Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patagonia Blow OUT

Default Patagonia Blow OUT

Patagonia web site is having a blow out. I just ordered what would have been $425, I paid $140 with shipping. It was gear I have been looking at for a while and just couldn't pull the trigger because of the price. Now is a good time!

Maybe the reason they are having such a blow out is that there anti Alaska (ANWR) campaign has bit them in the *****. Nothing could get me to buy a thing from them.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I'll never buy anything from Patagonia. Even with the Pro Deal I can get. First off, they are an anti-hunting org. They were very openly active in trying to stop the Bison Hunt in Montana back in 2005 I think it was. A quick google will pull it up. Also they give money to some groups I do not want to fund. Plus I think they are way overpriced, even with Pro Deal discounts. It sounds like the above deal is a rare exception.

There are other places to get clothing with the latest super materials. Each to his own though.

i had similar thoughts as well, and then someone convinced me, 'why not just wear their stuff hunting' and tell them where to stick it. nothing like field dressing small or big game with their clothing.

quick hijack:

all those outdoor companies are left leaning environmentalist types. i don't agree with any of the rhetoric that comes out of those companies. they are hypocrites that preach environmental action, yet make tons of money off the same stuff they are against, including having stuff made in china/taiwan. like patagonia and REI pushing "2 day delivery in time for christmas" which burns a lot of fuel in air transport. that sounds pretty green! so i buy their stuff (patagonia, REI, marmot, etc) and live my life as i want, hunting, burning fuel in my 4Runner, etc.

[QUOTE=hre814;367285]i had similar thoughts as well, and then someone convinced me, 'why not just wear their stuff hunting' and tell them where to stick it. nothing like field dressing small or big game with their clothing.

I think you've hit on something here, I like the idea of gutting out a deer in a Patagonia outfit, take a picture and send it to them advocating how well their outfit works.

Patagonia is not "Anti-Alaska" or "Anti-hunting". I know plenty of Alaskans that are opposed to drilling in ANWR. Does that make them "Anti-Alaska"? No. Patagonia was opposed to the Montana bison hunt in '05 but so were many sportsman's organizations. I know hunters that are against bear baiting. Does that make them "Anti-hunting"? No.

a) I'm REALLY tired of politics.
    b) Patagonia makes some very nice stuff and I own some. (For hunting!)
    c) The web specials are great if you're a midget or a giant. Normal sizes are sold out in anything I was looking at.

But thanks for the tip!

I picked up several items for what I would say is a complete steal. Actually I got 3 items for less than one item would cost at the local mountaineering shop, and this is sweet stuff. To hell with Politics I say, I mean...........we do have black muslim president whos middle and last name are either identical to or one letter away from our nations worst two enemies for the last 10 years! Theres a promo code for free shipping too (even to Alaska), it was the deal of the year!!!!!!!!

Heres a break down on the best deals they have

DAS Parka Normally $275....on sale for $72.50
    Puff Ball Vest Normally $110.....on sale for $32.25
    Micro Puff Pants Normally $160.....on sale for $60

And all these prices are delivered to your door! No extra for shipping using pomo code N6565

I would have never allocated the funds for this stuff , but it is great stuff and how can you not take advantage of those prices?

I too try to give my money to folks that will spend it on causes that are not counter to mine. Doesn't make sense to me to give a $20 donation to a pro hunting lobby & then give $200 to a company that will give $20 to the Humane Society (as an example)....
    Sometimes I have no choices, & sometimes I have no knowledge. This time I have both, & even for great prices I'll skip Patagonia. Personal preference.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Patagonia is not "Anti-Alaska" or "Anti-hunting". I know plenty of Alaskans that are opposed to drilling in ANWR. Does that make them "Anti-Alaska"? No. Patagonia was opposed to the Montana bison hunt in '05 but so were many sportsman's organizations. I know hunters that are against bear baiting. Does that make them "Anti-hunting"? No.
    Maybe I mis stated the facts. They are against all oil drilling, I guess that means they want us in America to continue to be at the mercy of OPEC. They think it is *good* that we in Alaska have the highest prices of gas and fuel in America, yet we are one of the producers. I am a big believer in fleece...and there are plenty of companies without the *attitude* of Patagonia. They are not worth my money for any reason.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Do you guys have ANY idea what organizations your "preferred" vendors support? Have you made any attempt to find out? Is ignorance bliss?

Diversity assures individuality.

I put in an order for the puffball vest the other day and it arrived today....I cant believe anyone in their right mind would pay 110 dollars at full retail price for this vest.... I'm not sure it's worth the 32 dollars i spent on it........ WAYYYYYY OVERRRRR PRICEDDDDDD......... Ken

Default Just wait

Ken it doesnt seem like there is much there but you'll love that piece if you do any backpacking activities. I have been hiking all week in the vest and a light long sleeve thermal in temp ranges of 20* to 30*, very comfortable and even if im working up a sweat with pack on it'll dry when I slow down and keep me warm while it does. Dont knock it yet..
    Last edited by whitepalm; 11-14-2008 at 17:18. Reason: more

Default Plenty of goodies for a 6'6" guy...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Heres a break down on the best deals they have

DAS Parka Normally $275....on sale for $72.50
    Puff Ball Vest Normally $110.....on sale for $32.25
    Micro Puff Pants Normally $160.....on sale for $60

And all these prices are delivered to your door! No extra for shipping using pomo code N6565

I would have never allocated the funds for this stuff , but it is great stuff and how can you not take advantage of those prices?
    I bought a few hundred in stuff too. List would have been way over a grand. Some great prices on some great clothing.
    There was only one posting on this thread last night (jtm9's) and I immediately went shopping online. I didn't see the rest of the anti stuff until just now.

I also try to buy from more "hunter friendly" places.

In any event, thanks for the promo code, Cub. I didn't see or use one, but I just called them and they will honor it tomorrow when I call them back when the service dept is open.

Default Spooky

Alaska Cub, that is almost the same order I made. I got the Das Parka and puffy pants. They are awesome to put on early in the morning or when the sun goes down and your at camp. I would have never bought the gear at the normal price. What a steal!

Default Hey

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    A online bash of a company that makes great geer is no place for you to start spewing logic or facts. This is a place for opinions and theories not your inappropriate posts.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    A online bash of a company that makes great geer is no place for you to start spewing logic or facts. This is a place for opinions and theories not your inappropriate posts.

Yeah I have been called an economic trader a time or two for owning Toyotas instead of Big 3 trucks, but when a guy likes quality stuff whats a guy to do......buy junk?

you guys do know that all the "special alpha green " clothing was made for a military contract that patagonia had. all still great stuff in my opinion

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up

Guys, aside from politics, regardless of where you decide to shop online, do not pay shipping!
    I was doing some vacation (Los Cabos in two weeks <grin>) and Christmas shopping with Land's End's overstock bin and I actually negotiated "no shipplng" with them.

I called Land's End and told them I had my order ready to go but I refused to pay shipping in this competitive ecomony.
    The lady chuckled and then happily provided a shipping promo code which saved me about $20.
    I did the same thing with Patagonia with AKCub's promocode.
    It's a buyer's market--even in Alaska--fight those shipping charges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast