Thread: Clunky bolt

Default Clunky bolt

For an early christmas present my father-in-law surprised me with a Remington 770 chambered in 300 win mag. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey free gun right?

It turns out that it's a real tack driver for such a cheap gun. I've managed some very nice groups right out of the box, but the bolt is real clunky, and hard to push all the way forward. I've even had to hit the bolt with my hand to close it. Does anybody have an idea as to what the problem might be? I'm no gunsmith, but if I can't quick fix from home then I'll take it to one.

On a side note: Know of any websites where I can find a performance chart for the most common calibers?

For ballistic info try Hornady or Federals website.

Does it close hard with or without a round?

With AND without... cartridge fits fine bolt just doesn't like to close.

Sounds like the locking lugs are too tight. It may break in after use, but it's tough to say over the internet. If it really concerns you I would take it to a gunsmith to be looked at.

I would peer inside the action to see if the front action screw is coming up to far and allowing the bolt to hit it. If it is, remove the screw and shorten it.
    If that is not the case clean the locking lug area of the action and regrease the bolt lugs. If still no help, buy some really fine grit lapping compound and lap in the lugs.
    Tennessee

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It is my understanding that sticky bolts are characteristic of the Remington 770s due to plastic inserts in the receiver.

The 710s had the problem too, but the 770s were sposed to be an update that solved the problem.

????? Were I you, I'd check with Remington.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.