Thread: Fly Line

Default Fly Line

Ok, While in Montana I got to try this new line out Shark skin. I will say I was very impressed with it. Loved everything about it except the price. Almost $100 for it. Has anyone else tried this line?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Good Flyline

Never heard of it. Might have to do some research. What did you like about it??

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Sharkskin definitely has it's pros and cons, and it doesn't seem to attract indifferent opinions...you either love it or you hate it.

I like it a lot, but I like it for a very limited window of use. I have the Magnum taper in 7wt' and I fish it off both 10' single and 11' switch rods, both winston bIIx. The specific use that I really dig it for is long-distance indicator drifting, as the texture of the line lends itself to precision mending as well as "running free" when extending the drift. The pickup is also aided by the texturing, but when fishing heavy shot this plus is negated. Some folks feel that it is a better casting line than most, but the real feature there is the line's stiffness, which is a definite plus when reaching out.

One of the bad things about this line is that if you use it in a stripped capacity it will cut the holy hell out of your stripping finger.

This is two days worth of damage, taped, then fished for 2 more days...the line's texture actually cut THROUGH 2 layers of waterproof medical tape.

The price tag is also a bad thing...the only integrated-head one-piece line that costs $100. Normally, if I spend $100+ on a line, I expect a tip-set or something.

At any rate, try it for yourself, A lot of folks think it is a pretty good product.

dang...thats intense at least kept goin. Fish die hard right there
    Last edited by AK Trout; 11-15-2008 at 19:30. Reason: spelling

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Advantages...

supposed to be lower friction casting and higher flotation - due to lower surface in contact wasn't it? The principle makes sense.

If so, the line should seem to cast further - could you tell?
    Should also pickup off the water easier. I wondered about this line.

Default Thanks for the Review!

I was just waiting for a definable review on this line before I tried it. This is right along w/ the type of fishing I am planning on using it for. Thank you G-Smolt!

A buddy and I both used 6 wt. Shark skin lines for a 17 day trip in Sept. fishing for Bows on the Kenai. We both came away very impressed. I had another reel set up with brand new SA Mastery series and there was no comparison to the slickness across the guides. There was one particular day that some nice bows were hugging the bank and I reeled off a bunch of line and coiled it in my hand, pointing the rod directly down stream I dropped the float into the current and it feed so smoothly along the bank the first pass was fish on. I tried this same spot with the Mastery series a few days later and just could not get as smooth a drift without having everything just perfect with the line control. Honestly I thought this line was a waste of money for the Alaska fishing I do but fishing in Oregon is my norm and many locations require greater casting distances so I bought it. I learned it excels for both.

Default Interesting comparison...

of those lines, Airtime.
    Most other quality lines probably similar to SA Mastery series in terms of friction/float characteristics. Thanks for the post.

Only 6 months left til Spring here!

Anybody try the airflow ridgeline in comparison to the sharkskin? I wish the running line wasn't $100 I'd sure like to throw some of my shooting heads on sharkskin...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The running line isn't $100, it's $59.95.

And even though I am a devotee of AirFlo, the sharkskin outperforms and outlasts ridgeline.

Default Sharkskin Flyline

I hear the Sharkskine line tears up the rod guides after a while. Anyone hear different or have any inputs before I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    The running line isn't $100, it's $59.95.

And even though I am a devotee of AirFlo, the sharkskin outperforms and outlasts ridgeline.

Hmmm it was $100 at mt veiw sports, maybe I'll have to get one from Brad when I get back to town... Not gonna need it till the spring anyway, only 4 and half months
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.