Thread: 375 Ruger problems

Cool 375 Ruger problems

I have reloaded a batch of 230 gr barns tx for my 375., all just according to receipe. I ran them all through the action before using for hunting. They all worked fine (very effective on deer), the problem came when I took about 50 of them out to the range for practice . After about 30 shots , they started jamming. I could barely fit some of them into the chamber and some flat out would not chamber.. Has anybody encounted this problem?? Could this be due to fouling of the action or what, I wonder? I hate to think of that happening on a hunt!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've never worked with the .375 Ruger, but have been seriously thinking about buying the Alaska Model, so this dilema is interesting. My first thought was that the barrel was getting ever hotter, cooking a maximum load to overdrive. But I nixed that thought, figuring you weren't doing a 30 roud burst of rapid fire.

Then I wondered about a very sub-maximum load that didn't expand the case to seal out dirty gas back-flow. How "chared" and dirty was the brass after you fired it? How did the rifle act after a good cleaning? It could be a rare, but possible, case of excessive neck and chamber fouling. Curious, but just a thought. So, here's another:

Barnes are soft copper alloy. They are critically picky about seating distance from the rifling. If they are seated too far back (or too far forward), and your throat/lead is rough, you could be "peeling" a bunch copper fouling. Maybe a combo of two, maybe none of these things. See if it happens with a guilding metal jacket with a heavier bullet. I never had much luck with bullets lighter than 260gr in the H&H either. On the other hand, I've never fired close to 30 rounds on a trip, but a small cleaning kit might be a sound thought. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Sounds like a dirty chamber or fouled bolt face.

I by the way have a Ruger .375 Alaskan and love it. To date I have worked up loads with Barnes 235, 270, 300, Nosler 260, 300 and Sierra 300. The Barnes 235 was the worst round loaded for accuracy in my rifle. My guess is it is to short for such a fat projectile.

I've heard of guys crimping their rounds and expanding the shoulder causing them to not chamber. You said that you test each one prior to the range so it leads my to believe that you need to clean your rifle.

Good luck, keep us posted...

the .375 ruger has a brisk recoil...it may be that your bullets simply "jumped crimp" causing an overall length problem that wouldn't allow your cartridges to chamber. of course this would only include those rounds in the magazine.

some bullet brands (barnes for one) are long for their weight, and can raise pressures for that reason alone. check your brass and loaded cartridges to make sure they are in oal specs.

happy trails.
    jh

Old Yeller,

Could it be as simple as a compressed powder charge pushing the bullets partway out? That could make 'em too long to chamber without reefing on the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    the .375 ruger has a brisk recoil...it may be that your bullets simply "jumped crimp" causing an overall length problem that wouldn't allow your cartridges to chamber. of course this would only include those rounds in the magazine.

some bullet brands (barnes for one) are long for their weight, and can raise pressures for that reason alone. check your brass and loaded cartridges to make sure they are in oal specs.

happy trails.
    jh
    The .375 Ruger will chamber in lengths that are longer than the magazine box will allow with the pointy Barnes bullets. Even if they jump in the mag box they will chamber as long as they come up out of the box and engage the bolt.

I have loaded Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubond, both are pointy... When trying to set them up close to the rifling they will not fit in the mag box but will still chamber when loaded one at a time. Since this is a hunting rifle and not a bench rifle I finally settled on 3.340 COL max and tweaked down from there.
    Last edited by marshall; 11-21-2008 at 01:15. Reason: typo