Thread: DM406 success!

Smile DM406 success!

I was beginning to wonder if this cow permit thing was going to be the death of me! Finally, last night after work I completed the harvest. Bagged a nice 3-4 year old cow. The freezer will now be officially full this weekend. (And yes Allen and MT, I salvaged (transported) ALL the meat and it will be "processed for human consumption" on saturday ).....)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Saturday????? Your not going to let it hang for a few days?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'd like to know a little more about hanging meat. I've never done it...I always cut up and package the meat within a day or two of taking an animal. I don't have any place to hang it that's very cold. My garage is probably 60 degrees most of the time...is that not too warm? Also, is the meat really that much better after hanging, or is it a small difference?

Congrats on the moose, Mud. I'll probably be helping my father fill his cow tag this weekend. Perhaps some of that luck will come our way.

-Brian

Congrats Mud!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default meat hanging

Temps should be below 40 degrees F for hanging meat. Out at the cabin, I used to hang the meat on a crosspole, spray the meat with vinegar and rub pepper all over it. This kept any bugs off of it and sealed the meat. Worked great. When the weather got below freezing, well, better yet. Just used to take theSwede saw and cut off what we needed, then canned anything left when winter was done.

Now, I see howling yotes in our future.