Thread: Provide a "How To" for buying guns online?

Default Provide a "How To" for buying guns online?

Okay, all the guns I currently own I've either purchased locally or through a private party sale.

But now gunbroker and auctionarms have my eye. And unfortunately, I'm not a first name basis with any FFL shops or guys - guess I need to start wining and dining?

If anyone can provide a "for dummies" guide for buying online, I would really appreciate it. Mountain View Sports said they charge $50 for receiving an online gun. So do I pay the online guy via credit card, or do I pay my local FFL? Does the local FFL run my background before delivering it to me? What about Class III/NFA firearms online?

Thanks in advance!

i just did this myself and am awaiting my pistol.

bought a pistol on gunbroker.com. went to boondocks in eagle river and had them fax a copy of their FFL and info to this place in Vermont. called them this morning and paid for the pistol. be aware that you may pay around a 3% fee for credit card use, or else use money order. they will ship the gun to boondocks. I have to call boondocks and check if it has arrived, they will not call me for some reason. i pay them $50 for the transfer. to be honest i don't know about the background gun purchase paperwork for these transactions.

also i do not know how other guns like AR-15s are dealt with, etc. i imagine the same way, as long as the FFL is licensed to handle that class of guns.

it's pretty easy i think

If you're in the valley Frontier Pawn in Wasilla will do an FFL transfer for 20.00.

I have had three successful purchases with Gunbroker. Two were from businesses and and one from a private party.

You basically find a local FFL license holder willing to do a transfer. They FAX there FFL info to the seller and after you pay the seller the gun is shipped. You go to the transfer dealer and fill out the applicable paperwork and Voila you have a new gun.

One word of caution though it is very contaigious and a habit may develop raipidly LOL!!! I have bought a Ruger M77 All-weather MkII in .350 Remington Magnum, a Weatherby Vanguard SS Laminate in .257 Weatherby and a Weatherby Mark V in .340 Weatherby in the past year...now I am up to eyeballs in reloading and shooting.

Great info guys - Thanks!! I'm looking to stock up on AR stuff from online, but these days, I'm looking at $500+ for a lower and $1-2,000 for a well equipped gun (scope, bells and whistles, etc).

Contact this guy:

mizzoumule@gci.net

His phone number is 349 6689 and his first name is Dennis. He charges a flat $10 fee to do the transfer if you do all the leg work. He works out of his home in south Anchorage.

I have used him about a dozen times this year and he is super easy to deal with. You gain nothing by paying another dealer more money. Tell him Randy sent you
    Tennessee

Thanks Randy! I just found him on gunbroker too, but I'm glad to have a reference!

Another option if you want to go through a local dealer is Alaska Custom Firearms. I believe they only cost $10-20 for the transfer fee and they did a good job the last time I used them.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!