78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kenai River

22 28.21%
  • Matanuska River

36 46.15%
  • Gulkana River

20 25.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ODD Spring Float- Location Poll!

Default ODD Spring Float- Location Poll!

Okay, thanks for opening the discussion on the spring float, Moose! A poll was suggested, so here it is. Let's do two polls; this one is on the location, and the next one is on dates. Sounds like the two options are the Matanuska and the Kenai. I'll toss in the Gulkana just for fun, but it might split the ticket :-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Allways wanted to do the matanuska, I missed last years float trip would not like to miss another!

P.S. I don't own a raft, but do have funds for good food and I'm a great shore lunch cooker.

Last years float was a blast. A beautiful day on the water. Met alot of memebers and enjoyed putting the boat in the water and looking at the variety of different rafts out there. Looking forward to next years all ready
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default It looks like it's time for some muscle.

Not that I would try to influence anyone's vote, but just remember that big brother Obama is watching and I'm pretty sure he wants us to float the Gulkana! Don't make me call out the new not-so-secret police!

I guess I'd probably be o.k. with the Matanuska too. This should be fun.

matanuska sounds great, i have been looking forward to lions head for a while, it will be nice to get out there as a group and play this river.

Default Matanuska

Don't know that my vote should count at all, since I voted and never showed last year.. but I'll try to be there this year if the dates are good...

Maybe I can hitch a ride with Blue Mooose?

B

Wink How about the Kobuk!

Come on you guys! What about us who like in the back woods/tundra of the state? I want to toss in the Kobuk River as a 4th option. Now that would be a raft trip! Let’s put in at Kobuk Village and pull out at Ambler Village. Sweet!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.northwestlaska.com

Default Howdy!!

Not sure my schedule so I haven't voted a date yet. I would recommend to whomever plans this thing that they do it more loosely than I tried to last year, it will be much easier and it won't be as time consuming. (Example: Anyone who wants to come, show up here, at this time. If you don't have a boat you may not get a ride, but it may be worth showing up anyway as there might be some space.) I hope everyone had fun last year, and I know a few things that were planned didn't happen, but it was still a blast. If I can make the dates I will bring two inflatable kayaks and I'll run my hardshell. I might have a new cat or round boat by then as well, but not too sure.

Chris

Default I'd be down for the Kenai

I'd love to make it this year, as I got a boat finally, didnt have one in time last year. A buddy of mine would also probably want to come if we could both get time off of work. It would be two single cats. Gulkana is too far, and i don't know much about the matsu river.

Default Shore Lunch

Where ever we go this year.. I would be nice to do a potluck lunch.
    Last year we stopped for a while on the shore to have a snack, but it would be nice to take some extra time a few hours into the float to stop and really get to know each other.
    I just did not get to meet everyone last year.. The few of us that went on down the Kenai canyon and camped was really nice, and I was able to visit with those good folks,but the ones that headed out from Jims Landing I did not get any quality visits with..
    Chris Stout and Mike S. did a great job getting it all going last year.. I know it was a bit of work on your parts..
    any way.. if I can help..let me know..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I'd like to bum a ride and get some oar time. I haven't rowed in 20 years and I'm looking to buy a raft this year. I'll bring food, gear, whatever we need to make this a fun time..just don't have a raft yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Fun Fun

I do not wish to open a can of worms but there might be an option for the big fling and yes Sbiinc or anyone else who needs a ride and boat to what ever location I will have some room. F350 with two rows of seats with a couple of boats in tow so I can hold a couple.

If anyone is in dire need of camping gear to getter done just PM me I will loan fro the trip no strings :-)

After we get the ODD trip done hoepfully around the 16th of May and someone did not make it and wishes to float the Gulkana we can work out something after Mem. Weekend for those who just could not make the original.

Walt would love to head in your direction but you have to promise 40 lbs shee's.

Blue Moose.

Mike thanks for taking this on.

Default Whens the poll for the dates?

Whens the poll for the dates?

Default Looks like it might be the Matanuska. Lion head?

I heard someone mention the possibility of floating the section of rapids known as "Lion Head" on this trip. Just how gnarly is that stretch of water? I have floated the Kenai many times, but that's the extent of my experience. Should I consider trying lion head on the ODD float this spring, when I can follow some experts through, or should I just plan to join the group down below?

I'm in if my little one comes a week early. I guess I'll have to be tentative at this point. Wife's due date for #2 is May 16.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default My vote

I would like to try the Matanuska depending on the dates. I have always wanted to do this one.

Quick question. I have my cat as most of you know. I can row it with no issues over any of the white water on the kenai. I have never floated the Mat. As long as someone is showing the line do you think i would have any issues.

Thanks chuck

Most of the Matanuska is just a swift class I with occasional class II stretches. There is also at least one short class III section at Nova Bend, but at normal water levels everything below Lions Head is quite easy to run. If one starts this trip below Lion's Head and in May, when the water is almost always low, there will hardly be any white water to deal with. In fact, you can probably downgrade Nova Bend to class II. Especially of you stay left if you see any rocks.

If for some strange reason the water is high in May we ought to change to a the Kenai of Gulkana. But with the rare exception of a massive three day deluge, the only thing raising the Mat is a long series of hot days. Usually the water doesn't come up until mid July.

For anyone wanting more excitement they can be a part of the group that starts above Lions Head. It's variously rated as class III or IV, depending on the water level. In May, it will be class III at most with a little rock dodging. Also depending on water level, this section usually takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours. Figure on 3 hours for a May trip. People that prefer not to do Lions Head can just start at Glacier View Bridge a little later in the day.

I don't consider the Matanuska to be a classic Alaskan adventure. It's too close to the road, has too much braided sections for my taste, and not enough tree filled wilderness. But it's advantages are that it is close to Anchorage, has large open areas to camp groups in, and is road accessible in several places which will allow people to cut their trip short or extend it as desired. People can also join a day late if they want.

I think the Mat is a good choice for the reasons listed above, but it's just one option, and I'm not stuck on it.

Default Classifying Lion's head.

I'm like Chuck, I am totally confident with the Upper Kenai and I plan to try the canyon this summer (as soon as I figure -out a motor mount for my Aire frame). I recently picked-up a copy of Karen Jettmar's The Alaska River Guide and I was surprised to read that she classifies the small set of haystacks at what she calls "Schooner bend" (the corner just below the bridge, a mile or two above the Russian confluence) as class 3 and the section she calls "fisherman's bend" (must be what Chuck calls Princess Chute) as a class 2. That bend above the Russian can be a little tricky, but I would consider both of these areas as "playgrounds" with both my round boat and my personal pontoon. Of course, I have read about river classifications, but with the Kenai as my only frame of reference, it's hard to visualize what to expect from certain classes of river just from other people's descriptions. From everything I've read, I think I'd be alright with Lion's Head, but I also don't want to get in over my head (especially in May, that could be cold!)

So I have two questions for you Jim:

First, what do you think of Jettmar's classifications of these small rapids on the Kenai? (I know water levels can change things dramatically, but over all)

Secondly, how does Lion's head compare to these, according to Jettmar's classifications?

Thanks in advance

Schooner bend wow I always wondered what the real name was. We always just called it the russian River corner as the road to the campground is just above the corner.

Fishermans bend. Interesting. I have heard it called princess rapids and we call it princess chute. Nice to know the real names. Im leaning on doing lions head for sure. Ill make the decision on where to start a few days before as i get a water report. The princess rapids are nothing to us anymore and schooner bend it like a fun amusement park ride. We just need somthing Like a T bar on the other side so after you run it you can get towed back up and do it again over and over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast