Thread: Spring Fling what do you think

Default Spring Fling what do you think

Last year Mike I believe you took the lead on putting something together on the Kenai I know it is early but good planning takes time.

Wanted to know what everone felt about attempting to do a like adventure. It could be a mini boat show and training session all together no commercial sales pitch stuff just a bunch of us getting together on an over night with different rigs.

Would be a Great Way of getting some people out on the water who don't own boats and allow other boat owners a chance to use something a little different.

My schedule is open till 10 June for starters. It can be done on the Kenai or Gulkana either one is a great river with lots of options.

If we agree to do this as a group I will bring a 15ft NRS Otter, and a AIRE 15'6 R series down to either location framed and ready to rock and roll.

Hopefully we can get some SOAR, Sotar and Alaska Series boats in the mix as well with different frame configurations such as boats with Oar Saddles etc, and TM farmes as well as one piece, two piece oar set ups catarats etc....

Might be a good thing to take some film and pics to post at a later date for all to use.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Last year Mike I believe you took the lead on putting something together on the Kenai I know it is early but good planning takes time.

Wanted to know what everone felt about attempting to do a like adventure. It could be a mini boat show and training session all together no commercial sales pitch stuff just a bunch of us getting together on an over night with different rigs.

Would be a Great Way of getting some people out on the water who don't own boats and allow other boat owners a chance to use something a little different.

My schedule is open till 10 June for starters. It can be done on the Kenai or Gulkana either one is a great river with lots of options.

If we agree to do this as a group I will bring a 15ft NRS Otter, and a AIRE 15'6 R series down to either location framed and ready to rock and roll.

Hopefully we can get some SOAR, Sotar and Alaska Series boats in the mix as well with different frame configurations such as boats with Oar Saddles etc, and TM farmes as well as one piece, two piece oar set ups catarats etc....

Might be a good thing to take some film and pics to post at a later date for all to use.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose
    Moose,

Well, I think I got the ball rolling, but Chris Stout really shouldered the load on it. What we discovered was that if the group is over a certain size you have to have a permit. Not an insurmountable obstacle, for sure, but we would need that to do the Kenai.

My preference would be the Kenai because it is close for most of the folks, and it is not a technical river. Spring is best because folks are not yet tied up with their summer stuff.

I would steer clear of making it even a quasi-commercial event. For starters it's a turn-off for most folks that just want to get out on the river and have fun. Better to just have everyone bring what they have and let folks jump in and out of the different boats as we go along. What we found last time is that people tended to stay with the boat they started with. To break that up, you would need some structured activities or something. Also we set it up as an overnighter down to Skilak Lake, but only a handful opted for both days, with mose people bailing out at Jim's Landing.

All in all it's a great idea and I would be interested in coming along. We have lots of good folks here in the rafting forum who would probably come too, and it would be nice to get some folks who are looking for tips on what works and what doesn't. Last time we had several who were looking to purchase or rent and just needed a chance to try a boat out.

I could bring the Super Leopard, a Leopard, and a 12.5' NRS Otter SB.

Anyone out there interested?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Great Points

If the goup is large the permit thing should not be an issue I will put Mike Boy on it he does our Kenai stuff and mroe than likely will have the answer never hurts to ask up front.

Moose-O

Default I am interested...

I am interested; I have a Pro P but not a lot of experience, could always use some more input and training. Plus getting on the Kenai with a few guys who have been there before would be a plus. I would be driving down from Fairbanks with a F-250; if some other folks needed a ride I could help out there as well.

Jim Thaxter

Lightbulb spring float...

Interesting.....
    My suggestion would be the last weekend in May or the first weekend in June.

The last weekend in May, 5/23 and 5/24, is really a three day weekend with 5/25/08 being Memorial Day. Not good for some floaters. Prior to that weekend is prime spot-and-stalk spring bear hunting. Not good for me anyway.

First weekend in June is 6/06 and 6/07. This is prior to the Kenai River opening date for fishing. So that might be a great weekend for the float.

In addition to the Gulkana or Kenai, you might consider the Matanuska downstream from Lionhead, starting at the bridge and ending at King Mt Lodge in Chickaloon (...possible put-in parking probs...but cars are safe in Chickaloon), or ending at the Kings River...(Kings River camp ground take-out might be too long of a float for the intended purpose of the event...)

...could bring super puma, or leapard, or 156D AIRE, each with standard oar-frames.

Just thoughts, somewhat random....

Dennis
    AKTAGS

Default Sounds like fun.

I'd be interested in joining in on this trip as well. I've got the Pac 1400/sd Puma to bring along. My family will probably have to be the priority on Memorial weekend though, so I'd opt for the first weekend in June. I vote for the Gulkana, but only because I have a good amount of experience on the Kenai and I'd like to try something new. I'm pretty new to rafting and this forum, but I'd love to come along.

Scott

Thumbs up

Some advantages to the Matanuska (below Lion's Head) are:

1) 3 miles closer to Anchorage than Jim's Landing.
    2) Some could include Lion's Head if they wanted a bigger splash.
    3) Several take out points could have people floating 1, 2 or 3 days.
    4) No lake to cross to get to the take out.
    5) Plenty of very large camping spots.
    6) It would be a new river for most.
    7) No fishing to distract from serious boating.

It is a little more technical than the Kenai to Jim's landing, but not as technical as Kenai Canyon. KCK does their annual raft class in this section. It's suitable for beginners, but also provides plenty of opportunities for an education.

Either of these options are fine with me, I would just prefer the Mat.

First week of June has my vote.

Cool Jim / Mike

Matsu is an option.

If someone would like to set up a voting option on this thread all could have a simple input and the group would hold the day.

I would however computer / forum issues and moose

I did the kenai trip last year and had a blast. It was fun to put the names with faces and see all the differnt types of gear. We did the kenai last year on the 3rd of may. It was nice sinde the river was closed to fishing and and fun casual float. It was the first time I had ever floated my boat and did not have a fishing rod in it. I had my 2 person cat and found a lady looking for an open seat,. I put her in the boat and she had a blast. She had never floated before and loved the river. It was fun to share the river and some stories with her. I would do another trip again and the Mat Su sounds like fun. Keep me in the loop
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Lightbulb spring fling float...

(another random group float thought)

May/June might not be good for businesses like BlueMoose...just thinking that he may already be doing his thing by then.

Late April is another option....but the Anch Sportsman Show is April ?????, which would interfere with Mikes schedule....

In late April the weather is still cool, and the Mat, for example, is very low-flow. Lionshead has no real whitewater at that time. Its more of a continous rock dodging (occasional rock smashing) exercise. In a prior lifetime I did the Mat from Caribou Creek to Chickaloon a few times to start off the new spring-summer season. This section from below lionshead (the bridge) to Chickaloon was a simply class I/II, moving flat water in Apr. That was a fun two day float. Plenty of wood on the gravel bars for a big evening camp fire.

Single day floaters could stop at Hicks Creek, if there is still highway access there.

(aaah....just more thoughts)

Dennis
    AKTAGS