Thread: how foods to keep on hand for a single person

Default how foods to keep on hand for a single person

how much food do your need to keep on hand for a single person in just in case typle list for bad weather typle-x- extras heavy snow fall -or -ice storms etc
    and what are the food typle for qiuck meals list ..
    how many days should you have in place -x-7-day or-21-days or-45.cays etc
    i will be moveing up there in may of next year what are the typle of foods that i need to stock up on before the end of summer to have in the pantry for back up use only
    thanks for any info that given to me

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Henry about a week of food in the house is good just in case you don't want to go to the store...

Alaska is NOT the lower 48...

we don't get stuck cause it snowed. or rained or iced... schools only close if the heat and water is off. we may slow for a few hours until the DOT gets rolling.. but we never stop....at least not in my 40 years....been a good many years since i pushed snow with my bumper through Chulitna.... good highway budgets and equipment....

For instance I worked for DOT in Valdez.. this place averages 30-50 FEET of snow per winter. it snows over a foot an hour when it is getting it...we never had more then a foot on the road....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Allot of that depends on where you live to Henry, Folks in Cantwell or Trapers creek need to be a little more food cache concerned than say folks in Anchorage. Are you going to be on or off the road system? how far from nearest town? ECT

I keep a week of caned and dry goods and a camp stove in a secure location for me and the family. We have a stream on the property so water isn't a big deal for us. Weather doesn't stop us but a earthquake sure can! And as recently as 2 years ago lots of folks found themselves cut off due to flooding. More so than anywhere else you need to prepare for the worst up here. I've left for hunts with weather in the 60's and woke with 6 inches of new snow on the ground in the AM. We had more than one 40 degree drop in temp in under 24 hours last winter.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

right now i have about a year and half supply on hand with cans of diff meats and vegs and drink mixs and other things along with no-10-sized cans items in case lots mixed into the supply ...along with extras other items in small lots items like bath soap and shaveing soap and hair shampoo bars along with razor blades and toothpaste and denture cleaning tabs and other items ..plus medical items and medical herbs and misc items as need ...
    with ammo and extras bottles of mp-7- clp oil and other weapon cleaning items as need for the rifle and pistol units with spare parts kits for the rifle and pistol items as need for the weapons as need for more of a safety blanket than anything else ..
    we do get super cold weather here in the upper panhandle of texas area
    with a lot of winter time storms happening with frezzeing rain and snow and ice on the rounds ..
    i keep in my truck a small bag filled with mres meals with extras items along with blankets and heating items for use if the truck goes off the road intill the wrecker or someone comes by

Thumbs up Interesting and funny!

You sound very well prepared! I only know of a few people up here who are as prepared as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    And for the humor in it...as I was reading, I was thinking "this guy has got to be from Texas"...sure enough
    My brother lives in Houston and while he is not that well aided, he probably has as much on hand as I (or more) due to the possibility of hurricane lock ins.

i was born and rasied around coupus christi tx a place called sinton tx area ..i i learned to keep food and other supplies on hand for those special times that we have down there on the coast ..
    i am packing my shipping pod right now with all the supplies from the basement today to shipp up there when i move and have all ready to go when i get there ..
    packing up my books and movies and reloading and guns for the shipment up there by pod contarier system
    i have foregtten about some of the items that i found when packing up

with a lot of winter time storms happening with frezzeing rain and snow and ice on the rounds ..
    ROTFLMAO

Your well preped thats for sure but man you have no idea what cold is! I've seen what you guys call really bad winter weather and we get that in June! I cant wait to read your post when you've had your first week of -20 or colder! BTW where you planning on living? Dont tell me.......cold foot!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

how much food do your need to keep on hand for a single person in just in case typle list for bad weather typle-x- extras heavy snow fall -or -ice storms etc
    and what are the food typle for qiuck meals list ..
    how many days should you have in place -x-7-day or-21-days or-45.cays etc
    i will be moveing up there in may of next year what are the typle of foods that i need to stock up on before the end of summer to have in the pantry for back up use only
    thanks for any info that given to me
    Don't worry too much about it.... depends where your going to live.
    I have about 10 cases of mountain house if I run out of food in the freezers (about 700 lbs of halibut and salmon, 1 moose and 1 caribou) and pantry..... Then if all else fails I have a nice sized Beagle
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

