Thread: AR-15 & Installing A New Trigger Guard

Default AR-15 & Installing A New Trigger Guard

I'm trying to install a winter trigger guard on my R-15 but the roll pin holding the current plastic trigger guard in place WILL NOT BUDGE! How can I get this sucker out so I can install the new guard? And will I need a new roll pin?

you should just need to get a roll pin tool. If you do that, it should knock the pin out without damaging it. (there is only 1 pin, the other is a spring detent)

Put your new guard on and use the tool to put the pin back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I'm trying to install a winter trigger guard on my R-15 but the roll pin holding the current plastic trigger guard in place WILL NOT BUDGE! How can I get this sucker out so I can install the new guard? And will I need a new roll pin?
    WARNING .....do not just attempt to punch it out. There are many lowers with the ears busted off the lower from folks not removing or installing this pin properly. Some pins fit tight.

On tight pins the best way is to remove the grip. Support the oppisite side with a block that has a hole in (for the pin to move). Then knock the pin out.

To put back on...Insert the back end of the trigger gaurd, put a drop of lube in the hole. , support the back side then punch pin in. Don't attempt to start the pin in the ear without the support and the trigger gaurd inserted.........Then fasten the front of the gaurd with the spring detent, allen screw or what ever your particular gaurd uses.

You'll not be a happy camper if it breaks.........

You are in the danger zone here. The best way to do this is to use a block to support the opposite ear and very gently tap the roll pin out with the correct roll pin punch or use a hydraulic press if you have one. Be gentle!

+1 on what tyrek said

+1 on AkSalcha... i guess i should have described it better, but he did it quite well