Thread: 1911 safety

Default 1911 safety

my 1911 currently has an ambi safety and I was thinking about changing it to a standard safety. my question is does this change involve any smith work, or can I just swap out parts?
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

You should be able to just swap out the parts unless the frame has been modified in some way.

There is a small amount of fitting to be done, assuming you obtain a new, quality thumb safety. The safety must properly engage and block the sear from moving.

where could I get some instruction on fitting th new safety?
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Two excellent references when working on the 1911 platform are 1911 shop manuals I & II by Jerry Kuhnhausen and the Colt factory model "O" armorer's manual. You might also try a search of the web for fit/install/function check of a safety lock (thumb safety lever).

Default Web resource for fitting a safety

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0601.htm has a bit, but do yourself a favor and order the Kuhnhausen book. I've done a few of them, and it doesn't take long or require super smithing skills, but you do have to pay attention and take small steps. Don't go all crazy with the dremel tool or file - you'll wind up with a ruined part (at best) or an unsafe firearm.

Last word: start with a good part.
    TTFN