Thread: Finger Lake trout

Default Finger Lake trout

My son caught this trout last sunday at finger lake while we were trolling a wedding ring behind some flashers and we were very excited. It is definetely his biggest trout and tops mine as well. I have heard of bigger ones coming out of this lake but this was 20 inches and I was wondering if anyone out there had any insight as to the fish they stock in there. Does fish and game stock the lake with these already bigger trout? Or is this a small trout that just grew this big overtime? The reader board at the lake says it is stocked with Rainbow trout/Steelhead but this confuses me since I know steelhead run to the ocean and back but obviously they wouldn't from finger lake so how can they be called steelhead? Would this fish technically be called a steelhead or just a large trout? If you have any info I would appreciate it but nevertheless it put up a good fight and put a smile on both of our faces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by OIF Vet View Post
    My son caught this trout last sunday at finger lake while we were trolling a wedding ring behind some flashers and we were very excited. It is definetely his biggest trout and tops mine as well. I have heard of bigger ones coming out of this lake but this was 20 inches and I was wondering if anyone out there had any insight as to the fish they stock in there. Does fish and game stock the lake with these already bigger trout? Or is this a small trout that just grew this big overtime? The reader board at the lake says it is stocked with Rainbow trout/Steelhead but this confuses me since I know steelhead run to the ocean and back but obviously they wouldn't from finger lake so how can they be called steelhead? Would this fish technically be called a steelhead or just a large trout? If you have any info I would appreciate it but nevertheless it put up a good fight and put a smile on both of our faces.
    I'd rather see that picture than any grownup with a 50 pound king any day. That's one happy kid.
    Some states stock "steelhead" (that have returned from the ocean, up a river and back into the hatcheries) in lakes, but as far as I know Alaska has no steelhead hatcheries, (only wild steelhead runs), at least not in southcentral or the kenai peninsula, or the valley. This is a stocked rainbow, probably a brood trout stocked this size. Finger lake gets fished pretty heavily all year including the winter, so it's probably not a "holdover" trout. That's a happy kid though and a picture to save forever.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

That is a nice trout for Finger Lake. Here is a complete list of what was stocked in Finger Lake as of about 98' http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/Hatchery/Stocking
    You can take a look at it but it appears that the largest rainbows were 9.3" back in 03'. They have however put some nice dollies in there up to 26". Here is a picture of one my son got early this year there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well for some reason I can't get the link to work but you can find it if you go to www.state.ak.us and go to fish and game, then sportfish, stocking information etc. There is a list for all the lakes that are stocked.

Default Rainbow & Steelhead

ADF&G always ends up just grouping both rainbows & steelhead together. I think they do this just to remove any potential questions or doubts.

But I pretty sure they only use rainbows for stocking. The returns on native steelhead are so small that I don't think they would want to remove any for stocking.

They used to stock the Kasilof with Steelhead, but they stopped when they thought they were geeting some into the Kenai River.

Default big trout

there are plenty of lakes in the valley that have plentiful 20" trout. They are alot more rare than the fingerlings but certainly not unheard of.
    I know of at least 4 lakes local in wasilla that I've personally caught at least 5 18+" rainbows. Now the rivers are where the big ones are.
    Sorry if this sounds like a bragging post. That is not intended, but if someone wants to fish for large bows drop me a PM.
    Justin

Default I heard.....

they stock some bigger fish there

My son caught one 24" on a snoopy rod back in about 91 or 92

we were just anchoring up and my older son who was 9ish caught 2 trout while I was trying to fix up the younger kid (3ish)

I told his big brother that the next fish he hooked his brother got to reel in.......

so the rod goes down and I said let him reel it in.....

he dutifully handed over the pole and this 2 foot trout comes rocketing out of the water.......

I CALMLY (yeah right).......gave fish fighting instructions and I'll be ****ed if we didn't bring that thing to net

I've never mounted a fish but I wish I would have mounted that one!!

of all the BIG fish I've caught THATS the one I'll remember most.......

lot of close seconds though *lol*

make sure you put those pictures in a safe place is all I've got to say!!