View Poll Results: Dates for ODD Spring 2009 Float

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • April 18-19 (Fairbanks Outdoor Show weekend)

2 3.08%
  • April 25-26 (Kenai Outdoor Show weekend?)

4 6.15%
  • May 2-3

10 15.38%
  • May 9-10 (Mother's Day weekend)

3 4.62%
  • May 16-17

27 41.54%
  • May 23-24 (Memorial Day weekend)

9 13.85%
  • May 30-31

12 18.46%
  • June 6-7

12 18.46%
  • June 13-14

7 10.77%
  • June 20-21 (Father's Day weekend)

2 3.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ODD Spring Float- Dates Poll!

Default ODD Spring Float- Dates Poll!

Here is the second poll on the ODD spring 2009 float; this one concerns the preferred dates. I'll set it up so you can vote for more than one date if that works for you, but try to focus on the best dates. All of the dates are weekends, because that's when most folks are available. We'll set this up as an overnighter, but with the option to bail out after the first day if necessary.

Once we get the location and dates nailed, we'll be looking for someone to head this up. Then we'll look at what boats are coming, how many open seats we have for non-boat owners, etc.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this one again this year Mike. As it is only november but time will fly by and planning does need to be done.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Michael. I have Scadden 1 person pontoon raft.....and very little experience ( near zero). one trip in upper Kenai. when i had my 3 man did couple down from moose river and one from Centennial. so pretty mild stuff.
    How advanced of a trip is being planned?
    sounds like it would be a great outing. If I'm off slope I would sure try to make it.
    thanx Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Doggone it!

I could have gone on this float any weekend other than the 17th without even thinking about it. May 17th is my anniversary. I'm either going to have to talk my wife into celebrating a week early, or find a baby-sitter for the whole weekend so she can come too...Luckily, I have a pretty understanding wife, so I think I might still be able to make it work.

Sorry, just had to whine a bit.

I'm really hoping to make this trip. I can't think of a better learning opportunity than floating one of these rivers with a dozen, or so, more experienced rafters.

Actually, I've been more of a lurker than a poster on this board, but I'd like a chance to meet everyone.

When would the final date likely be set? I'd like to make it. If not, is there likely to be another get together sometime in the June-July time frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post
    Actually, I've been more of a lurker than a poster on this board, but I'd like a chance to meet everyone.

When would the final date likely be set? I'd like to make it. If not, is there likely to be another get together sometime in the June-July time frame?
    This is a really good question. I know that last year there was an ATV meet up and there was also a summer BBQ, I think.

Thanks for responding and just not lurking on topics like this. It's always helpful to know who is even considering coming to an event like this because sometimes we don't know who or what to expect and we definitely wouldn't want someone to be left behind.

It would be hard to get out to do the float for the dates that most people voted on because our kids don't get out of school until the week after. That means that we'd have to make the suicide trip, float, and drive immediately back that Sunday and get the kids ready for their last week of school. Who knows. (shrugs) Anything is possible.
    Lurker.

Default when?

The frist date is only a dozen weeks from now; when will when-date be decided?

In some of the other posts there is talk about doing one (Matanuska perhaps) in May, and a second (Gulkana) after the ice goes out on Paxon Lake in early June. Doing two might be better. Not only does it include people who are booked up on one weekend and not the other, but it might thin the crowd a bit too. And then there are addicts like me who are usually up for a couple trips back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    In some of the other posts there is talk about doing one (Matanuska perhaps) in May, and a second (Gulkana) after the ice goes out on Paxon Lake in early June. Doing two might be better. Not only does it include people who are booked up on one weekend and not the other, but it might thin the crowd a bit too. And then there are addicts like me who are usually up for a couple trips back to back.
    Probably want to avoid the Gulkanna the first week in June

has the date to this event been decided? we would like to go.

Default Is this thing still alive?

Has the date been nailed down yet on this? Is the trip still a go?

I don't know if anyone's doing any organizing, and I know organization is not my strong suit, but as it stands now I have May 16-18 marked off in my calendar. I plan on being at the Matanuska put-in (probably the bridge below Glacier View) on that Saturday morning. If anyone else wants to do more than just the weekend, I'm planing on adding in the following Monday.

