Thread: Full moon fever pays off!!!

Default Full moon fever pays off!!!

I bagged my first coyote tonight! I'm so stoked, it was only the second night hunt I've done, What a cool experience! Watch out for me on the full moon faze! I'll be out on my sled tootin my calls when the moon is bright!!!
    Last edited by aksnowshoe; 12-10-2008 at 01:24.

Congratulations! Man, predator hunting was all I could think about last night as the moon flooded through my window, but I couldn't get out. Glad to see that someone connected!

Default Congrats!

We need the story! I wanted to get out last night but couldn't as well.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Default The story.......

Both of my calling partners had been out of town for a week, one went to Arizona to watch a stock car race, the other went to Kodiak to do some deer hunting (he got three), and I had to stay home and fix my sister in laws froze up house! It didn't seem fair to me. Any way both of them got back to town yesterday, Matt being of the unmarried type was easily persuaded to go with me on last nights hunt. We were on our second stand just settling in when we heard a critter bark behind where we were set up. I got out my sceery howler and gave a greeting howl. Holy cow! You can really get those dogs to talking with that thing. After I talked dog to them for a few minutes I realized that our stand was totally screwed, we were facing the wrong direction! I got up and snuck the 50 yards over to Matt and told him we were doing it wrong and we needed to move. We stayed low trying to keep our shadows from being to noticable while we moved accross the clearing and got settled in the alders on the other side. Once again settled I gave a few screems with my sceery snow shoe in distress call. About 2 or 3 minutes later I saw 2 shadows come out of the cut bank just behind where I was calling from the first time!! It was a pair of coyotes!! they headed down river kind of angling away from me. Of course my thumper was going nuts by now as I was trying to figure out what to do because I was loosing my shot! I rolled out of my sitting position on to my belly and started low crowling through the alders to the edge of the cut bank trying to keep an eye on them, all the while squeezing my mouse squeeker I had stuffed in between my scope and my barrel of my riffle. The one coyote just stopped and sat down about 150 yards away and looked at me, trying to figure out what the heck was going on over there! BOOM-WWHACK dog down! The other dog was all the way accross the river when I got up and went to see if Matt wanted a shot.(he was totin the 12 guage) We disided that we would not shoot the second one because he was accross the main channel and would be unretrievable. It took us almost an hour and a half to pick our way accross the fallen in shell ice to where the victim was. It could have been a double but I'm realy glad we did not shoot the second dog!
    Last edited by aksnowshoe; 12-10-2008 at 01:24.

Congrats and nice work callin him in. I was out checking my line in the dark and kept seeing critters run across the trail. Never could tell what they were though.

I was out late last night as well. No luck on my part. Glad you connected.

Thanks
    Carl

Default Going out again?

Are you guys going out again tonight? One of the guys I work with just moved up hear from Seward We're going out again tonight for his first interior pred. action. Hope it's half as good as last night!

I am thinking about heading south tomorrow to try our hand at lynx. Wont be out tonight. But i get out a few nights a week so I ll be back.

Carl

Well good luck if you get to go.

Smile Great Story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    Both of my calling partners had been out of town for a week, one went to Arizona to watch a stock car race, the other went to Kodiak to do some deer hunting (he got three), and I had to stay home and fix my sister in laws froze up house! It didn't seem fair to me. Any way both of them got back to town yesterday, Matt being of the unmarried type was easily persuaded to go with me on last nights hunt. We were on our second stand just settling in when we heard a critter bark behind where we were set up. I got out my sceery howler and gave a greeting howl. Holy cow! You can really get those dogs to talking with that thing. After I talked dog to them for a few minutes I realized that our stand was totally screwed, we were facing the wrong direction! I got up and snuck the 50 yards over to Matt and told him we were doing it wrong and we needed to move. We stayed low trying to keep our shadows from being to noticable while we moved accross the clearing and got settled in the alders on the other side. Once again settled I gave a few screems with my sceery snow shoe in distress call. About 2 or 3 minutes later I saw 2 shadows come out of the cut bank just behind where I was calling from the first time!! It was a pair of coyotes!! they headed down river kind of angling away from me. Of course my thumper was going nuts by now as I was trying to figure out what to do because I was loosing my shot! I rolled out of my sitting position on to my belly and started low crowling through the alders to the edge of the cut bank trying to keep an eye on them, all the while squeezing my mouse squeeker I had stuffed in between my scope and my barrel of my riffle. The one coyote just stopped and sat down about 150 yards away and looked at me, trying to figure out what the heck was going on over there! BOOM-WWHACK dog down! The other dog was all the way accross the river when I got up and went to see if Matt wanted a shot.(he was totin the 12 guage) We disided that we would not shoot the second one because he was accross the main channel and would be unretrievable. It took us almost an hour and a half to pick our way accross the fallen in shell ice to where the victim was. It could have been a double but I'm realy glad we did not shoot the second dog!

Congrats on the coyote. That sounded like a lot of fun. There is just something about coyotes and rivers, they sure do seem to like to hang around them.

Default Thanks casull

I live in Nenana surrounded on 3 sides by river! Virtual predator paradise! Winters off, What more could a guy ask for!

Default Nice....

That is nice one. I am still waiting to call in anything other than an owl.

Default Owls

Ya, I hear you slayer, at least you sound like a dying critter enough to fool a wise old owl!!!! That's the way I look at it any way! Keep callin they will come!