Thread: SR-71 Blackbird

Default SR-71 Blackbird

Not about flying Alaska, but for those that love flight and aircraft, well worth watching.

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com:80/SR-71/index.htm

Default WOW

That bird is friggin awesome. Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thumbs up

I live 35 miles from Beale AFB and used to watch the Blackbird fly. Have been on the base many times (retired Navy) and have watched it take off and land. After it took off there were usually 2 KC-130 tankers that were already in the air for support for it. I have probably seen it flying with the pilot in the vidio. That thing could SCREAM.

Gun Runner

I saw the Blackbird at the Air and Space Museum just a few weeks ago. It's in the annex at Dulles International Airport and the annex, with about 200 planes including a Concorde, the shuttle Enterprise that was used in atmospheric testing and the Enola Gaye, is well worth the drive out from D.C. Also saw one years ago at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Don't know if that one is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorage Aviator View Post
    I saw the Blackbird at the Air and Space Museum just a few weeks ago. It's in the annex at Dulles International Airport and the annex, with about 200 planes including a Concorde, the shuttle Enterprise that was used in atmospheric testing and the Enola Gaye, is well worth the drive out from D.C. Also saw one years ago at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Don't know if that one is still there.
    Saw the Enola Gaye being refurbed at the P.E. Garber facility a little over 20 yrs. ago. Out of high school I worked for a garage door co. Worked in all kinds of places around the D.C. area including the Pentagon and the White House. I was the only one at the co. that could get the req. clearances to work at these places. CIA, you name it. Actually worked in the courtyard at the very center of the P-gon, as well as inside the office areas. Installed rollup shutters in a pavilion at the center, or ground zero, if you will. Saw some pretty cool stuff over the years (6). They used to offer tours at the Garber facility but no longer. Some of the things stored away at the Smitsonian, which includes Garber, you would not believe. We brought back all sorts of planes from WW2. Garber's where they are parked in whse.'s.

And when I say cool stuff, I mean from the dawn of flight. Wish we had digital cameras back in the day. But the Smith. would have been the only place I'd have been able to have taken pic's.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/garber/

Default Great post

I was stationed Davis Montham AFB in Tuscon in December of 1972 and we were called out to the flight line to stand by in the cracker box for an emergency landing. I was a medic at the time. Turns out a SR-71 had a problem over heating in the cockpit somewhere over Colorado. DMAFB was the closest place it could let down slow down to land. Pilot and REO were sweaty but otherwise fine, security was all over the aircraft and after we did our thing we were quickly invited to leave.

In 1995 my wife son and I were flying across Califorina on our way from Corvallis OR to Palm Springs and flew right over Beale AFB (class "C" airspace then) at about 10,000 ft. and you could see the fuel stains on the tarmac where Blackbirds would leak when parked.

Cool stuff

Default Proud to be an American

Thanks for the video clip. Seeing that plane with the flag makes me proud to be an American. My thanks goes out to all of you who have served our country in the military. Happy Thanksgiving!!