i was in alaska in 1978 from late jan to may time frame ..i was taken off a mac flight for both my ear drums had started to bleed ..so they set the plane down in anchorage and they took me off and saight into the er for
    to see what was wrong with my ears ..so the doctor said i could not fly intill the my eardrums returned to normal ..so i had a light duty for a couple months time then i work diff m.p duties then rest of the time i worked diff gates and partols around the base .
    i stayed up there when intill i could fly agian then i went onto korea for the rest of my tour there ..then i went back to germany for another 8.years as mp intill i went back to the states ,.intil i got into a bad car wreck after the first gulf war ..
    i started to think about moveing up there when i found some old pictures of my time up there .after retire here in feb ..
    i have been all over the states for job ..so i have been in cold weather a lot ..
    plus i make you guys a bet that the weather in panhandle of texas .is just as cold some days as the weather up there ..with the wind and rain and snow blowing across the plains with nothing to stop the it ..

4 years in N. Texas and it is a fairly unique kind of brutal weather there. I walked out one morning to get in my car and found it had 6" of ice built up on the windward side. I am talking so much ice that the car was leaning! I had to climb in the leward side to start it. I warmed it up untill I could roll the windows down and took a hammer and broke the ice out from the inside. I have never seen an ice storm up here to compare to what we got in Texas. Did I mention I hated N Texas! Supercells, Tornados, Hail, Freezing rain, 115* temps. There is no good time of the year there! Alaska is a wilder place and we have MUCH longer periods of sustained cold weather but there are some pretty brutal storm systems that run through henry2's neck of the woods.

Hey Henry,

Hit your local military surplus store up in Texas and buy your bunny boots there. They'll be much cheaper than they are here. I'd get some bunny's and some mickey's.

When I was stationed in Texas and would come up TDY to Alaska, I'd bring bag of bunny boots up for my buddies in Alaska because they were so cheap in Texas.

Good luck with your move.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    4 years in N. Texas and it is a fairly unique kind of brutal weather there. I walked out one morning to get in my car and found it had 6" of ice built up on the windward side. I am talking so much ice that the car was leaning! I had to climb in the leward side to start it. I warmed it up untill I could roll the windows down and took a hammer and broke the ice out from the inside. I have never seen an ice storm up here to compare to what we got in Texas. Did I mention I hated N Texas! Supercells, Tornados, Hail, Freezing rain, 115* temps. There is no good time of the year there! Alaska is a wilder place and we have MUCH longer periods of sustained cold weather but there are some pretty brutal storm systems that run through henry2's neck of the woods.
    We RON'd at Sheppard AFB* on a TDY and ended up in the BEQ on base. A supercell came through with so much force that it blew rain water between the weather stripping and the metal entrance door to my BEQ room. I ended up with about a 1/2" of water in the room in the short time it took the storm to pass. It seemed more like a hurricane with the water blowing around the door than it did a thunder storm.

* To this day I'm still trying to figure out why we choose Sheppard to RON at.

they say that iam bull-ss---t them when i tell that the first night on duty with police dept it was raining so hard that there was a look like a wave of water just going down the street that night ...that how bad the wind and the rain mixed into the one ..i had stop behind a building to get out the wind and rain and i sit there for over hour before i could move again ..with out being shoved all over the road that night..but i do have to say that this winter is going to be very funny cause i got up the other day and its was 75..dregrees when i got up in the afternoon and i went to work at 9.pm it was down to 45.dregrees with the wind and rain showers in the area starting about midnight..right now i am out in the bay area for court case that i have to deal with ..can not wait to get back home to texas where poeple are normal ..and complete the packing up of the cabin so to get ready to make my move..
    can some get me a list of typles of cold weather clothing iam going to need ..and pm with the list when they can

I have to back Henry up just a little. I grew up just south of Amarillo and we had some pretty extreme weather year round.

I have seen it snow 3-4 feet overnight several times, although it would be melted with no trace within 3 or 4 days.

I have also been through the ice storms LuJon spoke of. Had one knock out the power for 4 days. We were on a water system pressurized by water towers that used zero electricity so no big deal. Well every one panicked and started filling up water bottles and bathtubs until the system was drained enough we had no water.

I worked at a grocery store at that time and during the panic everyone in town started loading up on groceries. Wiped the whole place out of staple type foods, and this store was as big as any Carrs or Fred Meyer in Anchorage. Oh and they wiped us out of Beer and Wine too.

By the 5th day it was 65 degrees and all was right in the world.

Crazy weather for sure.