Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2247

Thread: What are you having for dinner tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    What is the mix for the corn dog batter?
    Thanks, Bob
    This is a link to the recipe I used to make these.I'm sure the other recipe suggested is good also but this is the one I actually made that I know is really good.
    http://www.wildalaskaseafood.com/rec...?recipeId=MjM4
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Found a lost pack of sheep meat hiding in the freezer, so gave it the Slider treatment, topped with some caramelized onions and bacon jelly. Served with a side of baked carrot fries.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I made some spicy salmon lettuce wraps last night following the recipe below. My plating wasn't worthy of a picture, but this one is definitely a winner.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/food...lettuce-wraps/

This is one of our favs, Buffalo Halibut and Habanero cheese grit cakes. Quick and easy, dice halibut into cubes and toss in corn starch, let sit about 10 minutes. In a non stick pan saute at high heat in a bit of grapeseed oil. Remove from heat and pour in your favorite buffalo sauce, return to heat for a minute or so to thicken and set sauce. Serves well with a cheesy side dish.

Founding Member

Fresh winter king....

"– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    This is one of our favs, Buffalo Halibut and Habanero cheese grit cakes. Quick and easy, dice halibut into cubes and toss in corn starch, let sit about 10 minutes. In a non stick pan saute at high heat in a bit of grapeseed oil. Remove from heat and pour in your favorite buffalo sauce, return to heat for a minute or so to thicken and set sauce. Serves well with a cheesy side dish.

Oh my God Steve, when are you going to invite me over for dinner!! Remember that ball cap I found of yours on Kodiak, I think there needs to be some sort of reward involved with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinners on me anytime Brother. I remember and still have it, did wash off the fox poop.
    Founding Member

Birch syrup glazed chicken breast on a 50/50 mixed green salad served in a baked tortilla bowl.
    The birch syrup I made myself and the chicken was absolutely delicious.

Bone in Ribeye with a fresh wild Morel cream sauce.
    Baked potato and all the trimmings.
    Cooked on the Trager grill.
    For dessert I made a cheesecake with a wild blackberry syrup topping I made the other day.

That is a freaking tasty looking meal Chris!
    I would love to try morels one day.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    That is a freaking tasty looking meal Chris!
    I would love to try morels one day.
    Bk
    What!!!??? Youv'e never had Morels?
    You are soooo.... missing out!!
    I would take you out to find em' if you would get your butt down here!

PWS shrimp ettouffe!

I'll take a bowl full please...!!! Looks soooooo good...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thinly stripped moose sirloin tip steak, cut cross-grain, flash fried in a wok with a Szechuan style sauce made with olive oil, coconut oil, soy sauce, garlic, basil, Vietnamese hot pepper paste, a bit of fresh peanut butter in the sauce, alternatively sweetened with maple syrup and a dash of molasses, with broccoli, bok choy, celery, sweet onion, jalapenos, sweet red bell peppers, poblano peppers, carrot strips, and stir-fried with a shrimp broth combined with chicken stock, thickened with a corn starch and broth slurry. Served over short-grain organic brown rice.

Halibut, about time to resupply.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Halibut, about time to resupply.
    Looks wonderful Steve. My wife just started frying halibut in some basil pesto sauce. I absolutely love the flavor. Even the year old fish tastes fantastic!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Salmon salad wrap.

A nice simple one for my overnight work shift and my new favorite way to eat salmon salad. Standard canned salmon salad recipe with romaine lettuce and tomatoes wrapped in a spinach tortilla, served with some dill pickle kettle chips.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post

But tonight was a first. We ate nearly-4-year-old ling cod, and to my surprise,it was very good still, considering its history. Mostly due t the storage technique and conditions. And we got to remember a finegentleman who helped to build the pipeline, and who stood up for folks who weren’talways able to stand up for themselves.

Yep, it was some might tasty ling.

Sounds like a truly excellent meal, sir. Thank you for sharing that story.

You're welcome, Brian. Though I somehow, with the help of a horrible computer connection, managed to delete it.

I'll try to re-post it.

An older person than myself, one of few persons left I’d call'friend,' died this last November. He was a long-time activist in his early 70swith more evidence of patience and love in his heart than I and many othersharbor, despite many struggles over time. Many of them having been struggles hedidn’t have to engage in, but saw them as the right thing to do.

A couple years ago, we were talking about ling cod, and he stated he had someon-hand in his freezer, but had never found it very edible. He claimed itcouldn’t be prepared without it turning to rubber.

I told him that he was obviously not preparing it correctly, and invited himover to try some of our beer-battered tempura ling cod. He accepted, and welaid out his and our ling, prepared the feast, and ate up, utilizing ourhome-made tartar sauce.

He was amazed at the crispy-fried, not-too-heavy, battered fish and sauce. Headmitted it was awesome, and took the left-overs with him to a meeting the nextnight, though I warned him that the conventional oven method was best forre-heating, preferably laid bare on a cookie sheet, and to re-heat it at about350 f. for perhaps 12-15 minutes in order to keep it crispy on the second go.The left-overs vanished at the meeting in seconds from what he’d reported.

As thanks for his lesson and the left-overs for the road, he’d left a largerfillet of ling that was very tightly vacuum-sealed in a good quality bag, and wasalready over 2 years old when he gave it to us. I didn’t say a word to himabout the age of the fish, though he volunteered that it was a well-agedpackage.

I placed It in our newer freezer, a 21 cu. Ft. energy-star-rated upright, whereit sat for well over a year and a half,

The fish, now nearly 4 years old, had been kept at about -15 to -20 f for thetime it was in our freezer (I can’t speak to his freezer’s temps, and he’s now deceased, so I can't inquire).

I don’t like to waste anything, and there was no sign of freezer burn on this package of nearly-ancient ling cod. So tonight, after thawing it last evening, we preparedthe ling cod in the same way we had when he’d given it to us.

While a bit less oily, and admittedly more firm, it was still quite good. No foulflavor, etc. It vanished like those fillets did when he came over to learn ourmethods.

Chris was about 72 years old when he died, and always had kind words, even whenhe had a right to put someone abruptly in their place.. I miss him, and I keephis photo from his memorial service hanging over my computer desk. Onoccasion, in moment of despair, anger, or uncertainty, I look at his smilingface, and ask, “What would Chris have done/said/thought?” In that regard, histeachings still reverberate. I’ve told his widow that as well.

But tonight was a first. We ate nearly-4-year-old ling cod, and to my surprise,it was very good still, considering its history. And we got to remember a finegentleman who helped to build the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, and who stood up for folks who weren’talways able to stand up for themselves.

Yep, it was some tasty ling.

Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast