Thread: kodiak hares

Default kodiak hares

After 2 unsucessful years hunting the road system for deer in kodiak, I have decided to try for some hares. I went out this morining and found a ton of tracks, but no rabbits. Does anyone have any useful information about hunting for hare here on Kodiak. I would hate to have another year go by with me only shooting at spruce trees again.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    After 2 unsucessful years hunting the road system for deer in kodiak, I have decided to try for some hares. I went out this morining and found a ton of tracks, but no rabbits. Does anyone have any useful information about hunting for hare here on Kodiak. I would hate to have another year go by with me only shooting at spruce trees again.
    I don't know if it's still the same or not (don't see why it wouldn't be...), but when we lived there 2000-2005 we'd go before the snow falls, and after the rabbits changed to white. Take a slow drive out the road system in the evening and they stand out like neon signs against the brown ground/foliage.

Another place we had good luck with was walking the gun range road.

Default Not so good of a hunt

well, I went out just after posting my question and I ended up finding a bunch of tracks on the mountain, but no rabbits. Just before I got back to the car, I ended up dislocating my kneecap. Bad news for this year, but next year I start again.