From the poll it looks like the dates are pretty well set, and last I looked the Matanuska was the preferred location. It's a pretty easy river to run if you don't let your mind wander too much, and there are large camping areas available. But I'm still open to changes in plans.

I do think there should be some planning done though. Suitable toilets for one. I would guess people would be on their own for meals, & other camping requirements. It might be nice to arrange some common areas for cooking though. We also need to talk about boat shuttles and parking areas. We should also discuss the option and timing for running Lion's Head (a few miles above Glacier View). It might be good to have a get together prior to the trip for anyone interested in the planning process.

Default Alive and kicking-

Just a note to say that yes, this event is still alive!

I had a pretty serious shoulder surgery in January and am not sure how useful I will be on the oars by then, but I have three boats available; an 18' AIRE Super Leopard (probably four or five passengers), an 18' AIRE Leopard (three or four people), and a 12' NRS Otter self-bailer (no more than 2 people). All would be suitable for the Lion's Head portion, or could be launched below. I will trailer the two cats, stacked, and the Otter will be inflated too, and in the back of the pickup. So setup time at the river will be minimal.

I've approached a couple of people to help organize this. If you are interested in helping with logistics, let me know via PM.

Looks like that mid-May date is the most popular, and the location will be the Matanuska River. We've got large gravel bars there, and plenty of firewood, so a big group camp would work for the overnighters.

Stay tuned, there will be more info to follow.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Group planning? Add as necessary

What: AOD Raft Trip
    When: May 16-17
    Where: Matanuska River

Alright, This year's annual AOD float will not be planned as well as last year because it all fell apart in the end anyway.

Disclaimer:
    There is risk involved in this type of activity, and it has caused concern that there might be liability involved. This is a private trip and NO ONE will be held responsible for your safety but yourself! No liability insurance is provided, and no organizations are sanctioning this event, you are coming on this trip at your own risk. There is a lot of experience on this trip, and I don’t foresee any problems, but if for any reason an incident, injury or death should occur NO PERSON, GROUP or ORGANIZATION WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!

Personal Gear: This is a list of personal gear that will keep you warm, comfortable, and dry on the trip. I recommend bringing your gear in your own marked dry bag (can be bought relatively cheap at wal-mart, rei, ect.) this will eliminate confusion and lost items, as well as make the take out process a bit easier.
    Day Trippers: Sun glasses, Rain gear, warm clothing, and shoes that can get wet riding on the raft, strap on sandals, neoprene boots, or an old pair of tennis shoes are all good. >FLIP FLOPS ARE BAD FOOTWEAR< Bring an extra pair of warm dry clothes and shoes for the takeout/ride home I recommend having these in a dry bag on the boat in case of the unforeseen ejection from the boat.
    Overnighters: Same as above + tent, adequate sleeping bag/mat, camp chairs. I recommend a small low profile tents as the winds can kick up and they tend to destroy those luxury two room backyard colemans.
    Some recommendations: Good raingear is always a good idea, rubber is the best for sitting in rain all day, fabric is much more comfortable and adequate. Cotton is not king, it is a recipe for disaster if you get wet. Bring comfortable clothing, and I highly recommend fleece/wool for warm gear.
    Boat Owners: Bring what you have, you will probably see every type of outfitting and safety gear available.

Put In #1 Lions Head: 10 AM (That's when we FLOAT, Not show up) (someone needs to fill in the blank here)

Put In #2 Lower Section: (Same direction as above)

Lunch on random sandbar (same as last year, own food in tupperware/ect. Easy lunch.

Alcohol will be on this years trip (at least in my boat)

Camp: On random sandbar

Cookout: I have a charcoal grill that I can bring, not huge, but sufficient for 5 pieces of meat or so. (ADD YOURS HERE)

Crapper Shack and bucket - Max at Alaska Canoe had a nice one, maybe he will bring it again this year, I still have chemical, waste bags and luggable loo

Breakfast: Costco pack quaker oatmeal? (I'm lazy)

Lunch: Same as first, probably at takeout

It's a start. Let's see where it goes.

