Thread: 09 Tundra 300

Default 09 Tundra 300

Well I did it! After three years of wanting and thinking about the new tundra, I bought two today. These will be additional sleds that my wife and I feel will fit our "laid back, slow going , exploring life style." we live on a lake and want to get out and see more without all the hassles of the older heavy machines that just dig you into trouble.... after supper we are headed out for a tool around the lake and start the break in.

Any other out there that have input and advice about the powered snow shoes is welcome to chime in.

On a side note, I bout mine new in Wasilla and Randy was absolutely more than plesant and professional to deal with, even with my low level purchase. If you are in the market... I would HIGHLY recommend Randy, Top Notch!.

Tom

I second that on Randy and Team CC in Wasilla, they are good folks there.. I got a new '09 550 LT Tundra 3 weeks ago.

What kind of deal did you get on the new Tundra LT 550? I am thinking about getting that machine for my wife.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

It wasn't much of a "deal" they can sell those as fast as they get them. I ordered it last April for delivery in October '08. I got a cover, 12 volt plug and helmet power plug. the 12 v and power plug was thrown in, got 50.00 off the cover. They don't need to give deals on the Tundra... oh well I really like it!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    They don't need to give deals on the Tundra... oh well I really like it!

Aint that the truth, I was trying to buy mine before someone else did, they have been moving them things like hotcakes!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Aint that the truth, I was trying to buy mine before someone else did, they have been moving them things like hotcakes!
    It was that way last year when I bought my 550 LT. As fast at they could un-crate them and assemble them, they were sold.

Hunt-n-photos, if you get your wife one and she lets you ride it, you'll want one or you'll refuse to give hers back to her.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    As fast at they could un-crate them and assemble them, they were sold.
    Shoot thats how it was this year, I had to wait a week for them to get it put together but they had just gotten 4 in, two were already sold and there was 2 of us claiminig the other 2 that were just delievered still in crates. The good news is it appears that if a guy wanted to upgrade to something else in a year or two it wouldn't be hard to sell these Tundras, lots of folks like these things and from what I can tell so far I see why!

Default First Outing

Well I could not stand to look at those new sleds sitting in the driveway.... so Saturday morning we headed out to Redshirt Lake from our place. Took trail 6 out to Cow lake and then across to Redshirt.
    Obviously it was a slow go with only 6"-10" on the ground, but hey the Tundra likes to go nice and easy. What a great little machine and the REV platform puts the FUN back into riding. After 60 miles of riding Saturday I woke up Sunday morning and could not even tell that I had rode 60 miles the day before. The riding position is amazing!

In 60 miles my Tundra used 4.5 gallons of fuel and the wifes used just over 3.5 gallons
    (she is 80 pounds lighter than me).

What a great little Sled.... they never hesitated going anywhere we pointed them. Straight up or winding through the trees making our own trail, they just chugg along like little bull dozers. I am glad we finally pulled the pin and bought them. I can see them being in our family for many years to come.

Tom

Default congrats...

On the new purchase. I also picked up one here in Fairbanks and have only taken it out on a bike trail, (fairbanks makes allowance for access on them) which led to a field where I drove it and found it was very manuverable. I also picked up an Kolpin gun boot and mount system that fit right on the cargo rack. The machine is nimble/responsive for the 300f air cooled engine size but I don't expect it to be a powerhouse.

fyi; There is a thread from a couple weeks back which explains on gearing the sled for pulling and towning.

Kolpin eh? I'll have to check it out. Do you have a part number for the mount?
    Not a power House, but very steady and reasuring. Thanks for the reminder on the gearing post. I saved it for future reference. For now the stock gearing seems like it will suit our needs. Exploring and general back country riding. No real towing for us. Stay in touch and let me know how things develope for you and your machine.

Tom

I tried a Kolpin mount with a gun boot on mine, it wiggled and shook so badly I just couldn't run it that way, so I went another route. This thing is really on there, have ridden several times with it and it doesn't budge.

ak cub... that looks substancial. Does it remove very easily?

Also that gear box looks cool. Can you tell me more about that box and how much it was and where?

Thanks

It does not come off easily, its mounted to be permanently on there. The box is the Ski Doo OEM accessory storage box for the Tundra, with the detachable hardware. I can lift one handle and the box comes right off. Wasn't cheap, I used the skidoo cash incentive to get it. I like it because I wanted something that I could put on and take off with the quickness at my leisure without worrying about ratchet straps and bungies and permanent hardware and all that.

Default Kolpin # 20052 IV With Bracket

It mounted fairly easily, however it may move around some. I hope not as i'll play with the adjustments. On my atv I have a lever-system that was tightend after putting the blade into the boot, locked, and it was very tight. I haven't found another like it. The 20052 system was $89 at Freddies. The one the atv was mail ordered from c&s sales.

I was in CC at Was yesterday and they took a Kolpin mount (the IV loop bracket) and fashioned it much the same way your homemade is on one of the LT's they have on the sales floor. Pretty slick.

Did they mount it to the aluminum tunnel or the rail?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Did they mount it to the aluminum tunnel or the rail?
    A U bolt on the rack to the mount and it looked like they bolted it in one place on the tunnel. But they didn't want me removing the boot and I didn't get on the floor to look it over close.