stopped it so far. There are a couple things that I have added and would consider priority. The clutch kit, 26" tires, and the cdi. The first one gets the power in where you need it most, the second gets you more clearance and grab. The third one removes the rev limiter and tweaks the power curve. One more mod, block off or remove the exhaust cooling fan on the right side of the engine. It's not needed in our temps, and drags down the power badly when in the water.
    If you end up getting the rhino, I'll tell you how to make a plug that pops in or out.

Kurt

How are they on side hilling. Looks a little top heavy with that narrow stance.

Docins,
    I have heard that concern, but to date, I haven't seen it. The engine, and running gear all sit down low, so in reality, there isn't all that much weight up top. I've loaded it fairly heavy at times and with two people, it behaves just fine. I'm sure there is a limit, but the same is true of a regular four wheeler. I will say, you need to exercise a little caution on dry pavement as they will grab in a hard fast turn. Again, true of anything.
    What I've found to be a big plus is you can put a 100 miles on it in a day and feel like you could go another, ie it's nice on the body.
    They do have a couple things on the minus side, they are noisy, suck dust in the cab if you have the full windshield on, and the steering is stiff at low speeds with both axles locked.

Kurt

Default 450 vs 660

Ive been looking at these rhinos recently. Any opinions on 450 vs 660?

My understanding is that the 450 is geared a little lower to make up for the cc difference so they are fairly close in the low end power range. You can crank both up with clutch kits, cdi changes etc but I wouldn't put in lift kits and things along those lines. They are good machines and some mods are helpful, but bottom line is they are good out of the box.

Kurt

Default Happy So Far

We picked our two Rhino 660's up on Friday and have put over 50 miles on them already. Toughest ride we did was through more technical trails out towards Knik glacier. My neighbor (Polaris/Artic Cat dealer) took his family and guided us with his Ranger, also along was one of his mechanics with his ATV, then my wife and I with our Rhinos with a kid in each passenger seat. My neighbor decided to vary the trails, so we could see what our machines could do. Stumps, water, mud, inclines and rough terrain were all handled relatively easily considering my wife and I have no ATV experience. Both my neighbor and his mechanic were impressed by the Rhinos. They are bit noisy, and the parking brake release button is sticky requiring WD-40 on a regular basis. Fuel economy I'm estimating at about 14-15 mpg for trail riding (based on our ride at Ft. Rich) and about 9 mpg for the rougher stuff we did. Ground clearance was excellent, and ride is smoother than expected, a plus for keeping our little one's heads from bobbing around. They take a while to clean because you have more machine plus a hood, a bed, a cab and underseat storage that all get dirty (we put them in mud and water up to the fenders and they chugged through just fine).

Default Real nice machine!

We bought one the first year they came out (04) and just get tickled every time we use it. The wife loves to go out, but has no interest in driving. She co-pilots and watches out for the inevitable mud slinging. We went in to Chicken for the caribou opener, towing a trailer with camp. Never got "tired" of riding/driving. It is really nice to be riding along and point out objects of interest to each other. I'd always wish I could talk to her when we riding the wheelers, and now it's just about perfect. I bought it with 27" tires, put a top and windshield on it, and haven't had a problem with anything.

Default rhino

thanks to all that have replied. I just returned from a bou hunt. I called Anc Yamaha and they have some green ones coming in Oct for $8,899. I really want one!

I have had my 660 for a little over a year now. Zero problems so far. Only mods are 27" Vampires and a Warn 4000# winch. I had intended to buy a CDI and a few other mods but after a year without them I realize that I don't need them. As far as power goes it has enough to get the job done

Anyone want to trade one for my 02 Griz?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again