Chris

Sounds good Chris. Some comments:

Put In #1 Lions Head: 10 AM (That's when we FLOAT, Not show up)
    This is early, but probably the best choice considering. This put in is just past the Caribou Creek bridge at mile 107. Cross the bridge and turn left. There is a fairly large parking lot, with an absolutely horrid access to the river. If we start floating at 10am most of us will need to be setting up boats by 8am, with other people running shuttle at the same time. If you're planning on doing this section, consider dropping off some of your heavy/bulky camping stuff at put in #2.

This is a full 2.5 hour drive from Anchorage, unless they are still ripping up the road around Hicks Creek. Then add 30 minutes. I'm thinking I might just camp out at Caribou Creek the night before. If others joined me, and we got an early start, this could reduce the confusion later.

Put In #2 Lower Section:
    Just below Long Rifle Lodge at mile 101. Don't use the Glacier View access road. There is no available parking there. Go another 100-200 yards back towards Anchorage and find the the access to the second bridge. Parking is pretty good, and the river access is easy.

The water will be low, so plan on the Lion's Head group being there by noon, and relaunching shortly thereafter. You should to have your boat loaded and in the water by 12:30. There is always some initial confusion with large groups, so you will need to allow for extra time. The drive is still 2.5 hours from Anchorage, so plan accordingly.

Cookout: I have a charcoal grill that I can bring, not huge, but sufficient for 5 pieces of meat or so.

I'll bring a couple propane blasters (65k & 150k btu) to heat large pots fast. Others have these as well. We could do a pot-luck dinner for those interested, or even a put-luck stew. I like those.

The blasters will also heat cleanup water quickly for anyone washing their dishes. A couple tarps for the camping/cooking area might be nice as well. I'll bring one. Oars make good poles. I'm also bringing a couple folding tables, but more would be useful.

Crapper Shack and bucket - Max at Alaska Canoe had a nice one, maybe he will bring it again this year, I still have chemical, waste bags and luggable loo.

Since most of these gravel bars are very large and free of trees or other privacy screens, and I'm sure we will have both genders on this trip, might we consider building a couple tarp screened areas? May not matter, depending on location of camp area.

I'm wondering how far we'll get, and where we might want to take out. This could vary greatly depending on water level, so we might want to delay planning an area until the day before launching. Still it would be good to have a few options in mind. The area in back of King Mt Lodge works well. That's about an hour after the Chickaloon River confluence, which might also work as I've seen vehicles down there. King River confluence is another, but is a few more hours downstream. After that there is a private church campground just past the downstream end of Sutton. I talked to them last year, and they said they were open to it being used. I'm not aware of anything between Hicks Creek and Chickallon though, and if the water is very slow it might take a long second day to get that far. Anyone have more ideas? The take out needs parking and a river access.

Default It's on..

Sounds good. I'll see you at caribou creek.

Post class there too

I just saw where the Knik Canoers and Kayaker's club Beginning Raft Class's final class is listed as: May 16-17, Saturday & Sunday, Matanuska River

Click here for the complete announcement from them.

I wonder how many students they'll have there on those days?

Default Cool..

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I just saw where the Knik Canoers and Kayaker's club Beginning Raft Class's final class is listed as: May 16-17, Saturday & Sunday, Matanuska River

Click here for the complete announcement from them.

I wonder how many students they'll have there on those days?

Lets all show up wasted and start a water fight.. YEEE HAW, the gun toten' moose shootin' bunny killin' rednecks are going down a river!!!
    Sorry, had to get that out of my system..

Chris

On a side not, I could just get a hold of Erik and ask him how many are going, he wanted to go with us last year but couldn't make it.

Default their class's training for... INCOMING!!!!

Hey they're in class. Do you suppose that they need any help knowing what to do when there's...... INCOMING!!!!!!! I'm ashamed just thinking this...

Unless they change their usual routine, KCK will start behind King Mt Lodge, and paddle down to the mouth of Kings River. They do the same route both days, and camp near the river behind the lodge. This is right across the road from Nova. But I think this is Eric's first year as lead instructor, so it is remotely possible that he will mix it up this time.

I had thought that this would be a good take out point, but I'm not sure there will be enough parking around there for both groups. There is quite a bit of space back there though, and about half of their class usually only does the Saturday portion.

After the snow clears out, we should scout the Chickaloon access to see if that would work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast