Thread: living in the cold

Default living in the cold

Hey all, over the course of the next 5 years I will be spending my summers in the interior building a remote cabin. I intend on using the trees on the property and building everything from what is around (almost like proenneke style) so I don't have to bring much in. After the 5 years, hoping to god that the cabin is done, I want to start living there year round. I had a great oppurtunity to pick up 5 acres and my dream since I could remember was to build a cabin next to a lake and live the way I want to. Right now I feel like all I am doing is working just so I can pay the rent and buy enough food till next payday... thats not living to me. Living remotely and having to hunt and work the land is more the life I feel I need and want and I am not waitng till I am retired to do that. I figure over the next 5 years as I build I will learn to live and adapt in interior and eventually make that transition to live full time in the bush. Anyone have any pointers or ideas that works for them and ones that did not as far as lifestyle, building, heat, food, things you can't live without, etc...? I am no stranger to cold weather and am an avid hunter and outdoors man here in the S.E. AK, but I am at no means an expert. I am always learning. Thanks.

Where in the interior are you going.I'm sure you already know about lots of books. If your going by yourself get a mask and a couple of mirrors.You put the mask on the back of your head and set up the mirrors so it looks like your are talking to someone else even if they don't talk back.Take up trapping to kill time.Few pocket knifes for carveing stuff are helpfull also but remember not to carve up the whole firewood pile in one day. Take a dog for company.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sitkabshmn View Post
    Hey all, over the course of the next 5 years I will be spending my summers in the interior building a remote cabin. I intend on using the trees on the property and building everything from what is around (almost like proenneke style) so I don't have to bring much in. After the 5 years, hoping to god that the cabin is done, I want to start living there year round. I had a great oppurtunity to pick up 5 acres and my dream since I could remember was to build a cabin next to a lake and live the way I want to. Right now I feel like all I am doing is working just so I can pay the rent and buy enough food till next payday... thats not living to me. Living remotely and having to hunt and work the land is more the life I feel I need and want and I am not waitng till I am retired to do that. I figure over the next 5 years as I build I will learn to live and adapt in interior and eventually make that transition to live full time in the bush. Anyone have any pointers or ideas that works for them and ones that did not as far as lifestyle, building, heat, food, things you can't live without, etc...? I am no stranger to cold weather and am an avid hunter and outdoors man here in the S.E. AK, but I am at no means an expert. I am always learning. Thanks.
    5 summers to build a "cabin"? are you sure you aren't looking at the blueprints for the whitehouse?

At least he's realistic. If you want to build it by hand and mill the lumber from your own trees, it may very well take that long.

Default yep

My time will be short during the summers, a month at the most at times, so building might take a while. I just dont want to build something and then keep fixing and modifying when it is 20 below, which is why i will live there for the summers and not the dead of winter, yet. And yes I will mill all the lumber from the property. I run an outdoor program for kids during the summers so that is why my time is short. I am using my vacation time to go up and start building in the summers. I figure 5 years is plenty to build it, live in it, figure out things before I make the plunge to live year round up there in the interior. Right now I offered a very good friend of mine and his wife an acre to go up and help build my cabin and then help him with his. Most of the time will be spent building and then some hunting of course. Oh yeah, my dog (part wolf) will love the place. She loves the cold weather as I do too.

How much land did you get, and is it next to public or private land? I always go out and build trails where I can when I'm out there for awhile, gives you a sence of belonging to the place.

I got about 5 acres, it lies between the Dugan hills and the Tanana. I go up this May to fell the trees and let them season. The next summer Ill go up and start the cabin. I am hoping to scout around and make some trails too.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Hey hows it going.. I know a few people that live buy the tanana river.
    Alot of that area has large spuce i would build your cabin with the largest logs you can handle great insulation for the 40 below it gets there..
    Can you drive to it or is it remote.

Yeah, the cold will be a challenge but Im up for it. Your right too, there are a lot of big spruce that will give me good insulation too. Nope can't drive to it... has to be sled in the winters or float plane in the summers. Told there is a well used trail that can be ATV'd but Ill check it out this May.